First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Initiative = 5 (no modifier)

* Smythe throws down the pole and in a swirl of his cloak draws his dagger! If one of the moles draws near he will slash at it! (Should I roll? 18-1=17 for the attack, 3 damage if so.)

* Quentin, who had his wee knife out, feels slightly less enthusiastic about entering into hand-to-hand combat now there's something with teeth in front of him. He reaches into his small sack instead (as a move action?) and will hurl an apricot at one of the beasties, in the hopes of creating a bit of a distraction (I doubt it would do much damage, but that's the judge's call!). (9 on the roll, no agility bonus).

* Sally hears the commotion and slowly moves towards the now-open door. She takes a quick look but she is still interested in what's coming up behind them. She'll give it a round or so of watching before joining the fray, lest something tries to jump on them from behind.

* Beezel looks at his compatriots of the sword, and says "shall we, gents? All together, let's point the sword at one of those things, and STRIKE!"
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13--sign: saving throws (+1)
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8-- sign: broken star (fumbles) (-1)
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15--sign: the bull (attack+1)
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10--sign: spider bite (poison save, +0)

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:02 pm

[OOC}
Just checking in... hope everyone is doing ok?
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13--sign: saving throws (+1)
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8-- sign: broken star (fumbles) (-1)
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15--sign: the bull (attack+1)
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10--sign: spider bite (poison save, +0)

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:59 pm

/OOC I've actually been sick a few days so I've been fine waiting on people. But I'll resolve a round tomorrow if no one else posts.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:48 pm

[OOC] Sounds like there's a bug lurking! No rush on my account-- & take care!
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13--sign: saving throws (+1)
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8-- sign: broken star (fumbles) (-1)
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15--sign: the bull (attack+1)
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10--sign: spider bite (poison save, +0)

User avatar
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 pm
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports
Location: Calgary, Canada

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Vort » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:00 pm

[ooc]
Sorry to hear it, Judge_Yossarian, hope you feel better soon! I did my best not to pass it around. :mrgreen:
Init: 4+1 = 5
[/ooc]

Shifty, who didn't really put that much effort into helping open the door: "Yai!" He leaps back at the sight of the mole things to create some distance, and whips out his trusty sling set with a rock. [That's two move actions so I'm guessing he can't attack this round.]

Shaky's legs start to shake as he clutches his club tightly: "Get out of there, Shifty!"

Beadle Bailey Bramford: "My word! We found some nastible creatures to vanquish! Just h-h-how does this sw-sw-sword w-w-work?" he asks, holding on awkwardly to the moving sword with one hand, having his staff in the other hand, and trying to keep up with the others as they move and jostle. If a mole creature comes close he'll try to whack-a-mole with his staff. [attack: nat 1, fumble! rolled 8 on fumble table! Question for future reference: do you want us to go ahead and describe the effect of fumbles, or do you want to handle those yourself? Yeah, first attack roll and it's a fumble ...]

The Illuminating Ankh: looks to Sally and asks "Can you see what's going on up there? I can't see a thing for all the bodies in the way!"
Trevor / Road Crew (Calgary)
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)

User avatar
ManjoBan
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 pm
FLGS: Collectors Connection
Location: Duluth, MN

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by ManjoBan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:55 pm

[OOC] For some reason the GG Forum isn’t letting me post from my PC. I keep getting a 404 error message. Waiting on a reply from someone at GG
Wiola Copperpence,Halfling Trader, N -- AC 11, 4 hp -- R+1, F+1, W-1 -- str 11, agi 13, sta 14, per 8, int 6, luc 12
Elvelyn Quillback, Scribe, N -- AC 11, 1 hp -- R+1, F-1, W+1 -- str 13, agi 12, sta 7, per 13, int 10, luc 13
Benedict Beatletongue, Beadle, C -- AC 10, 5 hp -- R0, F+1, W0 -- str 14, agi 11, sta 13, per 12, int 11, luc 8
Darryl Pennypinch, Tax Collector, L -- AC 7, 4 hp -- R-3, F+1, W+1 -- str 14, agi 3, sta 13, per13, int 13, luc 11

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3711
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by GnomeBoy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:28 pm

[Sorry for the delay -- was too busy with the booth and things to get on here over the weekend, and needed a couple days to catch up on stuff when I got back! I did get two games in, one I ran and one I played in...]

Init 14.

