The People of the Pit

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: The People of the Pit

Post by MrHemlocks »

Pratel, shudders from the scent of decay coming from the west tunnel. Balin, seeing Pratel's facial movements knows something is not right. Holding his breath he fumbles his words out. "What is that god awful smell?"

"Ladies," Pratels say to those near the door. "Please, steep back a bit and let Balin and I take a look behind the other west door."

Balin, using his 10' pole to feel his way down the tunnel travels to the far west door. Pratel, with torch in hand follows the dwarf.

ooc... When reaching the door Balin will look for traps that might be connected to the door. Also he listens for strange sounds and orders coming from behind it. If he can, he will try to also see through the cracked open door.

ooc...You wrote east door. You mean west door...correct?

Pratel smiles when he sees an aura appear over the head of the dwarf.

ooc...Pratel cast BLESSING on the dwarf. Rolled 17 (total).
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ooc: gloves don't work? Gosh. She doesn't have them, btw, but that's good to know.

IC:

Bron, Arvandra, and Lady Aelfwyn follow along with the torch, Arvandra and the elf stumbling on as best they can.

Bron is right up at the front with the others, ready to hack and slash with this blade. The smell, to him, is a sign that enemies are near, or some other evil thing left by the Curwens, so he is on high alert.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:ooc...You wrote east door. You mean west door...correct?
Right you are.

There is no sound beyond the door, but the foul smell is stronger as one gets nearer. Beyond, in an L-shaped chamber bending to the left, you can see the body of a large man-like form, ripe with maggots. The flesh is swollen with the gasses of decomposition.

There are also some shelves here, holding supplies for sausage making, and some old, blood-stained barrels.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin, gets to within 10' of the corpse and prods it with his 10' pole. He places his free arm up around his face to cover himself from the smell and just in case the corpse could pop open spilling itself outward.

Pratel and Bron follow close behind.

ooc... Balin and Pratel are taking notice of the room and its contents. Also, they scan the area, while walking toward the corpse, for traps and hidden doors.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Bron likewise expects the body to burst open, so he's got his left arm over his mouth and nose.

Is there any obvious sign of what killed this creature? Did your group come this way before?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

fireinthedust wrote:Bron likewise expects the body to burst open, so he's got his left arm over his mouth and nose.

Is there any obvious sign of what killed this creature? Did your group come this way before?
ooc...My characters need not come this way before. All new to me too :wink:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The large man has a shaggy beard and almost no chin. The hair on his head, also thick and shaggy, is clotted with old blood and brains. He appears to have been dead for a few weeks, and both the rats and the flies have found him.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Staying their distance from the rotting corpse, Pratel and Balin make their way around the corner and head south down the tunnel.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Beyond the turn in the room, you can see a rude cot and a the remains of a smashed barrel. A passage leads out to the south, entering a square chamber after a short distance. Narrow holes – no more than a foot in diameter – are drilled into the floor of this chamber, and there are ominous stains near the holes, from centuries of offal. The smell from below is even worse than that of the dead body in the chamber behind you. There are passages to the south, east, and west.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Pratel and Balin place their arms around their mouth and nose. Signaling for the rest of the party to follow, they make it to the entrance of the south chamber. There they wait for the others to join them.

ooc... Both characters will look for secret doors and hidden traps along the way.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Bron is likewise keeping a cautious eye out while the others look for traps, as is Arvandra (while she holds onto poor Lady Aelfwyn). Bron, however, is keeping himself ready in case something jumps at the others while they actively search. If he spots something from a slight distance, he'll make suggestions to aide the other two. The plan here is to be backup for them, running to the rescue while they search: he's got their backs.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...Is the game still one? Raven had not posted here in over 16 days! I mean come on now...16 days! Unless he is sick, god forbid, or has no internet there is NO reason he could not post a few times by now. It takes less than one minute to post a sentence or two. No matter how busy one's life is not able devote the time to post one sentence every day of two, takes less than one minute, than maybe your not really committed to the running the game?

