The Ruins of Ramat - 0-level funnel

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

doddwaco
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: The Game Den

Re: The Ruins of Ramat - 0-level funnel

Post by doddwaco »

"Fear not, friends! I return to aid you!" The jester races back to the room.
Chthonicthul
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Twenty Sided Store

Post by Chthonicthul »

OOC: I was hoping the sleeves would be proof against Will Saves. Ridiculous, I know, but worth a shot. He gets an 8, but I'd like to burn seven more Luck points to make it a 15. Why not, leaves him with 6 (from an original 14). If that is groovy:

Marvin lifts the spear, and the overwhelming otherwordly force of the weapon floods his poor tax-collecting mind. But he finds something valiant and unforseen within himself, and - almost against all reason - is able to find something inside that manages to resist the weapon. "I.... AM..... MARVIN!" he screams, and thrusts the pointy end at the enemy.

OOC: Rolled a 14 to hit the beast. If another point or two of burnt luck (up to his max, because again, why not) will turn that into a palpable hit, do it! Not sure what damage to roll if so.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver
FLGS: The Compleat Strategist

Post by Judge Perky »

Chthonicthul wrote:OOC: I was hoping the sleeves would be proof against Will Saves. Ridiculous, I know, but worth a shot. He gets an 8, but I'd like to burn seven more Luck points to make it a 15. Why not, leaves him with 6 (from an original 14). If that is groovy:

Marvin lifts the spear, and the overwhelming otherwordly force of the weapon floods his poor tax-collecting mind. But he finds something valiant and unforseen within himself, and - almost against all reason - is able to find something inside that manages to resist the weapon. "I.... AM..... MARVIN!" he screams, and thrusts the pointy end at the enemy.

OOC: Rolled a 14 to hit the beast. If another point or two of burnt luck (up to his max, because again, why not) will turn that into a palpable hit, do it! Not sure what damage to roll if so.
Marvin feels the spear reaching out into his mind, strongly trying to compel him to place it in the hole at the center of the nearby pedestal... like he saw in the mural earlier that day: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 04#p114608

He is able to resist the compulsion for now... and (assuming he still wants to proceed thusly) he attacks with the spear. A 14 is enough, roll 1d8 for damage.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Chthonicthul
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Chthonicthul »

OOC: Damage roll=6.

OOC PS: Well, what do you guys think? Do we want to bury the spear (insert favorite off-color joke here), or resist?
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Game Kastle

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: I think if the spear is in the pedestal we're safe. That's what the mural lead me to believe. Who knows how many HP this creature has? For all we know we've barely messed up its hair.
Chthonicthul
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Chthonicthul »

OOC: Sounds good. Marvin will take the plunge next round, assuming he lives.
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Let's hope so. It's the creature's move next...
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

A tentacle lashes out at Red Robert - a 21 to hit... for 4 HP of damage!
A tentacle lashes out at Honest John - a 16 to hit... for 3 HP of damage!
Two tentacles lashe out at Marvin - a 13 to hit... for 1 HP of damage, and a 15 to hit for 1 HP of damage!

Jenkins is still running, but he will be able to attack next round.

Xim is still awake but not doing anything.
*Jonathan*

“You should laugh every moment you live, for you'll find it decidedly difficult afterwards.” ― Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Well, that's all my characters dead.
Chthonicthul
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Chthonicthul »

Marvin, bellows in pain after his severe tentacle-lashing. "NO! I will prevail!". The tax collector leaps heroically up to the pedestal and inserts the spear in the fashion his visions have compelled him to do.

OOC: Dead-dead? Ow; I'm sorry if my dithering resulted in your death. Just wasn't sure whether I should be resisting the urge to plant the spear; the fact of a Will Save made me think it would be a bad thing. Hey, do you want to pick up Xim for the rest of the funnel if so? I have no particular claim to him.

OOC: And now I see that Xim was awake. Hasty reading over the holiday break seems to have resulted in a double gaffe; reading back I see it all plain as day. Double apologies.

