Pure strain human?

Here we can discuss James M. Ward's METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA game.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Parrishmatrix
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Nan's

Pure strain human?

Post by Parrishmatrix »

I understand the advantage of being a pure strain human is the leadership ability. Anything else? I thought I read that only humans could use the bands but now I can't find that anywhere. I do not imagine any of my players will select human. I am using the first edition rules. I have more questions but will start with this. I appreciate any input.

Thanks!
thogard
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Pure strain human?

Post by thogard »

Artificial intelligences are less likely to recognize mutants as human, and may consider mutated animals to be pets.
DavetheLost
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DavetheLost »

Properly functioning Ship's robots and androids are programmed never to harm a human. This can be a significant advantage.

Pure Strain Humans also recieve a bonus on the Artifact Complexity chart. The book gives it as +1, but as the chart is for a percentile roll the general consensus is that this should be +10.

I allow PSH (only) to roll their abilities with 4d6 drop the lowest and give them d8 instead of d6 hit dice. These two changes make them much tougher. I figure that the surviving humans have been selected for toughness in the harsh environmentof the Warden.

Leadership Potential should not be written off lightly. Not only can the human character recruit followers, most life forms on teh ship have a respect for pur strain humans that they do not for mutants.
Parrishmatrix
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Nan's

Post by Parrishmatrix »

Thanks for the responses!
DavetheLost
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DavetheLost »

One huge advantage PSH characters have over others is that Ship's equipment is designed for them. Medications are much more likely to work properly instead of being deadly poison. Power armor, radiation suits, goggles, respirators, all will fit. Tools are made for hands not claws.
Murlynd
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Murlynd »

The authorization rings or bands were designed by humans for humans, they might be only usable by humans, depending upon how the arbiter chooses. This is a Warden specific bit, though.

I felt the energy weapons would have more fine controls, being difficult for many non-humans to use. Perhaps increasing these items complexity based upon the number of applicable mutations.

Rather than using the +1 on the Item Complexity Level table, which is an errata rule, I allow pure strain humans to use their leadership potential instead of mental resistance, whichever is higher.

Pure strain humans are more likely to use domar as currency, which can make trade between pure strain human enclaves easier.

I allowed a pure strain human a chance to know the ancient language. Language complexity could be as high as 1, depending how the arbiter wants to set it on the Complexity Level table.

When using Metamorphosis for settings other than the Warden, pure strains can be a lot more straight forward for player characters, such as was done in the Fallout games.

Return to “Metamorphosis Alpha”