Zend, one of the sword bearers, shouts "STRIKE" while trying to angle the sword tip to aim at the most convenient mole-thing, at which he is staring intently.

Mercer swings his short sword at a handy mole-thing, hoping to cut it down... Atk Roll: 2!

In the heat of the moment, Dejah swats at a mole-thing with a torch as if it were a club. Atk Roll: 4!

Kuruz
hides at the back of the crowd.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 2 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3711
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by GnomeBoy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:34 pm

ManjoBan wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:55 pm
[OOC] For some reason the GG Forum isn’t letting me post from my PC. I keep getting a 404 error message. Waiting on a reply from someone at GG
I just bumped into that issue, too.... I just paged back, copied what I'd written so I wouldn't lose the post, and then started over by going to the Board Index and getting back to the thread. It worked that time, anyway. Not convenient, but better than nothing for now...

EDIT: Then this post went through just fine.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 2 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:10 am

/OOC oh well, I'll go ahead and process a round of violence in the meantime. I'll consider Manjo's people as held actions so they'll roll to the top of init next round.
The first creature leaps through the door at Shifty, but he is agile enough to dodge. (Attack roll 5)

The second creature charges at the unlucky Beadle Bailey Bramford, and drives him to the ground, tearing at his throat (Attack roll 12, damage 4, RIP)

The third and fourth creatures leap onto BBB's corpse and start tearing at his flesh.

As the others look on, appalled by the death of their comrade, Zend shouts STRIKE, gripping the hilt of the sword, and...
(Spell Check= Nat 20 +8 holy hell!)

The party watches in amazement as the whole sword glows, and four ghostly, semi-transparent images of the swords shoot from the hilt, transfixing each of the mole-creatures through their scruffy necks and killing them instantly. As the ghost-swords fade and disappear, the creatures' heads roll off bloodlessly, the wounds having been cauterized by the force of the spell.

A shocked silence fills the chamber, interrupted by another deep rumbling sound.
//OOC Well, so much for "next round." Out of initiative for the moment, lets have some actions then.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3711
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by GnomeBoy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:07 am

Zend lets go of the sword in shock, probably causing everyone else holding to lose their grip as well(?).

"What spirits inhabit this thing?!"

Mercer and Dejah cautiously move forward to collect the heads, assuming they have value above, even though they aren't rat heads.

Kuruz wraps scraps of fabric from the floor onto the end of his 10-ft pole and ties them as tightly as he can. "Det soord might come in handy fur the rest of this expi-dishun..."
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 2 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:04 pm

Quentin scrubs his hand against his trousers. The Beadle was an odd man, sure enough, but he didn't deserve to go like this! All the same, he'll kneel beside the man to check whether he's still alive. Perhaps there might still be some way to save him, if they can get him back to the lift in time. Maybe their employers can help...

Beezel will struggle with the sword. I suspect with only two left holding it he'll have to jump back to avoid it landing on his foot! "It worked!" he cries. "Surely this will aid our quest from here on!"

Smythe steps to the side to avoid getting any blood on his shoes. Now that things have calmed down a bit he wants to survey the room to see if there is any more to it, exits and suchlike?

Sally frowns at the thunder, and Dog's ears flatten against his head. She's not convinced this sword is going to be a good thing for the group, long-term. After a quick look over at the carnage, she's satisfied that all the beasties were killed. She looks back down the hall. Does anything emerge?
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13--sign: saving throws (+1)
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8-- sign: broken star (fumbles) (-1)
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15--sign: the bull (attack+1)
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10--sign: spider bite (poison save, +0)

User avatar
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 pm
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports
Location: Calgary, Canada

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Vort » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Beadle Bailey Bramford: "So, anyway, there I was, when, ... gah AH AAHHHHHajgjrkasdjkklallk kkkkkkkk---"

[ooc]First kill! Ach, I have to say I think he became my favorite of the four. Ah well. RIP good Beadle.[/ooc]

Shifty, looking first at Beadle's gnawed-upon corpse, then at the sword: "Ta quote the late Beadle: 'Well, I'll be.' That sword durn worked, dinnit? Lemme give ya boys a hand wi' that." and he'll take up the Beadle's position on the sword hilt.

The Illuminating Ankh: "Well, that was fairly abrupt. That man certainly could prattle on, couldn't he? DO REMEMBER TO GET THE HEADS!" he shouts to those in the front. "Now, I wonder what that rumbling sound is about? Couldn't hear it earlier for all the talking the good Beadle was doing. Well, if I didn't know better..." and he prattles on without realizing the incongruity of his words.

