The Arwich Grinder

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: The Arwich Grinder

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You are very welcome.

The village folk start by being anxious to hear about what happened, but after the story is well under way, several of them begin to get rather reticent about hearing your adventures. Indeed, what it implies about the "heroes" who saved Arwich during the famine, and what it implies about the (unknowing) sins of the townsfolk who survived is a bit more than many can stomach (pardon the pun). Even those who believe you, and those who do not (somehow) blame you for what you have learned start to shun you.

There are eight books from the sitting room. Travels Among the Savages by Sir John Greyingville falls open naturally to a plate depicting a man being butchered by a huge, hairy northman. All of the other books are in even worse condition that this mouldy and water-stained volume. Only two others are not completely destroyed: Husbandry of Ye Pigs and Swine and Goodeman’s Manual of Household Games.

There was a small shelf of mouldering books recovered from an upstairs bedroom…even though only a third of the words of any of these are legible, they are disturbing to look at. The mould seems to have gotten into the illustrations not randomly, but to highlight certain disgusting abnormalities of the creatures depicted in. These books are The Booke of the Gates of Life and Death, Wonders of ye Darke, and The Book of Eibon Stars.

If you have not yet levelled your survivors, now is the time to do so.

You have time to think, plan, read books, learn spells (if a wizard or elf; clerics just get them), etc. before leaping into another adventure, if you so choose. If you have not played/read/run any of the following, you may choose which adventure I will run for you next:

* The Imperishable Sorceress (Daniel J. Bishop, Goodman Games)
* People of the Pit (Joseph Goodman, Goodman Games)
* Intrigue at the Court of Chaos (Michael Curtis, Goodman Games)
* Doom of the Savage Kings (Harley Stroh, Goodman Games)
* Well of the Worm (Harley Stroh, Goodman Games)
* Sepulcher of the Mountain God (Paul Wolfe, Purple Duck Games)
* Through the Cotillion Hours (Daniel J. Bishop, Purple Duck Games)

There are other Level 1 adventures, but these are the easiest to fit into the established setting around Arwich.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

WOW! We did it... least that is what my guys think after resting up :wink:

It has been a lot of fun and thanks a ton for running it. Now as for the next adventure:

People of the Pit
Intrigue at the Court of Chaos

I have a few of the others and either read or GMed them already.

Can Balin become a dwarf rune priest? The character class was made for DCC and in Gygax magazine #3.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Dwarven rune priest is fine.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

How about starting cash for our first level characters? Unless we sold some of the books we gathered we still have zero cash(

Being a rat catcher hardly pays the bills... :lol:
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You had the opportunity to gain stuff. That's all I guarantee.

No one comes by your house and hands you gold.......... :twisted:
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Well, then over the next few months my guys will raid the house and passages that are below the well for anything they can sell. Tools, books, live stock and oddities should sell well to the locals. Maybe even sell some items to other villages. Not sure how you want to play this out...

There was a temple area that will be raided!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MrHemlocks wrote:Well, then over the next few months my guys will raid the house and passages that are below the well for anything they can sell. Tools, books, live stock and oddities should sell well to the locals. Maybe even sell some items to other villages. Not sure how you want to play this out...

There was a temple area that will be raided!
You may wish to level up before attempting such a task.
SoBH pbp:

GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

Abram will level up to a Warrior (I'll get that finished up today). I have not run or played or read any of the adventures you listed, RC, so I'm fine with anything.
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

(OOC: Abram is now Bandit-Beggar!)

Abram Cove doesn't mind that the town shuns him. They didn't particularly make friendly with him when he was on the streets begging for scraps or copper. Now, however, he's set aside that pretense and walks the street as if a man remade in the fires of adversity. He deliberately meets people's eye and is amused when they look away. He knows what they did, and himself, too, when he isn't deceiving himself. When making the townspeople uncomfortable grows old he takes to working with his new iron axe in the alley practicing cuts and swings. He spends a little time working with the club, as well as the sling though his skill with the sling isn't nearly as good. And that is how he passes the days until something happens or the coin runs out.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

OOC...Glasseye: Let's sell a few of those books. With the money earned we can better equip our characters. My dwarf can smell gold and jems, so after leveling and buying needed supplies we can go to the ruins and let the dwarf smell for loot. What you say?

OOC...DM, iF he agrees how much can we get for the books? I do not want any of them. Need supplies more than a few moldy forgotten tombs.
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

The books were salvaged by fireinthedust's characters. IMO they probably kept possession of them and we wouldn't have access to them. Abram wouldn't really be too keen on going back to the tunnels on Curwen farm either. He would much rather find a couple of like-minded villagers and head off looking for treasure elsewhere.

