The Arwich Grinder

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: The Arwich Grinder

Post by drpete »

Bill readies his weapon, and tries to study the "people" in the pit. Is there any sign that they are not human?

Above, Godwin will crumble his chalk into dust, looking for a way to locate the creature.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Arvandra and Lady Aelfwyn, hearing themselves called, hustle up the ladder as they can. Lady Aelfwyn is there first, but the thought of combat makes her wince, as does the gore about the room, and the creepy baby giggles.

Arvandra hobbles slowly towards the ladder, her elderly legs moving her as they can, and makes her way up.

Trapper fumbles with his shot, the sling whipping around and richochetting off the ceiling to strike his brow. There is blood, but it is (thankfully) not fatal. Was the sling caught on the unseen creature's limbs? With the lantern swinging about, it is impossible for him to tell.

Bron cares nothing for Trapper's fumble, but watches for a place to strike. He lashes with his sword, and catches... something!

OOC: the Damage was rolled the first time, and was a 3.

"It bleeds! And if it can bleed, it can die!" Bron tries to see if he can strike once more, perhaps drive his blade home. (+1, 1d8+1)

Trapper tries to gauge where to throw another stone, following Bron's lead as best he can. (+0, 1d4)

Lady Aelfwyn strikes out with her staff (+1, 1d4+1) at the same time Arvandra lunges with her cane (+0, 1d4).

1d20+1=13, 1d8+1=3, 1d20=3, 1d4=1, 1d20+1=6, 1d4+1=2, 1d20=6, 1d4=4

OOC: Bron hits for 3, the others miss.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ABOVE: Arvandra and Lady Aelfwyn cannot scramble up the ladder and attack in the same 10 seconds. As the first climbs up the ladder, she is in time to see Bron strike and draw blood from...something?....that cannot be seen. There is a squall of pain, as though from a colossal infant and then a stream of iridescent bubbles vomits forth from the empty air, where perhaps the mouth of an elephantine baby would be, directly at Bron, who must make a DC 10 Reflex save to avoid them (failure causes an immediate 2 points of damage as the caustic bubbles burn on Bron's skin).

BELOW: The being that crawls out of the pit looks human enough, excepting perhaps that his eyes seem to shine too brightly in the torchlight, but there is something about him that makes Bill doubt his humanity. "Now we must rescue my brothers," he says, and Bill notes that his teeth seem a little too sharp to be natural. The man is pale and thin, and there is something sly about the way he glances at you.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

Does Abram Cove notice these inhuman differences?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GlassEye wrote:Does Abram Cove notice these inhuman differences?
I would imagine so.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Why were you in that hole?" Balin says to the person as they ascend the pole. Tarpy pipes in, "and do you mean us any harm?"

"Abram Cove and Bill," Balin calls them out, "what do make of all this?"

OOC... Both characters will try to detect if the humanoid is not telling them the truth. You can roll for them Raven :)
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

ABOVE: Badr Balik scrambles to his feet next to the hole as one of the women ascends the ladder. He draws his dagger in a gallant effort to provide some sort of protection as they climb up. "Careful now. Can't tell quite where that giant, demon-baby is lurking."

BELOW: Abram Cove is tired of things attacking them and killing them. Zoranthus, Milo, Robin, Rogett, Randow, and who knows how many of the others were dead now. So when he sees those strange teeth and that sly little smile that says to him 'I know something you don't and you're my mark' Abram doesn't wait to hear the answers to Balin's questions (after all, if the bee larvae/man-thing meant them ill he wouldn't admit it) and he chops at the creature's back with the iron axe. "I don't trust him," he says in response to Balin.

Abram vs. Strange PRisoner (1d20+2=18)
Axe dmg (1d6+2=8)
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Laughing out loud at Abram Cove's attack on the man-thing, Balin turns to him and says, "I totally agree! I am tired of every room and its occupants being a death trap for us. We need to attack on sight and maybe than we can survive this hell hole. May I suggest that when we are done here that we set it ablaze."
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

"I'll pass on the Curwen Farms beef BBQ," says Abram Cove. "But a nice little bonfire sounds like a good idea."
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ABOVE: Still waiting on Abram's save.

BELOW: "The old man....he put us here...." the pale, naked man says. Then Abram neatly answers the question, cleaving the being from head to naval. There is surprisingly little blood. The pale, thin, naked man falls to the tiles, and a moan goes up from the other inhabited oubliettes. Whether it is despair, hunger, or both is difficult to determine.
SoBH pbp:

GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

Raven_Crowking wrote:ABOVE: Still waiting on Abram's save.
Did you mean 'Bron' here?
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: 1d20=11

Whew!

