Creeping Beauties of the Woods

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Creeping Beauties of the Woods

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It is a month since the death of Prince Hubert Charming. His third bride, the Princess Beauty, didn’t react to his reanimating serum the way his previous brides, Snow and Ella, had done. With inhuman strength, she ripped off his head and carried it into the dark forest of Grimmswood.

Since that time, the mausoleums holding the remains of the Prince’s first wives were discovered to be empty – opened, it is said, from within. Fear grips the folk of Westlake, for the dead are said to walk beneath the shadows of the trees. As merchants suffer attacks, fewer dare the risk of bringing goods to the remote villages, and whatever cannot be made in the region itself is simply not to be had.

Yet perhaps all is not lost. The Baron of Westlake, Lord Jochim Charming, has decreed a chest of gold and the hand of his only daughter, the Princess Annegret, in marriage, to whoever can bring him the heads of the three un-dead Princesses, or other proof that they have dealt with the horrors of the Grimmswood. Perhaps heroes or adventurers can yet be found in time to save this region!

That gives you four weeks to recover from the funnel adventure, allowing time for wizards or elves to learn spells, treasure to be converted into gold, and so on. Let me know what you would like to do during those four weeks, if anything.

RECRUITMENT: If you can get any more of your fellow villagers to venture into the Grimmswood with you, the player in question may have four 0-levels and treat this like a funnel.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Creeping Beauties of the Woods

Post by catseye yellow »

Raven_Crowking wrote:It is a month since the death of Prince Hubert Charming. His third bride, the Princess Beauty, didn’t react to his reanimating serum the way his previous brides, Snow and Ella, had done. With inhuman strength, she ripped off his head and carried it into the dark forest of Grimmswood.

Since that time, the mausoleums holding the remains of the Prince’s first wives were discovered to be empty – opened, it is said, from within. Fear grips the folk of Westlake, for the dead are said to walk beneath the shadows of the trees. As merchants suffer attacks, fewer dare the risk of bringing goods to the remote villages, and whatever cannot be made in the region itself is simply not to be had.

Yet perhaps all is not lost. The Baron of Westlake, Lord Jochim Charming, has decreed a chest of gold and the hand of his only daughter, the Princess Annegret, in marriage, to whoever can bring him the heads of the three un-dead Princesses, or other proof that they have dealt with the horrors of the Grimmswood. Perhaps heroes or adventurers can yet be found in time to save this region!

That gives you four weeks to recover from the funnel adventure, allowing time for wizards or elves to learn spells, treasure to be converted into gold, and so on. Let me know what you would like to do during those four weeks, if anything.

RECRUITMENT: If you can get any more of your fellow villagers to venture into the Grimmswood with you, the player in question may have four 0-levels and treat this like a funnel.
could i play? i never before played pbp adventure? could i use flailnail like my 1st lvl thief from my home campaign that is currently on hitus?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

catseye yellow wrote:could i play? i never before played pbp adventure? could i use flailnail like my 1st lvl thief from my home campaign that is currently on hitus?
Question 1: Yes.
Question 2: That is not a question.
Question 3: I would need to see the character, but probably.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

I will boost my characters to 1st level and post them here soon.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Can we use the fill in character sheet at Purple Sorcerer Games? How can I get it to show up on this message board?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:Can we use the fill in character sheet at Purple Sorcerer Games? How can I get it to show up on this message board?
Yes, but you will have to stick it on the Interwebs somewhere and then link to it here.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Can we use the alternate characters form CRAWL #10...Dwarven Cleric and Halfling Burglar?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:Can we use the alternate characters form CRAWL #10...Dwarven Cleric and Halfling Burglar?
I am afraid not, although you can use the Dwarven Rune Priest from Gygax Magazine. In my games, humans have a unique relationship to the gods, so even a dwarven rune priest is not really a "priest" in the same way that the cleric is.

The halfling burglar gets more than the halfling, and gives nothing up in exchange. A halfling burglar without two-weapon fighting I would agree to, though.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

---
Last edited by MrHemlocks on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

In answer to a question I received via messages:

POSTING EXPECTATIONS & HOW TO DO THIS

I trust you to roll your own dice.

Interact with each other all you like. Sometimes you will have to wait to interact with me.

