Prince Charming, Reanimator

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Prince Charming, Reanimator

Post by Raven_Crowking »

When the Beauty is laid upon the sward, the men-at-arms train their crossbows upon you, and you are ordered by the bailiff to lay down your arms in the presence of your betters.

“Fear not,” says Prince Charming, “for you have earned this reward at least – that you shall see me awaken and claim Beauty. Then, I am afraid, you must pass on from this world, lest you carry rumors to your village peers.”
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:When the Beauty is laid upon the sward, the men-at-arms train their crossbows upon you, and you are ordered by the bailiff to lay down your arms in the presence of your betters.

“Fear not,” says Prince Charming, “for you have earned this reward at least – that you shall see me awaken and claim Beauty. Then, I am afraid, you must pass on from this world, lest you carry rumors to your village peers.”
ooc...Can you please describe the setting? How many guards? How many player characters we still have? A map could be real useful right about now. Thanks... :wink:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You are in a clearing in the Grimmswood, about 100 yards across, along an old track leading back toward your village. While a fork in the path goes to Sefton Castle, another branch goes north, and would presumably take you eventually to Portsmouth.

Prince Charming, mounted, is not wearing armour but is armed with a longsword. His bailiff, also mounted, is wearing chain and bears a sheathed short sword. There are 20 guardsmen armed with loaded crossbows and short swords, and wearing studded leather armour. The bailiff is a little bit forward, the men-at-arms fanned out with their crossbows pointed towards you. The nearest man-at-arms is about 40 feet away, the bailiff on his mount 20 feet away, the Prince about 50 feet away. The individual carrying the princess is 50 feet from the nearest trees, as well as anyone who stuck with him. Others are about 1d3 x 10 feet from the trees, and could potentially flee (if they were fast and lucky).

I had assumed that you were keeping track of your characters, so I am not really sure who is still living.

It is clear that Prince Charming means to kill you, although your characters would probably remember that the ghost of Doctor Chapman advised you that it was safe (for you) to obey. The question is, I guess, how much do you trust the ghost? And how much do you trust your luck?

You can obey, hoping for some turn of fate. You can attack, hoping that boldness wins the day. You can flee, hoping that the men-at-arms will not shoot you down before you can reach the safety of the trees. Or you can do something else entirely, if you can think of something else to do. By this time, the sun is in the west, and the shadows are growing long. If you trust your fate to the Grimmswood, you might be able to lose yourselves among the trees. Then again, the Grimmswood has a dark and fey reputation.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...Well, since my characters are two dwarves and one Halfling...the dwarves will trust the fates, and Chapman's advice, and obey. Hoping something good will come of this. The Halfling, being swift and small will dash into the high brush and head towards the darkening woods. Maybe use a few Halfling lucky points if needed :)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Okay, then. The Prince smiles coldly, and waves his hand as the halfling plunges into the forest.

"There will be time enough for him, later," he says.

The Prince dismounts and removes a small wooden case from his saddlebags before approaching the s till form of Beauty. He removes a syringe from the case, filled with a pale blue liquid…as pale and blue as his own cold eyes. This he injects into Beauty, into the large vein of the neck. After a few moments, the still form begins to breathe more easily.

“So,” says the Prince, “the dead can be made to live again.”

The bailiff and the men-at-arms look distinctly uneasy at this. Ignoring their discomfort, Prince Charming kneels on the sward, lifts Beauty in his arms, and kisses her full upon the lips.

For a moment, it seems a long and passionate kiss, as Beauty’s arms go up and cling to the Prince’s back. But then it is clear that his cheeks are growing sallow – his very form deflating as though an empty balloon. The Prince tries frantically to escape, finally pulling away with a face as gaunt and lined as that of a grandfather. The Beauty gives a piercing scream of hunger, stunning all who hear it, and then rips the Prince’s head clean off his shoulders.

The bailiff screams. The men-at-arms are confused at first, and will not be able to act on the first round.

Roll for initiative.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

int roll...1d20 → [15] = (15)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Beauty goes at 20 (natural roll, +0 Init), one claw going into the bailiff, ripping his heart from his chest. Then she eviscerates one of the men-at-arms.

Both horses bolt, galloping down the forest path back towards Westlake.

