Creeping Beauties of the Woods

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Creeping Beauties of the Woods

Post by rhh »

While waiting, Enlo spies the leaves in the fireplace. Happy to have something to investigate, he wanders over.

"Careful", says Los when he sees Enlo moving around. Enlo gives him an irritated look, then fetches out his iron spike and pokes it into the fire, attempting to fish out one of the leaves for closer examination.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Enlo finds a few small bones, birds and mammals, among the leaves. It looks like the flue would need be cleaned if you wanted to light a fire here without the smoke blowing out into the common room. That is probably an easy enough task.

MrHemlocks, I am still waiting for Luck checks from the rest of your characters.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Enlo finds a few small bones, birds and mammals, among the leaves. It looks like the flue would need be cleaned if you wanted to light a fire here without the smoke blowing out into the common room. That is probably an easy enough task.

MrHemlocks, I am still waiting for Luck checks from the rest of your characters.
ooc...The only character to climb the ladder was Tarpy. The others are searching the first floor of the cabin for secret doors and signs of recent use.

ooc... Tarpy(up top/ladder)...looks around up top: rolled 2! If allowed to spend the time a continue to search he rolled a 13 for the second attempt.

Balin (bottom floor search) rolled 17
Rafo (bottom floor search) rolled 6
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:Enlo finds a few small bones, birds and mammals, among the leaves. It looks like the flue would need be cleaned if you wanted to light a fire here without the smoke blowing out into the common room. That is probably an easy enough task.

ooc...The only character to climb the ladder was Tarpy. The others are searching the first floor of the cabin for secret doors and signs of recent use.

ooc... Tarpy(up top/ladder)...looks around up top: rolled 2! If allowed to spend the time a continue to search he rolled a 13 for the second attempt.

"Well I guess they will search the inn first...from top to bottom. They will look for traps, secret doors and smell for treasure along the way. The stable will be saved for last with little Tarpy climbing the ladder using his thief skills."

This is not the stable; it is the inn.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:

"Well I guess they will search the inn first...from top to bottom. They will look for traps, secret doors and smell for treasure along the way. The stable will be saved for last with little Tarpy climbing the ladder using his thief skills."

This is not the stable; it is the inn.
Which still need Luck rolls since Rafo and Balin are in the inn and Tarpy climbed ladder and searched stable...made Luck roll for him awhile ago
rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

"Should we start a fire?" asks Enlo, "If we want to, the chimney is blocked. It will need to be cleaned."

"I'll do it," says Los. He moves to clean the flue, but won't light a fire till one of the higher level characters approves.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Good luck guys...I am gone)
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Elroth and company make their way into the common room with the others.

Xim grunts and stumbles over to the bar (predictably). Anyone found some ale? Maybe they left a barrel behind when they closed the place.

Elroth We checked out the stables. No sign of recent use, though some ruined horse tack. Also a fishy smell. Or, erm , a smell of fish in the stables... which, admittedly, is a strange smell for even abandoned stables. I never bothered learning about Trolls, save mention of their living under bridges. Do they smell of fish? Either way, let's keep our wits about us.

ooc: Sorry to see you go; I know I've been slow to post, recently (for me), so I hope my bad record of late doesn't make this one-time delay look bad for a great GM (ie: I'm the one who's been delaying everything, not the GM). Good gaming.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Search check for Xim behind the bar: rolled a 13.

Invisible castle is down for the moment, so alternative roller: 13
rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

"No ale yet," says Enlo, "but we'll have a look around."

Enlo, Radny, and Lyfina begin cautiously searching around.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Of the characters who went upstairs in the inn, there is no word.

Those looking for ale notice that one of the large beer kegs in the cellar is a door.

Sorry again about the long delay between posts. No one should ever play in a game they do not enjoy, and MrHemlocks is free to depart with no rancour on my part. Should he wish to return, his characters are in Limbo until that point as far as I am concerned. I am hoping to add new characters shortly.
SoBH pbp:

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Radny ducks into the cellar. He grabs up a keg mallet (http://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/cookbook ... mallet.jpg) and uses it to sound the kegs down there.

The first few kegs make a hollow "bonk" when Radny strikes them. "Empty," says Radny after each strike. He continues down the row, repeating "Empty, empty, empty," as he walks.

He stretches to reach one set against the wall, shielded by the kegs around it. The sound the keg makes as Radny hits it is a "boom," notably different than the sounds before. "Um, this one is sort of emptier than the rest." he calls out.