Which brings up the next subject: do we have enough players/characters to continue? Neither drpete nor fireinthedust have been around or posted in quite a while.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

GlassEye wrote:The books were salvaged by fireinthedust's characters. IMO they probably kept possession of them and we wouldn't have access to them. Abram wouldn't really be too keen on going back to the tunnels on Curwen farm either. He would much rather find a couple of like-minded villagers and head off looking for treasure elsewhere.

Which brings up the next subject: do we have enough players/characters to continue? Neither drpete nor fireinthedust have been around or posted in quite a while.
ooc:We can both run 2 characters. Also, we might find 1-2 more players that are will to give it a go. Either way I want to go onward...

If the others dropped than maybe the DM can let us have the books. Like the other characters shared what they found before retiring from adventuring? I find it a bit rude that they might of left and not even said anything :( fireinthedust had not posted in over 20 days and drpete even longer! Hope their alright...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust is having some difficulty logging on at the moment. Hopefully that will be resolved soon.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Great! Nice to hear that fireinthedust will be with us. I made a dwarf and cleric but will not post them till the new thread adventure is up...I am guessing.
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

So what's our status with this?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Not sure about fireinthedust's login problems, but I am getting ready to go camping, and am hard at work completing some writing projects before I go.
SoBH pbp:

GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

Good luck with the work and have a great time camping!
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Enjoy your camping and we will be ready when you return :wink:
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Agreed! I'm having fun. I... well, I vanished to finish my publishing course (yay!) and as we speak I'm trying to draw maps for the DCCRPG adventure I'm going to self-publish (if the honorable Mr Goodman allowe... also Yay!). And I'm also in quarantine with a stomach bug (yay?).
That said, Glasseye is correct: this is a great game. I'm good to continue, for what that's worth.

Anyhoo: Yes, we grab the books in the study, and then flee from the building back to the Inn. While I would have slain the old man, Brom won't take the chance that he's more than meets the eye (dark tomes and all), and we're in no condition to deal with that.

Stumbling back to town, dark tomes wrapped in Arvandra's cloak, the band meets with the others at the Inn (or on the road).

Bron is wounded, and Trapper bleeds from a gash in his forehead, but the group sits with the others.

"It is good to see you few have survived. We set the house ablaze, after what we saw there. Demons, horrors. We took some of their books to see what kind of witchery those wretches had gotten up to. We'll need a priest, perhaps, to cleanse the grounds. And go back when we can to lay our dead to rest."

"What did you find?" Arvandra starts to move around the group, looking at wounds and seeing which of them needs the most tending-to. She uses bandages and herbs where needed, on the entire group. Some to check the pain, some to stop the bleeding.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

....aaaaand I totally didn't notice that last page. Blurgh.

Yay, we did it! Okay, so are we skipping ahead a bunch? Not continuing on from the Inn, potentially haunted by the ghosts of the Curwen clan?

Characters:Are we doing one or two characters each?

I think I'll level Bron up as a Warrior. While he could go Wizard, I think he's done Warrior stuff, and would do well in that role. He's a mercenary, so if the group is leaving to find work, he'll go with them. After all, they survived the Curwen house, they may be good in a fight.

Arvandra is Wizard material, plus she's got the books. And her cottage in the woods (made of sweat meats and gingersnaps...). She's got the books, and is pouring over them to gain her level. I would sell the ones that aren't useful for wizardry, and Arvandra is kind-hearted if pragmatic (ie: she'll amputate to save the patient), so she could share the wealth with the party (ie: those who are still speaking to each other after this debacle). I'm not sure who she'd sell them to, given we're in ye medieval village, and most of them are mouldering.

I like having Arvandra along, but she's not PC material (ie: very sweet, but kinda dumb). Can she be a henchman of some sort, sits on the wagon and cares for the horses? Like, an NPC who hangs out with the group? She gets along well with Arvandra, and Bron likely wouldn't want her harmed or left alone in this village.

Trapper is going off to the woods, to check his rabbit tracks and, potentially, die horribly at the start of the next adventure, spurring us to act.

I'm good for any of the aforementioned adventures. While I own people of the pit, and know there's something about tentacles and cultists, and a pit (where people are from), that's it. Ergo... yeah, I'm good to go!
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Glad your back! Now what is next?)))
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Decide what you would like to do during a brief rest of three weeks or so.....read books, learn spells, heal, etc.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

During the weeks of rest, Balin became a dwarf skilled in the arts of sword and board while Pratel became a holy man (cleric) bent of destroying the evils that plague the lands.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”