Shaky to Sally: "Well, lass, what do ye suppose is down that way? See anything?" and he holds his torch a bit higher to cast some light on the subject. "Whatever it is, I wager it's not going to be good..."
Trevor / Road Crew (Calgary)
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)

User avatar
ManjoBan
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 pm
FLGS: Collectors Connection
Location: Duluth, MN

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by ManjoBan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:22 am

[ooc] maybe this post will work? OH MY GOD I THINK IT WORKED. I have been totally unable to post on this forum for almost a week. I'll try and hop back in assuming these posts keep working. Sorry for seemingly dropping off of the face of the earth. I emailed GoodmanGames and am waiting for a reply about how to potentially fix it. I did what GnomeBoy recommended, but to no avail. I am able to post on my work computer it seems. I'll clear my cookies on my laptop and try again tonight?
Wiola Copperpence,Halfling Trader, N -- AC 11, 4 hp -- R+1, F+1, W-1 -- str 11, agi 13, sta 14, per 8, int 6, luc 12
Elvelyn Quillback, Scribe, N -- AC 11, 1 hp -- R+1, F-1, W+1 -- str 13, agi 12, sta 7, per 13, int 10, luc 13
Benedict Beatletongue, Beadle, C -- AC 10, 5 hp -- R0, F+1, W0 -- str 14, agi 11, sta 13, per 12, int 11, luc 8
Darryl Pennypinch, Tax Collector, L -- AC 7, 4 hp -- R-3, F+1, W+1 -- str 14, agi 3, sta 13, per13, int 13, luc 11

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 pm

/OOC at Manjo:

Cool, I'll give you a bit more time to respond if you can, then move things forward late tonight or in the morning.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:09 pm

/ooc well I guess technical difficulty continues. In the meantime, here's a post...
Surveying the room, Smythe sees very little. Large sides of unidentifiable meat hang from hooks in the ceiling while ruined crates hold the shriveled remains of what may have once been produce. It appears to have once been a cold storage cellar, and it is still slightly below freezing in there. There are no visible exits or doors other than the one you came in through.


As Sally and Shifty peer into the darkness behind you, they hear a faint chittering sound, as first a set of antennae, then a spindly leg, and then an insectoid head the size of a dinner plate creep into view. It appears to be some kind of giant insect, and there seem to be several of them. Your vigilance has paid off and you notice them before they notice you, although only the foremost creature is partially visible.

Roll for initiative! You get a surprise round.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:54 pm

My group gets 9 on initiative, no modifiers

Sally is going to go first of my group, I guess it makes sense as she and Shifty noticed the insects. She shouts "Bugs! Behind us!" and will attempt (if there is room) to move backwards/retreat further towards the door. If it's possible to go through the doorway so as to narrow the, er, engagement area, she'll do that. Also she has one hitpoint (an old injury?) and so has a reasonable sense of self-preservation; she knows she can't afford to be hit!

[ooc] I guess Dog is a sort of "attached NPC" (at least I'm treating him that way)? I expect he will be barking (like sheepdogs do), but I've also seen sheepdogs in action and I know they don't just belt around without being told to first. So he'll be going bananas at her side but I can't see him bolting forward unless you would like me to somehow make some sort of animal control check, hehe!

Quentin, has realised there's nothing to be done for the Beadle, and so stands up to look at what this next commotion is all about. If he can act he will reach for another apricot, this time to lob down the hallway. He reasons, maybe the insects are hungry and a bit of food might slow them down. (I suspect that is too many actions for their surprise round though.)

Beezel pricks up his ears. "What ho?" He rather liked how the sword felt in his hands as it blasted the mole-thingies. He's pumped. "Into the breach again, my friends!" he shouts, and encourages the others to point and blast at whatever is coming down the hall (if they can find a clear space to aim through). I don't know about the others holding the sword (the Brotherhood of the Sword?) but he is eager to push his way to the back (now front) of the group to engage this new enemy.

[ooc] (I fear he may be getting a bit trigger-happy.)

