The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Skyscraper wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:Your recollection may be correct, but your current disapproval is 2.
Okay. I take it that you are tracking Sufferus' disapproval, so I will stop doing that myself then.
There are reasons related to the adventure why your disapproval is back down to 2 at this point.....trust me.

In any event, Maledict does not eviscerate the zombie, unless he wants to spend 2 points of Luck to do so? Let me know, and then I will finish the round with the zombies' actions, and get to the next one.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:Your recollection may be correct, but your current disapproval is 2.
Okay. I take it that you are tracking Sufferus' disapproval, so I will stop doing that myself then.
There are reasons related to the adventure why your disapproval is back down to 2 at this point.....trust me.
Sure.

A hint about that from the outset would have helped me along a bit, as I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, went to re-read the rules about disapproval, started to read through the threads and got discouraged... For the next time... Save me 15 minutes of reading please :)
In any event, Maledict does not eviscerate the zombie, unless he wants to spend 2 points of Luck to do so? Let me know, and then I will finish the round with the zombies' actions, and get to the next one.
No, he doesn't spend luck.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Very well then, two of the un-dead dwarves face you, and they target Maledict and Yoros. Each makes two attacks with its claws, doing 1d3+3 on a hit. Against Yoros: both attacks are 9 + 4 for 13. Against Maledict, 13 + 4 and 12 + 4 for 17 and 16 repectively. Maledict's AC is 16, so both attacks hit for a total of 10 damage. Worse, the un-dead dwarf which has attacked Maledict is still holding on with both claws.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

New Initiatives?

Yoros: 11+3 = 14

Han: 7+1 = 8

Yoros would like to attack the one in front of him with his hammer, but swing to break the grip on Maledict as his Deed (no damage to that un-Dwarfed dead).

Attack: Ug! 2+1 = 3 [The "1" was the Deed die, btw]

Han stays on guard and on watch; if anything goes for him or the bodies, he strikes with his dagger.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict init 1d20 + 3 = 20

I assume that Maledict cannot use his two-handed sword in close quarters. What he does is grab for his butcher's cleaver that he has at his belt, and uses that to try to hit the zombie.

My intention is for Maledict to keep holding on to his sword with one hand - it's a pretty darn important item to him. Let me know if you think that's a problem in the circumstances. The sword is perhaps somehow entangled in the wrestling bodies? If he can't manage to hold on, he of course drops it, trying to save his life.

The deed attempt is a headbutt to wring free of the zombie's grasp.

cleaver attack 1d20 + 1d6 + 2 = 10 + 2 (deed misses) + 2 = 14
Dmg = 9

Sufferus init 1d20 + 3 = 11

Sufferus looks at the room full of zombies and sees Maledict with a zombie grabbing at him. He turns to see Han idly standing nearby. "Do you plan on helping or is physical exertion out of the question for you?", he asks with an expression that one could see on a grandmother offering tea and cookies.

Sufferus casts protection from good (reversed protection from evil; it is my understanding of the reading of the spell that "evil" relates to stuff that is opposite the cleric's religion; while good relates to stuff that is not opposite, such as undead. If I'm wrong, you can simply cancel this action for this round.)

spell check = 1d20 + 5 = 24
Result (switch out evil for good): 24-27 In relation to evil effects, evil creatures, and anything else unholy to the cleric’s faith, the cleric and all allies within a 20’ radius receive a +2 bonus to saving throws against evil creatures, enemy attack rolls against them suffer a -2 penalty, and damage suffered from evil sources is reduced by 2 points per die (minimum damage 1 point per die).

Duration: 4 turns.

So hopefully Sufferus and his three allies are somewhat protected from the zombies' attacks.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Casting a reversed spell reduces the Action Die; would you like to reroll that using 1d16?
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Ok, 1d16 = 16 (What can I say!) + 5 = 21

(good instead of evil) 20-23 In relation to evil effects, evil creatures, and anything else unholy to the cleric’s faith, the cleric and all
allies within a 10’ radius receive a +1 bonus to saving throws against evil creatures, enemy attack rolls
against them suffer a -1 penalty, and damage suffered from evil sources is reduced by 1 point per die
(minimum damage 1 point per die).

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Maledict is luckily able to act before the un-dead dwarf - cleaving the thing's skull so that it releases him and drops. The other dwarf attacks Yoros, and the fallen dwarf is replaced by one attacking Maledict again.

Against Yoros: 11 + 4 = 15, 15 + 4 = 19. That's a single hit for 1d3+3 = 4 points of damage.

Against Maledict: 14 + 4 = 18, 7 + 4 = 11. That's a single hit, for 5 points of damage.

Yoros swings and misses, presumably against the dwarf attacking him now that Maledict is no longer grasped. Brother Sufferus' spell then goes off, affording you some additional protection.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

New Initiatives?

Yoros = 17
Han = 12

Yoros swings at the thing in front of him, and should it fall his follow through will cause it to fall against those behind it, perhaps slowing them down a step or three...

Atk 19 + 6 + 1 = 26! Damage = 12! (Yowsa - he comes back swinging!)