IC:

Bron heroically leaps out fo the way, dodging and weaving, the fatal strike whizzing past him, scraping against his armor but doing no harm.

"That was too close!"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Yes, I did mean Bron. :oops:

The iridescent bubbles strike the floor, dissolving a patch of floor boards and creating a 3-foot diameter hole to the floor below.
SoBH pbp:

GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

ABOVE: Badr Balik clutches his dagger in hand and peers around the room trying to determine where the giant demon-baby is. He really doesn't want to be anywhere near it and is willing to let Bron handle it. If he sees a chance, though, he rise from his squatting position and move to help.

BELOW: Abram Cove peers at the corpse. He's seen dead men too often in the past day and this one just looks wrong even in death. "So, now what do we do? We don't want those things getting loose and they might not climb up so readily now that they've sensed we killed the first one."
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Looking at Bill and Abram Cove, Balins speaks. "Lets just get out if here. When we meet up with the others we can best make out minds up as to what to do next. Our numbers are too small now. Also, it seems like every room we went in and every creature we came across wanted to or did cause us harm. I say it is time to go. We gathered enough information about the Curwens already. We know they are bad and whatever the heck they are doing here....is just wrong! Let's get out, meet up with the others and go from there."
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Bill shrugs. "I suppose so. Maybe the best we can hope is to destroy everything." Thinking a bit more, Bill calls down into another of the pits.: "So, that was for pretending to be human. What are you,foul things?"

Above:
Godwin swings at theair, trying to down the invisible baby (it's still alive?)
[1d20-1]=10
[1d6-1]=2
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

Abram Cove nods slowly as he mulls over the options. "Okay. That was the plan we decided on earlier. Don't see a whole lot of reason to change it, I guess."
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Pratel speaks out. "Well now...let's go and get out of here." Leaving the room and the rest of the dark underground behind them, Balin and Tarpy head for the surface.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sorry for the prolonged absence. There may be a few more of those over the summer as deadlines and camping get in the way.

---

BELOW: The other things in their hexagonal cells hiss and beg to be released. I am assuming that you simply leave them there as you make for the surface.

ABOVE: I started waiting hoping for fireinthedust to decide what Bron does, but at the moment I am going to assume that he is too stunned to take any action.

Godwin swings and hits, drawing (visible) blood and a squeal of anger. The invisible infant has taken 5 points of damage total at this point. It slaps at Godwin, rolling a 17 + 2 (and it rolls 1d24 for this attack), doing 1d6 damage: 6 points!

Unless Godwin has a store of hit points much greater than expected, or unless you have levelled up, Godwin flies through the air and hits the attic wall with lethal force.
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...Yes, we left the other beast hissing within their cells and made our way to the surface. Hopefully to meet up with the others.
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

BELOW: Abram Cove doesn't seem happy to be leaving the underground but looks to Bill, Balin, and Pratel and realizes the sense of it with their diminished numbers. Though if he had a moment alone at that altar... He winds his way through the dim tunnels (recognizing a need to find another torch or a lamp of some sort) so that the group can begin the torturous assent.

ABOVE: "Godwin!" screams Badr Balik as he sees his only friend battered to death by the demon-baby. Furious, he clutches his dagger and rushes forward to where poor Godwin was previously standing. "Brom! Get your backside in gear! Aelfwyn, get that fairy sword of yours moving! Arvandra, see if Godwin still breathes!" Once he is close enough or as close as he can get when fighting and invisible, malformed baby of gigantic proportions he swings wildly with his dagger hoping to hit something.

Badr attack: 1d20=17, 1d4=1
drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Above: Godwin does, indeed, collapse in a wrecked, dead heap.

Below: Bill delays, hoping to get an answer from the beings in the holes. "What are you? What is this place? Answer truly or I will end you all!"
GlassEye
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by GlassEye »

BELOW: When Abram Cove sees that Bill isn't done with his questioning he stops and waits.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"Pitiful, pitiful things," a voice comes up from below. "Pity us, and let us go free."

You notice that the one you slew is now beginning to get up again.
SoBH pbp:

drpete
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by drpete »

Seeing the creature we "slew" getting back up, Bill calls to the others "get it back in the pit!"

If it's not moving much, yet, Bill will push it into its pit. If it's moving enough to be dangerous, he will attack.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”