I have a full-time job, a ton of writing commitments, and three children from two relationships. I try to keep on top of things, but sometimes I am offline for a bit. I don't expect anyone to post more often than I do. If you get on even once or twice a week, that's fine. Right now, I am working on some materials for Goodman Games, and writing the third adventure in the Faerie Tales From Unlit Shores series for Purple Duck Games. And some other stuff as well.

In the case of combat, it is best if you state what you intend to do, then give rolls for Init (I roll each round), attack rolls, and damage. Feel free to roll crits and fumbles if you should be fortunate or less so. Then I can narrate the combat round efficiently.

There is a limit to how many messages you can keep on the Goodman Games site; if you need to contact me privately, I urge you to email me at ravencrowking at hotmail dot com.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

@ Catseye: Can I see that thief? Are you in?

@ Mr. Hemlocks: Balin has a dream.

Doctor Chapman appears, looking much as he did in life – a tall, stoop‐shouldered man wearing half‐moon spectacles and yellow‐white robes, changing slowly to the form of a dead man over the course of the dream.

“There are three ladies you must face," he says in the dream, "the former brides of Prince Charming, who have become bound up within a malevolent faerie curse. Because of my residence in Sefton Castle, I was also caught within the same malevolent influence, the most direct result of which is that I can do little to help you now. As each of the fair ladies is restored once more to her proper condition – which, I can assure you, is not walking around the Grimmswood forest frightening merchants and woodcutters – the enchantment that binds us all shall diminish. Perhaps we will be so fortunate as to see it extinguished. In any event, the more you accomplish, the more I can do to aid you in this endeavour.”
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

@ Catseye: Can I see that thief? Are you in?

@ Mr. Hemlocks: Balin has a dream.

Doctor Chapman appears, looking much as he did in life – a tall, stoop‐shouldered man wearing half‐moon spectacles and yellow‐white robes, changing slowly to the form of a dead man over the course of the dream.

“There are three ladies you must face," he says in the dream, "the former brides of Prince Charming, who have become bound up within a malevolent faerie curse. Because of my residence in Sefton Castle, I was also caught within the same malevolent influence, the most direct result of which is that I can do little to help you now. As each of the fair ladies is restored once more to her proper condition – which, I can assure you, is not walking around the Grimmswood forest frightening merchants and woodcutters – the enchantment that binds us all shall diminish. Perhaps we will be so fortunate as to see it extinguished. In any event, the more you accomplish, the more I can do to aid you in this endeavour.”
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Waking up soaked in sweat, Balin pulls his covers off and looks around for Tarpy and Rafo. Seeing them still sleeping, in the cots, that are along the sides of their rented cramped room, he gets up, goes over to them and gently wakes them both. "Get up guys! I need to tell you about this crazy dream I just had."

Sitting around the fireplace, drinking mead while eating a warm bread that is stuffed with meat and vegetables, Balin tells the others his dream. Than standing up he heads toward the window and reaches into his pocket and feels the shiny rune stones within. "Now, we must make up minds as to what do next." Tarpy joins in on the conversation. " We have a good idea where the last bride went and that is back to the castle ruins. Now for the other two I suggest asking around the village about them. My guess is that they will return in death, as in life, to the places they felt most comfortable. With that information, I believe, we can find all three brides and lay them to rest."

Rafo, swallows his food with a big gulping sound. "We need to end this madness and the sooner the better. There will be no rest for us and anyone else so long as those three undead brides roam about."

Upon finishing their meal they will roam about the village and try to gather more information about the three brides before they became undead.

ooc... who is this Doctor Chapman? Can not recall him in last adventure :?
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

thief is 2nd lvl, my bad.i can scan him and send him to you as of some time latter during the day or tommorow at the latest. he is survivor of the sailors, some assorted 3rd edition dcc modules and tower of the stargazer.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

catseye yellow wrote:thief is 2nd lvl, my bad.i can scan him and send him to you as of some time latter during the day or tommorow at the latest. he is survivor of the sailors, some assorted 3rd edition dcc modules and tower of the stargazer.

ooc... Nice, a well seasoned veteran! Can always use a skilled thief.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:
catseye yellow wrote:thief is 2nd lvl, my bad.i can scan him and send him to you as of some time latter during the day or tommorow at the latest. he is survivor of the sailors, some assorted 3rd edition dcc modules and tower of the stargazer.
I was a bit concerned about a 2nd level PC "showing up" those who had invested in the first thread, but if the other players are okay with it, all I need is to see the character sheet.