Han [...well, here's a point: I'm picturing three guys crammed in a short passage with zombies attacking them. Which means it's no good for Han to wade in, and no good for him to used ranged attacks and risk hitting allies. If I am picturing things wrongly, please let me know] continues to lay in wait to pounce on any un-dead that might get past the others and to keep watch for anyone coming from beyond the group... And to suffer the disapproving gaze of Sufferus.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Init Maledict = 18

His intention is to put the cleaver back at his belt and swing at the thing with his sword and push all the zombies back into the room to close the door (deed). Let me know if this is too much in a round. If so, he drops the cleaver (even if it hurts... the only thing he brought from his past...)

atck 1d20 +1d6 + 4 = 19 (crit!) + 3 (deed works somewhat?) + 4 = 26
dmg = 1d10 + 3 + 3 = 15
Crit result = 1d20 + 2 = 11 : Strike reduces face to formless mass of flesh and bone fragments. +2d12 damage and trouble making hard consonants
Additional damage 2d12 = 2 (can't crit every time it seems... BUT: the zombie is now unable to make hard consonants, so I'm good)

Init Sufferus = 8

He casts a disapproving gaze towards Han. "Who invited you in this party again?", he asks, all smiles, a bit like an aunt inquiring about a weird guest in a wedding, unsure whether he's on the side of the bride or groom.

Keeping his stare fixed on the thief, he then motions his hands in large circles in the air for no reason other than for the show - but no one knows that - before making a prayer to heal Maledict.

(not sure how Yoros is doing, but Maledict is certainly starting to smell like dead dwarf. Gnomeboy, you can keep me updated when your PCs are injured with in-game descriptions, so that Sufferus can react.)

Heal check 1d20 + 5 = 20
2d12 healing = 1+ 3 = 4

(I haven't applied the healing yet, waiting for confirmation that it works)

Once the healing is accomplished, Sufferus raises his shaved eyebrows in a short series of repetitions at Han.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Skyscraper wrote:...can keep me updated when your PCs are injured with in-game descriptions, so that Sufferus can react...
Gotcha. Yoros has a few nails left that he can be tougher than, before he needs to call upon the powers of the Cleric.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Yoros and Maledict each drop their opponent before the un-dead dwarves can act. The opportunity allows the door to be pushed shut quickly. However, will it stay that way? You can hear the bodies being dragged away so that more un-dead can reach the door to force it open once more......

Brother Sufferus heals Maledict.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yoros' init: 15
Han's init: 6

Yoros will slam the door shut and hold it shut as best he can.

Han will leap over our allies' bodies, leap over any un-dead bodies, crying "Lemme through! Lemme though!" and will act to lock the previously unlocked door...

"pick" lock: 26

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The door shudders just as the lockbolt slides home.

(2 XP each)
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Sufferus puts his hand on Han's shoulder. "Well done!", he says in an over-the-top kind of encouragement.

"I suggest we try another door", says Maledict very seriously.

If everyone agrees, Maledict leads everyone to the next door in the corridor and waits for Han to do his stuff.

Sufferus heals Maledict again.

Heal check 1d20 + 5 = 1 (!) + 5

Should I let you tell me what the consequence is RC?
Last edited by Skyscraper on Wed May 28, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The consequence is that the roll fails.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Han(d) will listen at whatever door he is lead to...

Assuming silence and no stench, Han will test the lock, and if locked, unlock it: 17

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:The consequence is that the roll fails.
No disapproval?

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

None. It is almost as though your disapproval has reset due to the passage of time.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:None. It is almost as though your disapproval has reset due to the passage of time.
But I rolled a 1... Even if it is reset... Do I not suffer disapproval still?

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sorry; if you rolled a "1" disapproval still applies. I thought you had rolled higher.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Sorry; if you rolled a "1" disapproval still applies. I thought you had rolled higher.
Thus my initial question: do you wish that I roll on the table, or do you wish to apply the consequence of disapproval yourself?

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sorry; a lot on my plate.

Please roll yourself. In any event, your disapproval carries a tinge of your deity not having heard from you in so long....
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

disapproval 1d4 = 2
The cleric must pray for forgiveness immediately. He must spend at least one hour in prayer, beginning as
soon as he is able (i.e., if he is in combat, he can wait until the danger is over). Failure to finish the full hour
of prayers within the next 120 minutes is looked upon unfavorably; he incurs a -1 penalty to all spell checks
until he completes the full hour.
Sufferus throws himself to his knees and takes out his whip.

"I have displeased the Maimed One", he yells out. "I must atone for my sins, for I have not paid enough attention to Him."

And, flaying himself along the way, he accompanies everyone on his knees as they move along the dungeon, interrupting his prayers only if his life is in danger (or perhaps his friends'). He whips himself as he does so, asking for forgiveness.

I'll assume that he takes 1d7+1 damage = 8 for the duration of the supplications. Which is like, half his hit points lol

I apply the damage immediately. Let me know if The Maimed One accepts that he heals himself after that one hour or more of suffering, or if he must let his wounds heal naturally.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Your disapproval is back down to 1 at the end of your flagellation.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”