Nebin Pendlebrook's Perilous Pantry - 0-level funnel!

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Burdin's Comics

Re: Nebin Pendlebrook's Perilous Pantry - 0-level funnel!

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote: What now?
[/i]
Initiative order:

dimonic (remember, at 0-level, it's roll INIT once for the party, so I took your first one)
michael
chuck
spiders
scottius

On your turn, let me know what you are doing, and if it involves combat, roll to hit and damage.

Shanaseriel looks up spy a monster (preferably one that was already hit), and lets fly an arrow. Slobo hurls a rock. Aloysius dashes to Silas' side and tries to administer first aid, using herbalism? Jim stands over Aloysius, shortsword at the ready.

Shanaseriel (Shortbow): d20 => Natural 20!, d6 => 2. Crit roll 2 => Foe jabbed in the eye. Ugly bruising and inflict +1d4 => 1.
Slobo (rock): d20 + 2 => Natural 1! 5 - trip and fall, wasting this action.
Aloysius (herbalism) d20 => 13.
Aloysius Penderghast, L, Herbalist, S15, A9, Sm9, P14, I15, L9, AC10, HP4, Club +1 1d4+1, Init 0, R 0, F 0, W 1, 1d Rations, Herbs, flint & steel, 10 ft pole, 2 torches, large sack, Com +1

"Slim Jim" Finlayson, N, Outlaw, S10, A16, Sm11, P10, I8, L11, AC 14, HP 4, Short sword +0 1d6, Init 2, R 2, F 0, W, 0, Iron spike, Leather armor, torch, small sack, 1d rations, Resisted temptation (Willpower saving throws), Com

Shanaseriel Tremientalo, C, Elven navigator, S5, A10, Sm15, P14, I10, L9, AC 10, HP 5, Shortbow +0 (1d6), Init 0, R 0, F 1, W 1, Flask, Spyglass, 1d rations, Charmed house (Armor Class), Com Elven, Heightened senses, iron vulnerability, Infravision

Slobo Underhill, N, Halfling vagrant, S11, A17, Sm13, P16, I11, L14, AC 12, HP 4, Club +0 (1d4), Init 2, R 3, F 1, W 2, Chain 10', Begging bowl, Struck by lightning (Reflex saving throws) (+1), Com Halfling, Infravision
michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: the Griffon

Post by michaelsandar »

Percival stands shocked, watching a his companions fall. Then with grim determination, he flings a stone at the creature that Eibur escaped from.

d20 - 14 + 0 agility mod, hits AC 14 for 1pt damage
PERCIVAL, N, Halfling dyer, S12, A10, S9, P13, I6, L11 (previously 12), AC10, HP2, Staff +0 1d4, hand axe, Init 0, R0, F0, W+1, Small sack, 3 yards fabric, 10' chain, torch, Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks), Com

EIBUR, C, Potato Farmer, deceased
SILAS, L, Ostler, deceased
Chuck7497
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Past present future comics, and Excelsior comics.

Post by Chuck7497 »

JIC d20=20
JIC d100= 38

Grom Keeps yelling at the spiders and waving his arms about. "C.mon you haggard lame brained slubberdegullion quit yer hiding and come down here to take a proper beating"

Kreiger and mavory drop the rope. Then start gathering rocks and throw them at the spiders as well.

Smokey shows the glasses to the group then pockets them as proof for later.
He then grabs rocks and starts throwing them up at the creatures as well

Kreiger d20= 14 1d4 =2
Mavory d20= 5
Smokey d20= 18 1d4 =2
GROM, L, Woodcutter, S6, A10, Sm10, P12, I13, L15, AC 10, HP 2, Hand axe -1 1d6-1, Init 0; R 0, F 0, W 0, Bundle of wood, 50’ rope, Candle, Survived the Plague (magical healing) +1, Common elvish

KREIGER, N, Urchin, S11, A10, Sm10, P7, I12, L13, AC 10, HP 2, Shovel 1d4 Stick +0 1d4, Init 0, R 0, F0, W 0, Crowbar, begging bowl Four leaf clover (find secret door) +1 Com

MAVORY, N, Ditch Digger, S9, A14, Sm7, P10, I9, L11, AC 11, HP 1, Shovel 1d4, Init 1, R 1, F -1, W 0, Empty chest, Fine dirt 1lb, Seventh son (spell checks) Com

SMOKEY, C, Cutpurse, S12, A7, Sm17, P14, I13, L11, AC 9, HP 6, Pitchfork (as spear) +1 (1d8+2) : Dagger +0 1d4, Init -1, R -1, F 2, W 1, Iron Spike (1sp), small chest, Pack hunter (attack/damage rolls for 0-level weapon) Com, Giant
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Post by Judge Perky »

The attacks take their toll on the toad-spiders, one of them is in bad shape. But they hiss and drop down to try to grab more prey!

One attacks Dhourdem Grayhelm and one attacks Slim Jim. DC 16 REF saves to avoid being enwebbed.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (201.28 KiB) Viewed 76041 times
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote:The attacks take their toll on the toad-spiders, one of them is in bad shape. But they hiss and drop down to try to grab more prey!