He clears the other kegs from in front of it, then in his investigation, realises that the front of it is in fact a door, which he opens. He calls out again, "There's a secret passage down here. Bring torches!"

Lyfina and Enlo rush downstairs to see. Los hobbles after, carefully navigating the stairs.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Beyond the secret door disguised as a beer barrel, you discover a chamber where a human skeleton can be found. These bones still have a rusted dagger within them. There is a long chain stapled to the wall; the end has been neatly severed.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Can we all head to the cellar? If so, the elf and company go there and look things over.

I wonder if this is the only secret door. Odd that the dagger is rusted. I wonder if it was somehow submerged, or if it's just old.

Burok asks to take a look at the dagger. As both a blacksmith and a dwarf, he hopes to have some insight on why it's so rusted.

The elf takes a look around the room for signs of other secret doors, hoping his keen elven senses pick anything up.

Graham looks at the skeleton and the chain. (So the chain is attached to the man, or to the wall, or both? And where is the chain severed? Taking a good look at it, with the eyes of a woodsman with a roguish streak in him)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:Can we all head to the cellar? If so, the elf and company go there and look things over.

I wonder if this is the only secret door. Odd that the dagger is rusted. I wonder if it was somehow submerged, or if it's just old.

Burok asks to take a look at the dagger. As both a blacksmith and a dwarf, he hopes to have some insight on why it's so rusted.

The elf takes a look around the room for signs of other secret doors, hoping his keen elven senses pick anything up.

Graham looks at the skeleton and the chain. (So the chain is attached to the man, or to the wall, or both? And where is the chain severed? Taking a good look at it, with the eyes of a woodsman with a roguish streak in him)
Good questions.

There do not seem to be additional secret doors here.

The dagger appears to be made of iron, and is old.

The chain is attached to the wall, and is severed at the end not attacked to the wall, apparently by a heavy cutting blade. However, the other end of the chain is not attached to the skeleton. The skeleton may have been stabbed to death with the dagger, though.
SoBH pbp:

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
fireinthedust wrote:Can we all head to the cellar? If so, the elf and company go there and look things over.

Good questions.

There do not seem to be additional secret doors here.

The dagger appears to be made of iron, and is old.

The chain is attached to the wall, and is severed at the end not attacked to the wall, apparently by a heavy cutting blade. However, the other end of the chain is not attached to the skeleton. The skeleton may have been stabbed to death with the dagger, though.
Radny leans, carefully examining the chain.

(What thickness is the chain? What material does it appear to be made of? Would Radny (who is an armorer) have any idea what the chain's intended purpose was?)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

rhh wrote:Radny leans, carefully examining the chain.

(What thickness is the chain? What material does it appear to be made of? Would Radny (who is an armorer) have any idea what the chain's intended purpose was?)
The chain is iron, thick as the end of Radny's thumb, and stapled to the wall. The chain is also rusty, but the core is still strong. It appears to have been severed with a chopping blade, and reminds Radny of nothing so much as a manacle to hold a prisoner to a wall. It is, in fact, attached to a metal staple in the wall.
SoBH pbp:

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
rhh wrote:Radny leans, carefully examining the chain.

The chain is iron, thick as the end of Radny's thumb, and stapled to the wall. The chain is also rusty, but the core is still strong. It appears to have been severed with a chopping blade, and reminds Radny of nothing so much as a manacle to hold a prisoner to a wall. It is, in fact, attached to a metal staple in the wall.
Radny reaches out and gives the chain a yank.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Nothing unexpected happens. It seems to be pretty firmly stapled to the wall.
SoBH pbp:

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Nothing unexpected happens. It seems to be pretty firmly stapled to the wall.
"Okay, it isn't a trigger for a secret passage," says Radny, "We'd might as well all head back up, then."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay, you all head back up then.

It is about 3:00 pm at this point. There is a path to the southwest of the inn, overgrown but still discernible, and the main trail continues beyond the inn, northward to the left, and back the way you came to the right. It is early, but this might also be a defensible place to camp.
SoBH pbp:

rhh
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by rhh »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Okay, you all head back up then.

It is about 3:00 pm at this point. There is a path to the southwest of the inn, overgrown but still discernible, and the main trail continues beyond the inn, northward to the left, and back the way you came to the right. It is early, but this might also be a defensible place to camp.
"We've got a few hours of daylight left," says Enlo, "Maybe we should scout around, but come back here in time for nightfall. I'd rather sleep indoors if there are walking dead about."

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”