The People of the Pit

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: The People of the Pit

Post by fireinthedust »

Bron and Arvandra nod, and set off down the other path, to see what lies that way.

We should be wary, though, of these creatures. While I think they've gone off in the direction the crow flew, I don't doubt some could still haunt these buildings. This farm is closer to the village, and Arvandra said the Curwen's patron was a cannibal demon. Unless there's another village to the north-east, they'll hunt the humans of our town. Sinkholes and farm tunnels are a convenient den for such creatures, I think. Bron looks grimly about before heading back with the rest to see what lies down the other path.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

The brave party ventures forth along the other path...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The other path leads downhill to a pair of outhouses, untouched by the fire that consumed the house.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin and Pratel go over the out buildings and listen for sounds that might be coming from within. "Well guys, Pratel tells the group, we best have a fast look at these two structures before moving on.

OOC... If no sounds are heard both structures will be examined for anything out of the 'ordinary'. Also, be aware of Balin's nose...I guess it is always on and smelling of gold and precious gems?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

They seem to be ordinary outhouses...none too clean, used, but not used recently, if smell is any indication. Of course, there is a way below here, too, if you remove the seats. But no guarantee that it leads anywhere but the obvious cesspit.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Well guys," Pratel says as he leans against the outhouse, "what you say we go back to that shed and check out the passage leading down?"

"I agree with you Pratel." Balin straightens his backpack and starts to make his way back toward the shed. "We best be moving while there is still some light out. I hate to think what creatures roam these parts when night cast its shadows."
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Bron and Arvandra head with the others to the trap door, to check below.

ooc: to the trap door! If there are no obvious signs, I'm not OCD enough to smell *that* bad for the entire adventure ;)

If we have a marching order, Bron and one other could go first, with Arvandra and Lady Aelfwyn hanging back as party support.

How late does it look to be getting? If it's going to get dark, Bron is not happy hanging around. Aside from flesh-eating pig-men, the ghost of that old man could still be lurking around here. Also the demon baby caterpillar could have a twin, who knows.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

The group makes it back to the shed and stand before the now opened trap door. Balin looks down into the darkness. "Bron, you and I can head down and lead the way."
Last edited by MrHemlocks on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay, you are back before the trap door. There is still plenty of daylight remaining; the noon hour has not yet struck.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Bron draws his sword and heads down first. The hunger for revenge against the monsters that slew so many of their companions before, has made the warrior eager to draw blood.

Arvandra takes her time, waited upon by Lady Aelfwyn, waiting until the party has secured the passage before easing herself down the ladder.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Pratel and Balin light torches and steady their weapons. The group than enters the underground.

ooc... Bron said he would go up front with one other character (Balin). Pratel will follow with the others trailing in the rear. The entire time underground Balin will be smelling for valuables and can sense traps, shifting walls and new construction...(dwarf underground abilities)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

There are iron rungs set into the wall to allow descent....whoever is going down will need both hands available. They will need to descend into the dark alone, with no easy weapon at hand.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Curses!" Balin grumbles as he sees the way into the tunnels. Getting his rope, from the backpack, than securing it around his waist he than gives the other end to Pratel and Bron. "I am going down. Give me some light and hold onto this rope. If you think I need help...haul me he heck out of this place!"

With the rope tied to his waist, Balin makes his way down the iron rungs. Pratel's torch, shinning from above, and his darkvision active he scans the area of his decent.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The narrow tunnel goes down 30 feet to the floor of a chamber. The heat from Pratel's torch makes a bright spot overhead as the dwarf's infravision kicks in. There is a passage to the north, not far from where Pratel comes to the ground. He can also see a door to the west. The room is longer east-west than north-south, and the iron rungs are set into the east wall. A pile of jumbled crates lies to the southeast....it smells like foul meat and mouse droppings. Small fungi are growing from the crates.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:The narrow tunnel goes down 30 feet to the floor of a chamber. The heat from Pratel's torch makes a bright spot overhead as the dwarf's infravision kicks in. There is a passage to the north, not far from where Pratel comes to the ground. He can also see a door to the west. The room is longer east-west than north-south, and the iron rungs are set into the east wall. A pile of jumbled crates lies to the southeast....it smells like foul meat and mouse droppings. Small fungi are growing from the crates.
ooc...Anyway you could draw a rough map of the place?

After reaching the bottom of the ladder, Balin unties the rope and secures it within his backpack. Looking up he sees the flickering light of Pratel's torch and calls out. " Come on down. There appears to be some sort of dank, smelly room with at least of exit." Balin lights ups a torch and stands near the rungs. With dagger in one hand and torch the other he waits for the others.

ooc... Pratel goes down and I guess the others will follow.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:ooc...Anyway you could draw a rough map of the place?
I would hate to deny you the pleasure of getting lost.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:ooc...Anyway you could draw a rough map of the place?
I would hate to deny you the pleasure of getting lost.
ooc... I made a rough map (old school style) and will wait for the rest of the party to make it down before venturing forth.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

A rat runs across the floor, almost as if to bump the thread.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc... I was going to wait for fireinthedust, but I guess it is time to revive this adventure.

Having the entire group in the dank and dark tunnels Balin and Bron head over to the north passage and stair up it. Balin notices the two ladies standing around. "Arvandra and Lady Aelfwyn, might you head over to the west door and take a look at it? See if it is locked and listen for noises that might be coming from within."

Pratel, with torch in hand, remains in the middle of the room giving light for all to see by. Looking over at the pile of barrels and rot in the southeast corner of the room he starts to choke on his own bile. "Best stay away from those rotten barrels for they have some nasty looking fungi growing one them."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Hmmm....It might make a difference if you are aware that climbing down over the old iron rungs has a seriously debilitating effect on elves - they are -1d on the dice chain to all actions for the next hour.

In any event, the passage to the north is narrow, and seems to open into a space maybe 40 feet away. Before that, another narrow passage leads off from the left-hand side.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc..and the west door. What did the two women find out?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Silent as a tomb....but it does not appear to have a lock.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Pratel, heads over to the west door. "Excuse me ladies." He opens the door just enough so the three of them can see within the room. "Now let's have a look before moving onward."

The opening of the west door:
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ooc: again, apologies.

Can lady Aelfwyn avoid the iron rungs by holding them with a cloth, such as a cloak? Or could Bron carry her down? As I'm way late, I'm fine with filing that option away for next time. The Lady elf is there as a party follower and dramatic/RP purposes, not as a character; Arvandra and Bron don't trust to leave her in the village alone, perhaps wanting to return her to the Elves for safe keeping: while the dungeons are dangerous, they can't leave her in the same village that (iirc) knew of the Curwens or similar issues, and did nothing. An outsider elf such as herself basically has a target on her for lynch mobs, moreso now that Arvandra associates with her, so may be safer with the heroic adventurers! (Or not...)

IC:

The ladies let Pratel pass as Lady Aelfwyn stumbles for a moment, the touch of iron weakening her.

Arvandra helps Lady Aelfwyn along the passage. My dear, where are your gloves? The world of mortals is filled with cold iron, you must be more careful.

Bron moves beside Pratel, in case he needs the support of a strong swordarm, and the mercenary has a look around the room as well.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I am working on some material, and may be a little less post-y in the next couple of weeks, but I will try to keep work from interrupting play as much as possible!

Opening the door to the east, you can smell something vile, like rotting flesh, coming from that direction. There is about 30 feet of hallway, ending in another door, which is partially ajar.

Sorry, but climbing down the iron rungs has affected poor Lady Aelfwyn, and gloves would not be enough to prevent the effect. We take elves' vulnerability to iron seriously here in the Curwen homestead!
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”