Balin, Dream 2: "Greetings, and my sincerest apologies for disturbing your slumber. I am frightfully sorry for my rudeness in not introducing myself properly the other night. I am Doctor Chapman, deceased, former Court Wizard of Sefton Castle, wherein dwelt a certain young Beauty before her, and my, untimely demise. As it seems that your path will cross hers soon, and as I wish to see you not only survive, but triumph in such a meeting, I offer you my humble assistance and advice.”

SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ooc: May I also join? I can happily create four 0-level characters, if that is alright.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I don't see why not.
SoBH pbp:

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

i'll scan it in the morning and e-mail it to you. or something.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc... I will wait till the others are ready before going on. I am sure they will want to experience every minute of the adventure.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Before you can decide to head out on your own, all the original survivors are invited to see Baron Joachim Charming, the father of Prince Hubert Charming. This is not a brutal invitation, but it is clear that you are intended to accept.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc... Rather or not catseye yellow and fireinthedust start playing they are not invited to meet the baron....correct? So, while I wait for others the three amigos will head out to meet the fellow first thing in the morning.

fireinthedust and catseye yellow, hurry up with you characters :?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Divested of whatever arms and armour you chose to wear to Westlake Keep, you are ushered in to see the Baron. Lord Jochim Charming is a heavyset man who was clearly handsome in his youth, although now age and care have lined his face. Although his muscle has run to fat, he is clearly in better shape than many men his age, through riding, hunting, and feats of arms.

His daughter, the Princess Annagret, sits near him. She is slight and pale, being pretty in a rather unearthly way. She is very delicate, well mannered, but clearly distracted by her own inner fantasies. Like the other Charmings, she is blonde with pale blue eyes. Several men-at-arms are in attendance, although they maintain a discrete distance, and do not seem to be expecting difficulties.

After you are announced, the Baron motions you forward before his wooden seat. "I have requested your presence," he says, "because of your knowledge of the events leading to the Grimmswood being infested by the evil dead. I would ask you to scout the near Grimmswood for signs of the un-dead Princesses Beauty, to better inform those who will seek to destroy them."
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

After listing to Lord Jochim Charming, Rafo looks at Princess Annagret. "Are you feeling alight princess? You look, might I add, a little too pale and lost in thought."

Balin, nods in agreement with Rafo's words. "Baron, is there more at stake here than what you are telling us? Does your daughter play a pivotal role in why you want these undead stopped and a cure found. Might your daughter be infected...somehow?"

Tarpy, looks around at all the wonderful items to steal but stops short of acting upon his desires and listens for the Baron's response. He also tries to notice if the young princess is wearing a necklace or ring of unusual design. For he feels that such an item might hold a unnatural/harmful charm on the lady.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:After listing to Lord Jochim Charming, Rafo looks at Princess Annagret. "Are you feeling alight princess? You look, might I add, a little too pale and lost in thought."
The princess looks at him, brought back for a moment from her own inward musings. "I am well. Thank you," she says.

Balin, nods in agreement with Rafo's words. "Baron, is there more at stake here than what you are telling us? Does your daughter play a pivotal role in why you want these undead stopped and a cure found. Might your daughter be infected...somehow?"[/quote]

"The road to Portsmouth leads through the Grimmswood, and the harbours at Portsmouth are our conduit to the world," The Baron answers. "Unless something is done, Westlake will last a year, perhaps two at most. But no, my daughter has always been a little unearthly, like her mother, my the gods rest her soul. She died when Annagret was quite young. The resemblance is quite strong. No curse, that, but a blessing. In her case, at least." He smiles upon his daughter with obvious and genuine affection.

"You are, of course, correct that these un-dead must be stopped, but I ask you only to scout that others may follow. I know that my son demanded more of you, to your sorrow and his. I was not as firm with the lad as I should have been, but he also favoured his mother in many ways, if not in those that count the most. I could not bear to discipline him as I should…and some of his mischief but followed my own researches, trying to reach my dear Gretta once more." His face creases with sorrow. There is no doubt that his love is genuine and abiding, and it is well known that the Baron of Westlake never remarried. His line ends with Annagret; whoever marries her will become the next Baron when Lord Jochim passes. "Pray, let us speak of it no longer, for it pains me.”
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”