Prince Charming, Reanimator

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Prince Charming, Reanimator

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sorry for the delay.

@MrHemlocks: A DCC round is 10 seconds. The task you have set your characters to will take several rounds to accomplish.

@GreyWolfVT: The dragon's Initiative is 18 + 4, or 22. Horris can still beat that if he chooses to spend 4 points of Luck....?

@drpete: That result would indicate: "Spell produces a blast of fire that burns a single target within range for 1d6 points of damage." There are a couple of other things to deal with in regards to your spell use, but I need to know whether the dragon goes first or not before I can resolve them.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Sorry for the delay.

@MrHemlocks: A DCC round is 10 seconds. The task you have set your characters to will take several rounds to accomplish.

@GreyWolfVT: The dragon's Initiative is 18 + 4, or 22. Horris can still beat that if he chooses to spend 4 points of Luck....?

@drpete: That result would indicate: "Spell produces a blast of fire that burns a single target within range for 1d6 points of damage." There are a couple of other things to deal with in regards to your spell use, but I need to know whether the dragon goes first or not before I can resolve them.
Yes Throm will use 4 points of luck then.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Yes Throm will use 4 points of luck then.
Good decision. Because you roll once for all 0-level PCs, Throm can indeed spend the Luck needed to make Horris beat the dragon.

Horris is able to grab the still-burning sword, but not the shield, and attack the dragon. Since his roll is a critical hit, Horris rolls 1d4 + Luck modifier. Normally, the player would roll this, but to keep things moving, I did....a 2. In this case, Horris strikes the dragon in the eye, doing +1d4 damage. Because the base attack did 6, and the fire does (+1d6) 1, and the crit does (+1d4) 4, the total damage is 11. The dragon has taken 21 points of damage, and now looks to be in rough shape.

But it is not dead yet, and it retaliates. Claw (12 + 5), Claw (4 + 5), and Bite (2 + 5) leaves a single hit (LUcky!), but that hit does 1d6 damage - 2 points.

Trom drags Bran away, and the dragon lashes at him with its tail. 9 + 5 is 14, a palpable hit. The thorny tail causes 1d12 damage (5 points) and is poisonous (Fort save DC 10 or take another 1d6 damage) if the Trom can survive the initial 5 points. (If so, the d6 roll is 1 point).

Foxfire calls upon the names of ancient, horrible powers, and her hands begin to smoke with roiling black flames as the ancient powers respond, their energy coursing through the elf's body (each point of spellburn must come from Strength, Agility, or Stamina; divide it up as you will; you heal 1 point per day from any one ability score) and leaving her feeling drained. The damage roll for the spell is 1 point (22 points of damage total to the dragon now).

EDIT: Forgot to apply an important part of the DCC magic system - Mercurial Magic. When a wizard or elf learns a new spell, there is a roll, modified by Luck, to determine how the spell interacts for that character specifically. So, I decided to apply that, and rolled a 74. Since Foxfire has no Luck modifier, the effect she gets is: Tide of ash. All living vegetative matter within 10’ per spell level is reduced to ash. Vegetative creatures caught within this radius take 1d14 points of damage per spell level. Dead vegetative matter is unaffected. There is a 1% chance of this happening - it is only on a roll of "74". The dragon therefore takes 5 hit points of damage, and shrivels into ash from the force of the spell.

Everyone gains 4 XP (including those who went downstairs/fled or who fell unconscious). Remember that at 10 XP you become level 1 characters. I can help with those transitions if you need help.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

No point in the save 5 is 2 more HP than Throm had so yet another of my characters is dead. Is Bran alive and sleeping or dead from that cloud the dragon sent out originally? I just need to know if Horris is all I have left now.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Sorry for the delay.

ooc...Ok,just let me know when my below group is done :wink:
GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

ooc: I just need to know if I am down to one or two characters. Because now I need to divide more crap up....
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The characters caught by the dragon's breath are sleeping peacefully.
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

sorry for my delay, I'm a little swamped with work at the moment... I'll catch up as soon as I can, but I may need another day or so.

Very pleased that the rose dragon is dead, Foxfire will rest until the sleepers wake up. The spell has left her extremely weak and pale.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I am running into some difficulties at work and at home, and some overdue deadlines in the secondary adventure-writing department that are limiting my time as well.