One attacks Dhourdem Grayhelm and one attacks Slim Jim. DC 16 REF saves to avoid being enwebbed.
Slim Jim rolls: d20 => 16 + 2 = 18.

Jim who was ready with shortsword drawn, protecting Aloysius who was bent over Silas, counter attacks:

Jim (shortsword): d20 => 17, damage 1d6 => 3.
Aloysius Penderghast, L, Herbalist, S15, A9, Sm9, P14, I15, L9, AC10, HP4, Club +1 1d4+1, Init 0, R 0, F 0, W 1, 1d Rations, Herbs, flint & steel, 10 ft pole, 2 torches, large sack, Com +1

"Slim Jim" Finlayson, N, Outlaw, S10, A16, Sm11, P10, I8, L11, AC 14, HP 4, Short sword +0 1d6, Init 2, R 2, F 0, W, 0, Iron spike, Leather armor, torch, small sack, 1d rations, Resisted temptation (Willpower saving throws), Com

Shanaseriel Tremientalo, C, Elven navigator, S5, A10, Sm15, P14, I10, L9, AC 10, HP 5, Shortbow +0 (1d6), Init 0, R 0, F 1, W 1, Flask, Spyglass, 1d rations, Charmed house (Armor Class), Com Elven, Heightened senses, iron vulnerability, Infravision

Slobo Underhill, N, Halfling vagrant, S11, A17, Sm13, P16, I11, L14, AC 12, HP 4, Club +0 (1d4), Init 2, R 3, F 1, W 2, Chain 10', Begging bowl, Struck by lightning (Reflex saving throws) (+1), Com Halfling, Infravision
Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Tabletop

Post by Scottius »

Dhourdhem: Reflex Save d20= 4 + 1 (dex bonus) = 5

The dwarven apothecary looks curiously at the webbing as he is easily ensnared by it.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Scottius wrote:Dhourdhem: Reflex Save d20= 4 + 1 (dex bonus) = 5

The dwarven apothecary looks curiously at the webbing as he is easily ensnared by it.
Slim Jim dodges and weaves, while Dhourdhem is webbed up, even as he tries to swing his cudgel.

Dhourdem's spider begins to ascend to the ceiling...

...when Hugh's hurled stone pierces one of its green eyes and brains it, it's body falling down and twitching before lying still. Dhourdem, still webbed, rolls onto the floor.

The other toad spider hisses at Slim Jim menacingly and appears to eye the easy target enwebbed on the ground.

ROUND

Back to the top of the order:

dimonic
michael
chuck
spiders
scottius
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

Percival rushes forward, grabbing the webbed Dhourdem and begins to drag him back, out of harms way.
PERCIVAL, N, Halfling dyer, S12, A10, S9, P13, I6, L11 (previously 12), AC10, HP2, Staff +0 1d4, hand axe, Init 0, R0, F0, W+1, Small sack, 3 yards fabric, 10' chain, torch, Righteous heart (Turn unholy checks), Com

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote: Slim Jim dodges and weaves, while Dhourdhem is webbed up, even as he tries to swing his cudgel.

Dhourdem's spider begins to ascend to the ceiling...

...when Hugh's hurled stone pierces one of its green eyes and brains it, it's body falling down and twitching before lying still. Dhourdem, still webbed, rolls onto the floor.

The other toad spider hisses at Slim Jim menacingly and appears to eye the easy target enwebbed on the ground.

ROUND

Back to the top of the order:

dimonic
michael
chuck
spiders
scottius
Jim slashes and swings (do I use the above roll - I guess there are no ready actions) - if not, here is a another roll
Jim (shortsword) d20 => 16, d6 => 2
(I am actually wondering if there is something wrong with the Crawler app)
Looking for a target that is up near the ceiling
Shanaseriel (spot) d20 => 11 (if this is personality based, +1)
Aloysius will continue to tend the dying Silas.
Slobo will club the bastard viciously;
Slobo (club) d20 => 4... (I meant the spider thingy, not Silas).

Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Scottius »

Dhourdhem lets out a grunt as he lands back upon the ground. Recovering from getting tumbled about he looks up to see Percival there pulling him back. "Thank ye for the assistance friend." Summoning his strength he attempts to break free of the webbing constraining him.

Strength Check (I assume?) d20= 7 + 1 (str modifier) = 8

Hugh, Kleaver, & Grismelda continue to unleash their fusillade of stones at the remaining beast in an effort to either down or drive it off.

Hugh d20=10 + 1 (dex modifier) = 11, damage d4 = 3
Grismedla d20= 15, damage d4 = 1
Kleaver d20=17, damage d4 = 4
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Jim's short sword rakes across the spider toad, inflicting an oozing wound on the rapidly deteriorating beast. [NOTE: No, there are no 'ready actions'; it's one move and one action per round, in initiative order.]

Shanaseriel scans the ceiling [NOTE: It's an INT check, rather than personality], and among the stalactites he (she?) see 3 bulges of webbing attached to the ceiling 30' above that appear to be cocoons.

Slobo's club attack fails.