Smythe was looking around the room in disgust. His plan was to start poking around with the pole (or perhaps get the others to drop the sword on the ground again, to see which way it pointed this time), but Sally's shout puts him into a bit of a panic. Insects? he thinks. Please don't let it be spiders, please don't let it be spiders! He moves to the doorway and tries to look over the others to see what is coming down the hall.
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13--sign: saving throws (+1)
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8-- sign: broken star (fumbles) (-1)
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15--sign: the bull (attack+1)
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10--sign: spider bite (poison save, +0)

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3711
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by GnomeBoy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:58 am

Init: 12

Kuruz drops his cheese-lure and takes up his club, trying his best to stay away from the bugs. If one gets near him, his attack is 19! & damage 3!

Zend surges forward to smash bugs with his shovel! Attack 15, damage 4!

Mercer and Dejah are (I think) deeper into the room and thus furthest from the bugs. They collectively try to take down a slab of the meat and will subsequently try to move forward with it, to perhaps flop onto multiple bugs....
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 2 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

User avatar
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 pm
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports
Location: Calgary, Canada

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Vort » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:43 am

[ooc]
Init: 12

To clarify: Shaky is by Sally and the bugs, Shifty grabbed on to help with the sword. Sorry for the confusingly similar names, but that's what you get with twins. :) And I almost got them backwards there myself...
[/ooc]

Shaky: "Yaiyy!" He lashes out with his torch, trying to keep the insects at bay and maybe singe some antennae. [Attack: 6]

Shifty nods in agreement with Beezel: "Aye, let's get t'sword up to the front!" and will follow Beezel's lead. "Pr'aps we cn fire this thing frum ere? How's it work!?" he shouts on the run.

The Illuminating Ankh, standing near the incoming insects, takes a cue from Shaky and brandishes his torch, lighting it in a pass through the gambler's flaming torch. "Sta--stay away!" he yells at the foremost bug, thrusting the torch in its face. [If that's not too many actions, Attack:15, not sure what flame damage does]

[ooc]I'll be offline until Friday. Post for me if necessary. Go Brotherhood of the Sword![/ooc]
Trevor / Road Crew (Calgary)
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3711
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by GnomeBoy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:13 am

Zend shouts back at Shifty, "Hold the hilt and say the word 'Strike'!"
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 2 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

User avatar
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop
Location: Washington, DCC

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Judge_Yossarian » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:59 pm

(Critter INIT roll=18, but surprise round first)

Almost at the same time, Zend and the Ankh charge toward the foremost creature, as Shaky swirls his torch around ineffectively (but encouragingly) behind them. Before it can react, Zend's shovel connects with the beast's head and drives it to the ground. The creature immediately tries to rise but is battered down again by the Ankh's torch (I gave it 1d4=4 damage, plus 50% chance of ignition, which failed) The torch snaps over the dying creature's head as it collapses (it's not a club, after all). As the lit end of the torch rolls across the tunnel floor, Zend and Ankh clearly see the stiff, twitching body of what appears to be an enormous black ant, about the size of a wolf. Just as they raise their gazes to see three more of the creatures coming toward them, Quentin's apricot sails over their heads and into the darkness. They hear it land with a small splat, and the rearmost creature halts, turns its head and twitches its antennae towards the sound.

The other two keep coming.

Meanwhile, Mercer and Dejah succeed in dragging a large haunch of... something... off its hook and begin carrying it out into the tunnel.

The Brotherhood of the Sword, now without Zend's help, is just able to drag the sword a few yards down the tunnel towards the creatures, with a loud grating sound.

(Round 2 actions please!)
/OOC @Vort Sorry about the Shifty/Shaky mix up! Bet they get that all the time. @herself, I'll treat the dog like a summoned animal; no skill checks needed unless she orders it to do something suicidal, complex beyond its intelligence level, or that goes against a primal instinct.
@Manjoban, if you still can't post and you want to, you can certainly PM your moves to me and I can post them. If you can't PM either I can send you my email address.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3711
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by GnomeBoy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 pm

Coward that he is, Kuruz continues to move back, making way for Mercer and Dejah to move up. If they can drop a side of mystery beef on a wolfant, they will (agility checks? attack rolls?) -- otherwise they continue to move forward with the slab o' meat.

Zend brings his shovel around on one of the wolfants, when he gets the chance, moving up if needs be -- attack 7 (damage 2, if somehow that hits).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 2 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Sally, seeing the others struggling with the sword, will try to get an arm under it and help lift. She's not keen on the sword, but also not at all keen on those huge ant-things! She can save her philosophical quandary for later, when she's still alive. Dog stays at her heels and tries not to get stepped on.