Foxfire begins to rest, glad of the end of the rose dragon. She has just caught her breath (but spellburn damage heals FAR more slowly!) when she detects the smell of....smoke?....rising up from below.
SoBH pbp:

GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

OOC: Well I am down to two characters now..... Horris and Bran once Bran is awake will split up what they can carry that Throm had. I'm not busy so no hold up here.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Rafo, Balin and Tarpy, continue their work in the Great Hall. "Hurry up mates", cries Tarpy, "this needs to be done!"

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

No one who has fallen due to the dragon's breath has awoken, but the smell of smoke is growing obvious, and you can begin to hear the sounds of crackling flame.
SoBH pbp:

GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm going to gracefully bow out of this game sorry. But thanks for the experience.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Distributed the spellburn... Foxfire is at 5 in all her physical stats, and my guys are at 8 XP so far. If Greywolf's guys are gone, what about their stuff (especially the various artifacts?)

Foxfire will get up, and gather up what equipment she can. She'll shout down "Are you guys burning down the castle?? We're in the middle of something here! These guys were put to sleep by the dragon! You're going to kill them!"

She'll go have a quick look down into the main hall, but intends to just check what the heck is going on before heading to the next test.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Rafo, Balin and Tarpy continue their work. Rafo, hearing Foxfire shouts back. "This place has brought us nothing but pain and death. There is NOTHING, except the statue of goddess Justica, worth saving in this hell hole. Yes, we are burning it to the ground. Now get the heck down here!"

Balin also pipes in. "What is started can not be stopped. We will deal with the 'prince' when after returning back to our village. Do you need help getting down the steps?"

Tarpy, readies himself to go up the steps in case anyone needs help getting outside to safety.

ooc...I am trying to role play scared peasants. Hope no one minds their frantic actions :wink:
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Foxfire sighs wearily. "The dragon is dead. If you put out the fire, we can go finish the quest. Would you at least take these sleeping men out before you burn them to death?"
I guess I'm ok with it, but since I think it's just the two of us, and I'm going to try to finish the adventure, it feels like you're planning to kill my characters... Are we going into pvp?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Having the fire blazing Tarpy and Rafo head up the stairs and gather the sleeping men. Taking each under arm they remove them from the burning structure. Balin continues tending to the fire ever increasing its savage fury. "Got it!" Balin yells out. "This place and all the evil within it are going to be cleansed!"
GreyWolfVT
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GreyWolfVT »

just a final parting gift here are the items that were on the 3 remaining now all dead characters.

Crowbar
Hen
bronze buckler [embossed with an upraised hand which can negate one critical hit against its user each day]
Waterskin
Pony
Yellow Orb [it can be used by a wizard or elf to gain a +2 bonus to a single spell check once each day]
Locket
Lantern
Long Sword
Wood (10 lbs)
Flask - empty
Silver earrings with small red stones
Short Sword
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Down below, it is obvious that tables, chairs, and other burnables have been moved against the stone walls and set alight (if the party below had any oil before, they have none now). There is a good bit of flame as tapestries catch and light, but the stone walls are merely blackened at this point. The beams might catch, and might burn internally enough to damage and/or collapse the structure, but the only imminent danger is from the smoke. If you wanted to try to rescue the Sleeping Beauty, you probably have at least an hour to do so. Or you could help build the fire and hope to burn the old castle down.....?
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Than an hour it is....

After making their way outside with the injured and sleeping, Balin, Rafo and Tarpy wait for the rest of the survivors. Than they will decide, as a group, what their next course of action shall be.

OOC... If no one else wants the long sword and buckler... my characters will grab them up.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...we still on???
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It takes three hours for the sleepers to awaken. By that time, whatever damage the fire is going to do has surely been done.
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

I'm sorry guys, things here got very very busy, but should be better now.

Foxfire joins the others in waiting for the damage from the fire to finish its course, and for the sleepers to awaken.

"Alright, so the mirror says there's one more obstacle, an illusionary pit. Shall we go find it and... Make a leap of faith?"
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

OOC...So, I guess we are waiting till the fill does its 'thing'. Than we search for other clues if so desire.
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Ok, soooo... Foxfire will take the orb and the chicken.

Foxfire, Renlo and Bryce will then return into the burned castle to see how bad it is. Can they still get up the stais to the room where the rose dragon was? If the stair is burned out, can they either boost each other up, or maybe boost up with the horse to get up there? My goal is to continue where we left off, treating the fire damage as a nuisance, if possible.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”