Percival successfully drags Dhourdem back, as he struggles unsuccessfully to shed himself from his webbing.

Grom, Kreiger, Smoky and Mavory do nothing.

The spider-toad lunges at Aloysius, but in its injured state it trips over its own feet and tumbles to the side.

It rights itself in time to take stones from Grismelda and Kleaver right in the face! It wobbles left, and then right, and then collapses dead in a heap.

ROUND
*Jonathan*

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Judge Perky wrote:
ROUND
Shanaseriel: Look - there are cocoons hanging from the ceiling. Spider's have a habit of laying their eggs in their prey - perhaps one those is Nebin?

Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Scottius »

Dhourdhem once more attempts to burst free from the webbing now the immediate threat seems to be over.

Strength check d20= 7 + 1 (str modifier) = 8

"I...just...can't...seem to break them."

"Here, let me assist." Grismelda, seeing the dwarven apothecary still struggling ineffectually with the webs tries to pitch in.

Strength check d20= 2 + 0 (str modifier) = 2

The normally stoic dwarf shoots her a look that says I was doing better when I was trying by myself.

While the pair try and wrestle with the webs Kleaver looks at the spectacles he recovered from the ground. Then he looks up to the cocoons above. "These are definitely Nebin's. They probably came loose when these abominations jumped him. If he is up there could he still be alive?"

Hugh steps up beside the halfling butcher. "Only one way to be sure." He takes a length of rope and fashions a lasso. Hugh is going to try and see if he can lasso one of the cocoons in an effort to drag it down.

OOC: A dex check to attempt this?

Dex Check d20= 19 + 1 (dex modifier) = 20
michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

After ensuring that Dhourdem is out of the harms way, Percival morosely checks the bodies of Silas and Eibur. If finding what he expects - corpses - he grabs the 10' piece of chain and torch off the bodies and says a small prayer, while keeping a look out.

"If that lasso doesn't work, we can try the chain," he tells Hugh.

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Hugh manages to lasso one of the cuckoons and bring it down.

Inside is a dried husk of a body, its intestines long sucked out. The corpse is much too old to be Nebin or the Constable. But it does have a rusty dagger in its bony hand...

Percival confirms the worst: Slias and Eibur are dead. He gathers their things.
*Jonathan*

Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Scottius »

Hugh inspects the dried out desiccated corpse. Picking up the old dagger he hands it to Kleaver. "Here, take this and help cut the dwarf loose from those webs."

Kleaver does as Hugh suggests kneeling down and trying to help cut loose Dhourdhem from the webbing he's still caught up in.

Meanwhile Hugh loosens his lasso and goes to snag a second corpse.

Dex Check: d20= 1 + 1 (dex modifier) = 2. Uh oh, are there fumbles on dex checks?
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Scottius wrote:Hugh inspects the dried out desiccated corpse. Picking up the old dagger he hands it to Kleaver. "Here, take this and help cut the dwarf loose from those webs."

Kleaver does as Hugh suggests kneeling down and trying to help cut loose Dhourdhem from the webbing he's still caught up in.

Meanwhile Hugh loosens his lasso and goes to snag a second corpse.

Dex Check: d20= 1 + 1 (dex modifier) = 2. Uh oh, are there fumbles on dex checks?
Dhourdhem is freed.

No, no fumbles... just try again! :-)
*Jonathan*

michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

Percival continues to keep a watch, particularly further in. "We should keep moving, I'd rather not be surprised by any more of these... things."

Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Scottius »

Hugh hauls in the lasso and attempts another toss.

Dex Check: d20 = 4 + 1(dex modifier) = 5

He tries again (assuming nothing stops him)

Dex Check: d20 = 10 +1 (dex modifier) = 11

As he continues to try and haul down the other victims of the spider-beasts Hugh glances back at Percival. "I understand. I'd rather keep moving myself. But if one or more of those poor souls up there is who we seek we won't be doing ourselves any favors wandering around looking for them elsewhere down here."
dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

Scottius wrote: As he continues to try and haul down the other victims of the spider-beasts Hugh glances back at Percival. "I understand. I'd rather keep moving myself. But if one or more of those poor souls up there is who we seek we won't be doing ourselves any favors wandering around looking for them elsewhere down here."
I'm with Hugh, says Jim, and he and the others stand by, ready to provide cover as Hugh attempts to bring down the cocoons.

Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

OOC: Sorry for the delay, folks!

Hugh brings down another cocoon. Inside is a dried husk of a body, its intestines long sucked out. The corpse is much too old to be Nebin or the Constable. But it does have a hand axe in its bony hand...

There is one more cocoon visible.
*Jonathan*

michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

If no one minds, Percival will grab the hand axe and use it to slice open the toad things. Grimacing, he will search their insides for anything they may have eaten, whether valuables or just the remains of Nebin.

Scottius
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Scottius »

Hugh takes aim at the last cocoon as he prepares to throw the rope once more.

Dex Check: d20= 8 + 1 (dex modifier) = 9
michaelsandar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by michaelsandar »

this still going?

dimonic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dimonic »

michaelsandar wrote:this still going?
Good question. It was slow to begin with - now it is barely crawling.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”