Metamorphosis Alpha 1E to return in Goodman relaunch

Here we can discuss James M. Ward's METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA game.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Metamorphosis Alpha 1E to return in Goodman relaunch

Post by finarvyn »

And the nice thing is that the main rulebook is already written so there isn't much of that "what if they don't get it done" risk found in many kickstarters. While it's true that not all of the new add-ons are written and ready, at least GG has a proven record at getting those sorts of products out on schedule.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Backer here too.

Id like to see other old games get this treatment- Gangbusters, BootHill, Star Frontiers, Bunnies & Burrows(LOL!).
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Blood Axe wrote:Id like to see other old games get this treatment- Gangbusters, BootHill, Star Frontiers, Bunnies & Burrows(LOL!).
An interesting thought. I own copies of each of these and have played them all. Personally, I'd put Boot Hill at the top because it's long been one of my favorite RPGs. (My "big three" in the 1970's was D&D, Boot Hill, and Metamorphosis Alpha.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

Congrats! Fantastic Kickstarter. The kicktraq graphs show that it almost hit the 'projected' from the first day of funding. Very interesting! I think there is more life left in this game!
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

finarvyn wrote:
Blood Axe wrote:Id like to see other old games get this treatment- Gangbusters, BootHill, Star Frontiers, Bunnies & Burrows(LOL!).
An interesting thought. I own copies of each of these and have played them all. Personally, I'd put Boot Hill at the top because it's long been one of my favorite RPGs. (My "big three" in the 1970's was D&D, Boot Hill, and Metamorphosis Alpha.)

Any way of finding out who owns the rights to these games now? Perhaps GG will be interested in picking them up.
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

star frontiers is in a wierd place.

I think someone at TSR game someone permission to digitially publish star frontiers. So they did. When WotC got involved they seem to have green lighted that very thing.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Blood Axe wrote:
Any way of finding out who owns the rights to these games now? Perhaps GG will be interested in picking them up.
As to Gangbusters, the only place I know with Gangbusters discussion is my OD&D boards (see link in my signature). Rick Krebs is the main author of Gangbusters and he posts there sometimes.

Boot Hill is listed as Gygax & Blume. I'd guess that TSR (now WotC) owns the rights to it.

Star Frontiers (as was noted before) has a revised version as a free download at starfrontiers.com or some such address. I don't recall the authors offhand but it's probably still owned by WotC.

Bunnies & Burrows was a FGU product and I haven't kept up with their company to know what's up with them. I know that as of a few years ago they had a website where you could still buy some of their old games, but I have no idea if it's still around. I don't think that B&B was on their list of games for sale, though.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

finarvyn wrote:
Blood Axe wrote:
As to Gangbusters, the only place I know with Gangbusters discussion is my OD&D boards (see link in my signature). Rick Krebs is the main author of Gangbusters and he posts there sometimes.

Boot Hill is listed as Gygax & Blume. I'd guess that TSR (now WotC) owns the rights to it.

Star Frontiers (as was noted before) has a revised version as a free download at starfrontiers.com or some such address. I don't recall the authors offhand but it's probably still owned by WotC.

Bunnies & Burrows was a FGU product and I haven't kept up with their company to know what's up with them. I know that as of a few years ago they had a website where you could still buy some of their old games, but I have no idea if it's still around. I don't think that B&B was on their list of games for sale, though.

GG has expressed an interest in giving the same treatment to other old RPGs.(I asked them) We just need to find out whats available & who owns the rights.

Return to “Metamorphosis Alpha”