The Corpse That Love Built - PbP

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

The Corpse That Love Built - PbP

Post by GnomeBoy »

Roll up, generate purple-y, steal, or borrow a 2nd Level DCC Character, whether from the Rulebook or from an official 3PP and let's get going! Jump on in.

SPOILERS START NOW

In your wanderings and travels, you've heard rumors that have finally mounted up enough to peak your interest, and you've journeyed to the village of Portnelle, a quaint cobblestone and brick-building village on a hilly plot of land, having a population of perhaps 400, all told. The rumors you've heard are some combination of the following:

1. Old Man Hobbs eldest son was found a month ago in a creek, missing one arm and one leg.

2. Dr. von Geisterblut, an elf who has lived in the area for centuries, squandered his entire fortune remodeling his family's home and tower into the likeness of the red-haired wife he lost on their wedding day centuries ago.

3. Since he was disowned by his family centuries before, he's been nothing but trouble for the town of Portnelle.

4. Mistrusted witch of the hills, Rabiveen has been overheard saying that babies born this last year will have shorter lifespans because "that crazy elf" has been stealing souls.

5. Von Geisterblut is called "Doctor" because before he was cut-off from his family he was known as a healer, having saved many people from wounds that otherwise would have killed them.

6. Dr. von Geisterblut was banned from town after being caught graverobbing a decade ago.

7. Dr. von Geisterblut was obsessed with the un-dead. He would badger every adventurer that passed through town with macabre questions if they'd had any interactions with such unholy creatures.

8. Dr. von Geisterblut's entire family was slaughtered by ant men on the day of his wedding.

9. Several people have gone mysteriously missing! Hando Hairfoot, the DaLacey twins, and even Lady Michaela -- who went missing just last night!

At the time your character arrives, during a building storm, you find local folks all walking solemnly toward the square and entering the Portnelle chapel, and you enter with them. The shutters start to slam against the windows as Father Giralt, looking older than stone and as pale as milk, takes position at the front of the room, dressed in robes made of human hair.

As folks settle in, the priest announces, "Aristemis has sent me a vision! The disappearances, the mutilations, the mysteries we've all seen... Aristemis has shown me that they all lay at the feet of Dr. von Geisterblut!"

The locals all groan and shift uncomfortably... the old man may as well as laid blame on the horns of the Solstice Dryad. He's talking nonsense. Sure, you hear someone near you murmur, the old elf is a recluse now, and the tales around him get more outrageous every year -- but they're just tales, stories to scare kids to stay in bed at night.

"This is no jest, my friends! Aristemis has spoken to me! Cover yourself in the blood of your ancestors for protection this night! Then those of us who survive can prevent further bloodshed by breaching the keep of Geisterblut on the morrow to prevent the awakening of the Abomination!" The first crash of thunder strikes as the wind increases, tearing through the streets of Portnelle.

Father Giralt is holding a small glass vial, and begins applying a rusty colored paste from it onto his face. "With the guidance and warnings of Aristemis, we shall get through this trial!"

At that moment, the chapel doors fly inward off their hinges and three human-shaped figures stand in the doorway!

"It is too late!" the old man cries, "the Doom is upon us!"

ROLL FOR INITIATIVE!

So, yeah, just grab a character and start posting your character's reaction to the above. Once we have at least three folks joining in, I'll start resolving the rounds -- but don't let that stop you! Maybe your character is late to the party, but there's plenty of party to join! Just start posting and I'll indicate when we're at capacity. I'll update at least once a day, more to answer questions, or if everyone who's in has had a chance to chime in...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop

Re: The Corpse That Love Built - PbP

Post by Judge_Yossarian »

"Ancestor's blood? Heh. I've stuck plenty of men what were covered in blood and it didn't help 'em any. Say old man, was this guy really as rich as I heard he was?"

INIT Roll: 1+2=3

Obadiah the "Sharp" is as slow to react as he is to think, which is to say, very slow. The large, ugly former tax-collector simply follows his instinct to raise his boar-spear and stab at the nearest hostile thing, trying to force it backward or to the ground.

Attack Roll: Deed die 1d4=4, Attack 1d20+4+1=18, Damage 1d8+4+1=6

Obadiah the Sharp
Chaotic Warrior (2nd level)
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 14
Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1

Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5))

Equipment: Rope - 50' (25 cp)
Funds: 530 gp, 120CP
Lucky sign: Seventh son (Spell checks) (-1)
Languages: Common
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Thanks for jumping in, Judge Y!

Do I take it rightly that "push back" or knock prone" is your Deed with that attack?

Also, if you want to have "already spent" any of that gp on additional equipment, go right ahead...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot

GnomeBoy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:20 am Thanks for jumping in, Judge Y!

Do I take it rightly that "push back" or knock prone" is your Deed with that attack?