Quentin does a small cheer when he sees his apricot has distracted one of the ants He'll lob another one and hope it works again like the first one.
[ooc] I should probably roll for the number of those things he has left... 1d20? Of course this is the time I roll a 20. Bah. 20 apricots left then.

Beezel(and presumably the Brotherhood too, all at once) will shout STRIKE! while pointing the end of the sword at the ants.

Smythe, relieved to see no spiders, will come forward as far as he can, and if he's able to reach an ant, he'll swipe at it with his dagger. [Roll=5, which I suspect is a miss! On the completely random chance he connects (the ant falls into him?), damage is a 4]
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13--sign: saving throws (+1)
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8-- sign: broken star (fumbles) (-1)
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15--sign: the bull (attack+1)
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10--sign: spider bite (poison save, +0)

User avatar
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 pm
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports
Location: Calgary, Canada

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by Vort » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:24 am

The Illuminating Ankh lives up to his name as he watches the head of the torch roll down to illuminate the oversized ant situation. "Oh, snap!" he blurts out, whether in regard to having broken his only torch, or being faced with 2 more advancing wolf-ants, one can't be sure. Spotting Smythe trying to get through the press clutching a dagger, he'll pull back and let those better armed (and suited) for the task move forward. [action: retreat behind the front line]

Pairing up with Zend like a couple of hoplites, from slightly behind the gravedigger Shaky will try and set ablaze anything that pulls within range of the pair. He wields the torch in defence, not wanting to risk breaking it like The Ankh did. [action: defend himself and Zend with the torch as flame, poking but not whacking with it]

"Hold on, Shaky!" Shifty holds on dearly to the sword while dragging/running/stumbling to keep up with the others. "Strike!" he too yells. "Strike! Strike! STRIKE!" as if willing the thing to do something.

[ooc]
@Yossarian: Haha, no worries on the Shaky/Shifty mixup, even their mother has trouble telling them apart (which they used much to their advantage while growing up);
@herself - nice shot with the apricot!;
@GnomeBoy - nice shovel work!;
@ManjoBan - try either http: or https: as the url (one might work better than the other);
@everyone - don't forget we can burn luck to bump up attack rolls! (just a reminder, not a suggestion, as I keep forgetting myself!)
[/ooc]
Trevor / Road Crew (Calgary)
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)

User avatar
herself
Far-Sighted Wanderer
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am
FLGS: The Caffeinated Dragon
Location: Wellington, NZ

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by herself » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:03 pm

[ooc]
@vort, sheesh, thanks for the reminder re: burning luck. It'd slipped my mind completely... not that I think Smythe has enough luck to burn to boost his totally pathetic attack last round...
[/ooc]
Quentin Plum, Costermonger--L, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F-1, W0--st 7, ag 10, sta 7, pe 9, in 16, lu 13--sign: saving throws (+1)
Beezel Scribbler, Elven Barrister--L, AC 10, 5 hp--R0, F+1, W+1--st 12, ag 10, sta 13, pe 15, in 11, lu 8-- sign: broken star (fumbles) (-1)
Sally Longshanks, Herder--N, AC 10, 1 hp--R0, F0, W-2--st 11, ag 9, sta 10, pe 5, in 12, lu 15--sign: the bull (attack+1)
Smythe Quickhands, Confidence artist--N, AC 10, 3 hp--R0, F0, W0--st 8, ag 11, sta 11, pe 9, int 15, lu 10--sign: spider bite (poison save, +0)

User avatar
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
Posts: 3711
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm
FLGS: Bizarro World
Location: Left Coast, USA
Contact:

Re: First PBP Funnel of 2020: The Gig at the Wizard's Tower

Post by GnomeBoy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:22 pm

Judge Y, how would you like to handle Luck Burn in this PbP? Some Judges will state how much Luck is needed, others leave it up to a guesstimate from the player...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com

Kuruz, Mendicant, N • AC 8, 4 hp • R-1, F0, W0 • S9 A8 S9 P11 I16 L8
Zend, Grave Digger, L • AC 9, 3 hp • R-1, F0, W1 • S14 A6 S9 P13 I13 L6
Mercer, Outlaw, N • AC 12, 2 hp • R0, F-1, W1 • S7 A9 S6 P13 I8 L13
Dejah, Ropemaker, C • AC 10, 2 hp • R0, F1, W-1 • S8 A12 S15 P7 I11 L7

Post Reply

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”