Xim stares around him in disbelief, finally awakened from a bizarre daydream involving a tentacled puppy brandishing a spear. "Wait, what is going on? Where am I?"
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: OK, I'll take control of Xim. Thank you!
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Ok, Marvin's going to try for the pedestal!

Xim also has initiative on the beast, is he doing anything in the meantime?
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

OOC: Yeah, Xim is sticking close to Marvin!
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Ok, as Jenkins runs back into the room, here's what he sees, as if in a dream.

The bodies of Honest John and Red Robert lie broken on the cold floor.

Marvin... the TAX COLLECTOR... one of the meekest men in town... is running like a man possessed past the 7' demonic creature and toward the pedestal with the local dyer, Xim, close on his heels.

The creature attempts to pivot and swipe at Marvin as he goes by, but to no avail... Marvin stays just ahead of his outstretched tentacles.

Marvin leaps upon the pedestal, lines up the base of the Spear of Ramat with the hole in the center, and sticks it in with a satisfying *clunk*

Immediately, a brilliant, blinding light floods the room. The light sears the demon upon impact, utterly destroying it like an ant under a magnifying glass. The light fills the sanctuary and beyond, cleansing the entire complex of evil.

An angelic being appears before you above the pedestal and says to you telepathically, "I am a servant of Ramat, a god of radiant light. Thank you for restoring this holy place. The death of your companions was not in vain, as a great and ancient evil has been lifted from this place. Now, I must take the Spear of Ramat to dwell with Ramat until such a time as it is needed in this mortal realm again." As he begins to disappear, he adds, "Your mighty deeds done this day will not be forgotten..."
*Jonathan*

Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

Xim: "High five!"
doddwaco
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: The Game Den

Post by doddwaco »

Jenkins rushes into the room. "What I miss?"
Chthonicthul
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Chthonicthul »

In mid high-five, Marvin cackles to Jenkins. "We did it! Ancient evil destroyed!"

He hugs everyone, and then kneels at the bodies of their slain compatriots. "These men, and the others who died earlier on this adventure, will be remembered in our hearts as the true heroes of the day. Their blood has washed clean these ruins of Ramat."

He then surreptitiously checks his pockets to make sure the gold from earlier is still there.
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

And so, you all go back to town, to find...

Joseph the Herder being hailed as the town hero for returning a lost dog to a grateful little girl...

<cue laugh track>

And that ends the adventure.

Congratulations, survivors, you made it through the funnel and are now eligible to level up as official DCC RPG first-level characters with 10 XP.

Feel free to do so and post here, for fun.

As an ADDED BONUS, all Lawful and Neutral survivors get one point of Luck, as Ramat smiles down upon you for the work you did this day.
*Jonathan*

Chthonicthul
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Chthonicthul »

OOC: Hey, thanks for running, Judge, and for letting me join mid-stream. A lot of fun. And, Dodd & Max, thanks for playing with me.
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

Thanks to everyone. I had a lot of fun. I'd like to find a copy of that module but Brave Halfling doesn't appear to be publishing anymore. Does anyone know of an alternative source?
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Guys, I had a TON of fun reading along and was quite touched that you used my module. :)
John Adams
Judge Perky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Judge Perky »

Coleston the Cavalier wrote:Guys, I had a TON of fun reading along and was quite touched that you used my module. :)
8) My pleasure. It's a lot of fun.

You are John Adams, I take it?
*Jonathan*

Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Judge Perky wrote:
Coleston the Cavalier wrote:Guys, I had a TON of fun reading along and was quite touched that you used my module. :)
8) My pleasure. It's a lot of fun.

You are John Adams, I take it?
Yes. I have had this account for a long time and never changed my login name.
John Adams
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Max_The_Judge »

Sweet! Can you point me in the right direction for purchasing the Appendix N modules? PDF or print.
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Max_The_Judge wrote:Sweet! Can you point me in the right direction for purchasing the Appendix N modules? PDF or print.
Sure:
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/2505/B ... l-Classics

POD versions will be coming online down-the-road.
John Adams

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”