Also, if you want to have "already spent" any of that gp on additional equipment, go right ahead...
Yep, I'll be more specific about the deed next time. I'll update the equipment next post.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Hail GB! Maybe you'll recall this monster you created:

Little Kylie (C) Orphan - pint-sized problem child... her small frame and baby face give her a younger, more innocent appearance than she's earned, and marks her as the spitting image of the daughter Gunnar lost to war in the Frozen North.
Now calling herself Black Kylessa, her dark magic manifested through her doll after the death of most of her party (the Iron Freebooters) in Oll-Zen's dungeon beneath Punjar! She's since been wandering the countryside spending her cut of Oll Zen's loot, tagging along with other unsavory characters, and seeking to expand her spell knowledge- if witch Rabiveen can't teach her something new, perhaps the Dr. can!

INIT 16+2+19
Kylessa squeals: "You woke Mara!" then giggling at the opportunity to "play" and clutching her doll with glee, makes a strange gesture as she intones one of the arcane formulae Mara once whispered into her ear amid fitful dreams. A small meteorite streaks from her fingers toward the central figure with a whizzing sound.
Magic Missile spellcheck 15, one missile, 3 dmg

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

YESSSS!!

...I wonder if we could scare up anyone else from that session...?

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

GnomeBoy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:59 pm YESSSS!!

...I wonder if we could scare up anyone else from that session...?
Messages have been sent to Prodigal Williams and Jeff C. We'll see if the diabolist Sanitor, the warrior Thomas (and his chicken) yet live!
Last edited by Fenris Ulfhamr on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Awesome. Thank you.

a500dude
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by a500dude »

If this is still happening, I'd be interested. Pretty new to DCC though. I played in one funnel during Virtual Gary Con.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Still HAPPENING...!

If you don't have the rulebook with which to knock a character together, you can generate a "higher-level" character at Purple Sorcerer: https://purplesorcerer.com/create_upper.php

Welcome aboard! :D

a500dude
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by a500dude »

Thanks! I do have the book. I just haven't figured out how to go from level 0 to level 2. I'll read a bit more this evening and if I can't figure it out I'll use that website.
Hodin "Nightclaw" Roldwan: Lawful Warrior (2nd level), Soldier
Str: 13 (+1), Agi: 7 (-1), Sta: 16 (+2), Per: 8 (-1), Int: 13 (+1), Lck: 6 (-1)
HP: 7/12; Speed: 25; Init: 1, AC: 15, Ref: 0; Fort: 3; Will: -1, Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Longsword melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Armor: Chainmail + Shield (+6) Check penalty (-6) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)
Equipment: Backpack, Flint+Steel, iron spikes (5), crowbar, lantern, oil (5 flasks), rope (50'), waterskin, rations (5 days)
Funds: 388 gp, 75 cp; Languages: Common, Giant
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

a500dude wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:32 pm If this is still happening, I'd be interested. Pretty new to DCC though. I played in one funnel during Virtual Gary Con.
Welcome...Dude!

My character is a survivor from a funnel I played with GnomeBoy a couple years back, but if you have a=one or not, this site is awesome at generating characters of any class or level:
https://purplesorcerer.com/create_upper.php

a500dude
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by a500dude »

Thanks! I have three characters who survived a funnel. Should I move one of them into level 2 from level 1? Or would it be better to roll one up / have one created at Purple Sorcerer? What kind of equipment etc would a character created in this way be expected to have?
Equipment: Backpack, Flint+Steel, iron spikes (5), crowbar, lantern, oil (5 flasks), rope (50'), waterskin, rations (5 days)
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

a500dude wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:02 pm Thanks! I have three characters who survived a funnel. Should I move one of them into level 2 from level 1? Or would it be better to roll one up / have one created at Purple Sorcerer? What kind of equipment etc would a character created in this way be expected to have?
I just boosted my level 1 survivor to 2 with the book because I like the character. I kept whatever I had from the end of that funnel.

Do we have an equipment allowance to have spent before the game, Gnomeboy?

SUPER stoked to have a third player- haven't done a PbP in a while!

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I have no particular concern over what equipment you have... The winds blow every which-way in DCC-land, so who's to say you aren't hungry for food, much less for equipment. Or maybe you've had a landfall, and are equipped with everything you can get your hands on... Which is a long-winded way to say that the guidance on page 70 gives you more money than you can spend. Go with that, if it suits how you see your character.

As for the Funnel survivor, if you like just level them right up to 2nd. Or maybe you'd like to play two or three 1st Level characters??

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Ooh! If that’s an option I could bring Brun AND Kylie at level 1- just as they were in Punjar! Whaddya think?

edit: disregard! I’ll stick with what I have, plus a little gear!
Last edited by Fenris Ulfhamr on Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a500dude
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by a500dude »

Hodin likes to think he does the right thing, and in this case that means attempting to protect Father Giralt.

INIT Roll: 8+1=9

He moves into the doorway with sword drawn, attempting to block the human-shaped figures from entering the chapel.