Beauty seems to be ignoring you for the moment. What do you do?
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin looks at Rafo and says, "we were told to not run so we stand our ground and have faith in the gods." Balin than yells out, Justica save us!"

Both characters will stay the distance from the she beast. Keeping enough distance between them so if they needed to run away they could.

Tarpy makes for the woods...
Last edited by MrHemlocks on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc: Well..not sure what to do here. Posted my response and the other players vanished((((
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sorry....I thought I had responded, but I guess it didn't "take". Or else it double-posted, and I accidentally deleted both. :(

Beauty rips the soldiers apart, all but the few who flee down the woodland trail back towards Westlake. Then, hoisting up the Prince’s head, she disappears into the woods. As they last you him, the Prince’s eyes are wild, and his mouth open in a silent scream, for his head is still alive.

The woods are now eerily silent. The remains of horses and men litter the ground. The Prince, except his head, also lies upon the ground, his blood soaking into the dark earth.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin and Rafo wait a few moments to make sure all is clear. Than go up to the dead price and guards and take whatever weapons and gear from them. Rafo, looks over at Balin. "Least now we can get paid for this job!" Balin nods with agreement. "And the perverted prince got what was coming to him also!"

ooc... After the loot is gathered they get a horse and ride back into town. If a wagon is part of the caravan Balin will ride it while Rafo takes a horse.

Before heading back to the village both give thanks to Justicar and plan to retrieve the statue from the ruins once things settle down a bit...

Tarpy, continues to make his way back to the village.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...We done? Have not seen you post here in over 10 days(
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:ooc...We done? Have not seen you post here in over 10 days(
I'm having a hard time finding the time, but we are not done.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:ooc...We done? Have not seen you post here in over 10 days(
I'm having a hard time finding the time, but we are not done.
Back yet? Your not overseas fighting for Russia are you? If so, than take your time and more power to you!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Back, but trying to get caught up on all I missed while away.

Do you have any preferences about how you start looting? Prince's body? Bailiff? Men-at-arms?
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Well, being frighten to death, they will make a fast search of the Prince and those around him. They than will get on the wagon and ride back to town. Hopefully to meet up with Tarpy.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You can scavenge weapons and arms from the fallen - most had short swords and there are a number of crossbows laying around. Each man-at-arms has 2d4 sp and 3d5 cp. The bailiff had a spear, the prince a longsword. It takes a round to recover a weapon, or a quiver of 1d20 bolts, or the coins from a man-at-arms' pouch.

Prince Charming wears a gold and ruby ring and has 2d7 gp and 3d8 sp in his pouch. His wooden case has three full syringes of liquid in it. It takes 1 round to recover the ring, the coins, or the case.

The 20 men-at-arms were wearing studded leather armour, and the bailiff chainmail. It takes 1 round to check to see if armour is still usable (1 in 3 chance that it is ruined), and 2d6 rounds to strip the armour off.

What does each surviving character attempt to do, for the first ten rounds? You may roll all variables.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin and Rafo realize that the armor is too big for their small frames so leave it be.

Balin gathers in ten rounds:

1) one short sword, 2) one crossbow, 3) nine bolts, 4) bailliff's spear, 5) small shield, 6) 20 silver & 33 copper off 4 bodies.

Rafo gathers in 10 rounds:

1) Prince ring (10 gold), 2) 12 silver from Prince's pocket, 3)Prince's long sword, 4) crossbow, 5) 11 bolts, 6) wooden case has three full syringes of liquid in it (from Prince), 7) 12 silver & 18 copper from three bodies.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

While you are looting, on the 7th round, you hear a voice, clearly, but as though at a distance: “When she arises, so too shall all who sleep in this castle.”

On the tenth round, you begin to hear noises in the forest, coming from the direction of Sefton Castle.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Balin and Rafo look at each other when hearing the strange sounds. "Let's get the heck out of here," shouts Rafo! They quickly finish gathering loot; get into the wagon and make their way toward the village to warn the others.

Running through the woods and open fields, Tarpy also waste no time in returning to the villagae. "Come on feet do not fail me now!"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

As you flee the dark forest, you catch glimpses of the dead arisen from Sefton Castle. They are mostly skeletal forms, shambling through the forest, and they are many.

Adventure continues in this thread: http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtop ... 79&t=46904
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”