Raven, you posted a couple days ago, on the GG message, boards but not on the PbP games you are running...why? I even sent you a PM and you never replied.

If you want to end your games here...fine. Just let the rest of know..ok?

Sad to let the game die away, but it seems like his others games died away also from The Unseen Servant play by post forums.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: I'm here. I've been really slow myself, recently (as you've no doubt noticed from time to time). From what little I know of Raven, my (uneducated) guess would be that it's a legitimate delay. I myself have been crippled by some alien plague (much like the Tick), an ailment I can only describe as a most un-common cold.

On an only slightly related note, I'm putting some touches on my module for DCC rpg; I hope to have it close to ready for the Goodman-okay-draft soon. Lots of art, and I like what I've put in, but I'm sweating about real people seeing it. Or maybe that's the flu/cold/pneumonia/ebola...

Anyone want to take a look at a draft pdf while we wait for Raven? Shoot me a PM with your email.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sorry about the long delay; I am late with some material, and time is at a premium.

You are gathered in the room to the south. Narrow holes – no more than a foot in diameter – are drilled into the floor of this
chamber, and buckets are in all the corners – whatever their former contents, they are overgrown now with mould and fungus. The floor is stained by the holed. There is a passage east and west, and a narrower passage to the south.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Pratel, pondering the situation decides to ask his deity for guidance. Getting down onto his knees he ask for the gift of foresight. His eyes seem to glow as if infused by holy light. "Choranus, hear my pray, or this I ask you."

ooc... He will cast Second Sight spell.
1d20+1=11 He burns one luck for a total of 12 on roll.
He ask which passage is the safest to go in, and how to safely get to it while exiting the filthy room that loams before him.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: glad to have you back!

IC:

Bron is all business, standing guard over the cleric as prayers are said, in case any foe should appear while the priest is distracted.

Arvandra is still helping Lady Aelfwyn, and they shuffle into the room behind the others.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Good luck guys...I am gone)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Some strange magic is triggered by Pratel's orison, and the astonished cleric (etc.) fade from view, taken to some far away plane by the whim of Choranus.

Sorry again about the long delay between posts. No one should ever play in a game they do not enjoy, and MrHemlocks is free to depart with no rancour on my part. Should he wish to return, his characters are in Limbo until that point as far as I am concerned. I am hoping to add new characters shortly.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Bron and Arvandra gasp as the others fade away.

Blast! What sorcery is this?

Not sorcery, warrior. Piety. That was clearly the will of his patron, Choranus. (sigh) Then it is up to us to plumb these depths, without the guide of their foreknowledge or the healing powers.

Well... Fine. Fine. Can Lady Aelfwyn continue? If it's just the three of us, I see no point putting you two in danger with no help from others.

ooc: Should we re-recruit? Arvandra has no offensive spells, and there's no healing.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:ooc: Should we re-recruit? Arvandra has no offensive spells, and there's no healing.
Lady Aelfwyn can continue.

I have had a request to play; hopefully this will help.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ooc: As a player, I'm totally okay with them starting at 1st level instead of 0-level. I will totally understand if they start at 0, however. But if they had piles of healing potions and weapons... And a magical talking tiger mount for Bron. With a side-car for Lady Aelfwyn...
mummson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mummson »

Sorry ill have to join in a later session, Ill withdraw my request to jump in :)
Last edited by mummson on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:ooc: As a player, I'm totally okay with them starting at 1st level instead of 0-level. I will totally understand if they start at 0, however. But if they had piles of healing potions and weapons... And a magical talking tiger mount for Bron. With a side-car for Lady Aelfwyn...
I'll have them up to 1st level well before People of the Pit proper.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

ooc: so should we continue on, or zip back to town and get more help from these new players? And... did the others drop a torch when they vanished? None of mine were carrying one, actually.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:ooc: so should we continue on, or zip back to town and get more help from these new players? And... did the others drop a torch when they vanished? None of mine were carrying one, actually.
It would be fair to assume that torches were left behind. Whether you continue on or return to recruit is up to you.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”