Attack Roll: Deed die 1d4=3, Attack 1d20+3+1=19, Damage 1d8+3+1=11

Hodin "Nightclaw" Roldwan
Lawful Warrior (2nd level)
Strength: 13 (+1)
Agility: 7 (-1)
Stamina: 16 (+2)
Personality: 8 (-1)
Intelligence: 13 (+1)
Luck: 6 (-1)

HP: 12; Speed: 25; Init: 1
Ref: 0; Fort: 3; Will: -1

Base Attack Mod: d4
Attack Dice: 1d20; Crit Die/Table: 1d14/III
Main Weapon: Longsword melee d4+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Spear melee d4+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)

AC: (15)* (Chainmail + Shield (+6) Check penalty (-6) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5))
Equipment: Holy symbol (25 gp)
Funds: 35 cp + 384 gp
Lucky sign: Bountiful harvest (Hit points, applies each level) (-1)
Languages: Common, Giant
Warrior trait: Lucky weapon (Two-handed sword) (-1)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Kylessa shouts and giggles and her meteorite strikes one of the figures, sizzling into it's shoulder!

Hodin moves in and slices deep with his sword, felling the figure he struck and causing the other two to have trouble advancing...

Obadiah jabs at the third figure, his spear tip sinking easily about 5 inches into it's ...flesh?

The two still able to move push forward slowly. As they enter the light of the chapel, you can see they are faceless and featureless, smooth people made from clay, without distinguishing marks of any kind. Kylessa's meteorite fizzles and fades from a depth of about 2 inches in the shoulder of one of them. Obadiah's spear is lodged in the flesh of another (make a DC 8 Reflex Save to retrieve it instantly). Hodin's sword is likewise hard to pull back from the now-inert thing's body (DC 8 Reflex Save to remove this round).

The pair of them attack Obadiah and Hodin, bringing their heavy limbs down upon you in smashing blows!

vs. Hodin: atk 16, 2 damage
vs. Obadiah: atk 19, 2 damage

[If you successfully retrieve your weapons, you are free to use them. If you fail the Saves, then you can make a Str check vs. DC 8 on Round Two or employ another weapon or perform some other action.]

ROUND TWO...!

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Kylessa smiles, her fingers reaching out toward the strange creatures as she intones again...
Magic Missle spellcheck 10 -Lost. Failure.
...her eyes widen and smile fades as the spell fizzles out! She scolds her doll: "Don't be shy NOW, Mara!"

a500dude
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by a500dude »

"Uuhhh!" Hodin groans. It's a nasally low-pitched monotone groan.

Save roll 1d20=16

He pulls his sword out and swings at one of the other clay figures.

Attack Roll: Deed die 1d4=3, Attack 1d20+3+1=12, Damage 1d8+3+1=12
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot

"What the..." Obadiah mutters as he twists at his stuck spear.

Ref save 1d20+1=4+1=5 (fail)

He curses as the spear haft is snatched out of his hands, and reels back at the blow that comes down on his stabbin' arm from the other one.
Obadiah is definitely slow, but he understands destruction, and notices that the clay seems soft. He bashes at the clay man that attacked him with his shield, attempting to crush its head.

Deed roll 1d4=3, Attack roll 1d20+3+1=20, Damage 1d3+3+1=5

/ooc I equipped him up as you suggested and put the new character details in my signature. I gave a shield attack a 1d3 damage as Dwarves get but if that's not cool or you want something else feel free to roll that for me!
--------------

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hodin and Obadiah take down the two standing clay men, struggling with weapons or not. The clay men lay at your feet like so much inert matter, like a heap of partially disassembled mannequins waiting for storage.

The crowd in the small chapel is frozen with shock and looking for guidance. They have left a wide berth around you three, naturally moving from the fighting by the doorway, but also giving Kylessa as much space as possible. Magic is a thing to be feared. They are almost like lumber bundled and leaning against the walls of the chapel.

Father Geralt, quickly noting the cessation of movement, shouts out, "Aristemis' vision was truth! What more proof do you need? Even now the Abomination that Aristemis has revealed to me is being readied to walk this land! More deaths will follow, if the thing is not stopped!" He pulls out a dagger, and starts scraping away what there is of his own hair in sacrifice and penance...

So now we need to know: do you take him at his word? Do you think him an old fool? Discuss amongst yourselves where you think you should go from here... You've seen each other exhibit talents that come few and far between in the world. IF there IS supernatural menace loose tonight, there may be no other such talents for leagues to deal with it...!

[And attacking with the shield is spot on... It's not the free attack which a Dwarf would get, but using a shield as a weapon certainly seems like it's in the Warrior's compass.]

Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Obadiah looks the wreckage of the clay man up and down as he tugs out his spear.

"Well, this is some odd magic. Someone built these buggers, but didn't arm 'em. Not much of a soldier this, more like a guard dog. And ye don't build magic guards unless ye've got somethin to... well, guard, ye see. I don't know nothin' about abominations, but I'm itchin' to find out what this old nut did with all his money. Equal shares, of course, if ye'll watch me back while we look."

If the others are amenable, he'll ready his arms, light his lantern, hang it from his pack and head out.
--------------

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Kylessa replies:
”Yes, yes! If you’re gonna go see this doctor I’m going to! I wanna see what other toys and tricks he may have...”
Can she carve off a bit of the clay that forms them, or tell anything about what they are?

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:56 pm Can she carve off a bit of the clay... or tell anything about what they are?
As Kylessa examines them, they are just so much soft clay. There is nothing embedded in them, nothing on the surface. Just clay.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”