The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: The Revelation of Mulmo PBP - WARNING SPOILERS

Post by Skyscraper »

Brother Sufferus has a moment of nostalgia. So many years he passed, tortured by one who would become his mentor.

He cannot help but linger, walking along the rack, touching it with his hands, breathing quickly as he does.

After a few minutes, he exits the room, with some effort. "Shall we try the smelly one?"

He nods to Maledict to open the door, and the knight does so if it's not locked.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

That door is locked.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Han guards his breathing as best he can, breathing into his sleeve as much as possible, while working the tools of his 'trade'...

9+9 = 18
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

He easily unlocks the door.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Breathing through the collar of his tunic, Han opens the door and peers inside.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Opening the door releases a terrible stench - Han must make a DC 10 Fort save.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Opening the door releases a terrible stench - Han must make a DC 10 Fort save.
17+2 = 19

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The stench is terrible....it could easily have made Hans lose a round due to sheer nausea, but it does not. The hairy dwarves in workmen's clothing who push to get out of the door seem to be long dead; their stench is abominable. Roll for initiative.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Maledict 1d20 + 3 = 5
Sufferus 1d20 + 3 = 13
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Only Han needs to worry about the save, with the first air coming from the room.

Initiative and actions, please.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Only Han needs to worry about the save, with the first air coming from the room.

Initiative and actions, please.
Sure, you asked for initiative rolls, the above are that.

As for actions, I guess this is pretty dependent on whether or not my PCs go first (which is far from a given considering their init results. I.e. if there are zombies in the corridor, it'll be different than if they act first and they are all in the room.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Initiatives
Yoros: 18+4 = 22
Han: 20+1 = 21

Yoros drops the Dwarf, draws his warhammer, waits for either Han to fall back or for the dwarven things to push forward, and conks the first one on the head (Deed: to cause the body to fall in such a way as to block the doorway and slow down those coming out):
14 + 6 + 1 = 21 -- damage: 12

Han falls back, protecting the body of our friend that Yoros dropped, draws a dagger from his belt, and if any dwarven things get near him, stabs at them:
4 + 2 = 6

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Yoros drops the dwarf, draws his warhammer, and, as Han drops back, strikes the first of the un-dead dwarves, knocking it prone (but not quite un-killing it) in the doorway. This has the desired effect, blocking the door for moments while the dwarf struggles upward, jamming those behind it. It grabs at Yoros with its broken nails, sharp as claws (7 + 4 = 11) as it rises, and then pushes forward.

(Yoros may have a free attack, and then on to round 2)

(I am willing to accept conditional actions, but I am not going to drag rounds out into individual posts as each person goes during the round; it would take far too long. This once, those who have not stated actions may do so at the end of the round.)
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Assuming Yoros uses the same Deed Die result for the 2nd attack, he totals a 16 to hit (and 10 damage). Otherwise, 13 to hit (7 damage).

My intent with Han, unless the situation changes, is that he is protecting the bodies of those we're here to save. Not knowing what these things are intent on, he doesn't want to see them scoop up our friends and turn them into something like themselves, if that makes sense.

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

(Gotcha RC)

Maledict takes a lunge at the door, intent on forcing it closed (does it open towards the corridor?)

1d20 + 1d6 = 4 + 3 = 7

Seems like he misses either way.

Holding his whip before him, Sufferus has the intent of turning or commanding the undead into obedience (how do you see turn undead with respect to the chaotic Maimed One? Pain and torture are fine for him but where do undead stand? I would think that undead remain an abomination because death should not be thwarted, but I'll let you call the shot.)

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

(Part 2 ... had the problem of not being able to post entire message again)

If turning or commanding works:

turn undead result = 14.
He turns 1d3 + 4 creatures = 5 creatures of 1 HD at most (no 2 HD or more powerful creatures are affected.)

If this clears the door and he's able to, Sufferus will close the door. If it doesn't, he doesn't do anything else.

If turning or commanding doesnt work, too bad for him, we'll see what he does next round.

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

If either Maledict or Sufferus manage to close the door, Sufferus asks politely "Han, would you be so kind as to lock this door?" with a smile that looks more like a wolf's maw about to close on its prey.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sorry about the long delay.

The fallen un-dead dwarf blocks the doorway, preventing it from being closed. Then the others pull it out of the way without any difficulty, throwing it into the room behind them with enormous strength as they surge out of the door. Yoros' action has bought you a round free of attacks, but there are now two of the un-dead within striking range for the next round, their clawed hands outstretched. It seems likely that, if you can take care of two each round, you can keep them bottlenecked in the room and prevent more than that from facing you at any one time. I will assume that you are looking for opportunities to close the door (which does open outward) should they arise, even if you did not succeed in the first attempt.

Chaotic clerics cannot Turn the un-dead in DCC, in general, and Sufferus has no effect.

On to round 2.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Do you require a new init roll each round or just on the first round?<
Here they are just in case:

Init Maledict = 21
Init Sufferus = 18

Maledict tries to eviscerate one zombie and tackle the door closed (deed):
1d20 + 1d6 + 4 = 4+2+4 = 10
Dmg = 12

Sufferus casts a scorching ray, calling upon the power of the Maimed One to burn the zombies.
1d20 + 3 (including -2 penalty) = 6 (failure)

(Sufferus rolled a 3, and I note his current disapproval level at 2 in the post where I track this. I'm surprised because we haven't slept since this game began about three decades ago. But I don't feel like reading through three decades of posts to see if I forgot to note a failed spell, so I'll stick with my notes; and I'll thrive to take good note of any failed spell checks in the future. Disapproval up to 3 now.)

Maledict looks at his other two companions, with something akin to an apologetic look.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I do prefer a new initiative each round....combat is more chaotic that way.

FYI, Sufferus's Disapproval was at 1, so is currently at 2.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I do prefer a new initiative each round....combat is more chaotic that way.

FYI, Sufferus's Disapproval was at 1, so is currently at 2.
It was? Why did I have a 2 written down then? Oh well, DM is always right ;)

(Edit: I recall having missed a heal check - this is where my first disapproval stems from I believe. I'll keep my disapproval at 3 instead of 2 because my recollection is pretty clear on that one - unless you really want for me to keep a single disapproval point.)

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Your recollection may be correct, but your current disapproval is 2.
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yoros' init = 16
Han's init = 2

Yoros will again try to cause one to stumble and impede any others from advancing.
Attack: Warhammer 2+4 = 6 ~blerg~

Han will continue to stand by for the moment, dagger in hand to protect the bodies of those we're here to revive. He'll also keep half an eye on whether or not anyone is coming from the other directions.

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Your recollection may be correct, but your current disapproval is 2.
Okay. I take it that you are tracking Sufferus' disapproval, so I will stop doing that myself then.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Skyscraper wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:Your recollection may be correct, but your current disapproval is 2.
Okay. I take it that you are tracking Sufferus' disapproval, so I will stop doing that myself then.
There are reasons related to the adventure why your disapproval is back down to 2 at this point.....trust me.

In any event, Maledict does not eviscerate the zombie, unless he wants to spend 2 points of Luck to do so? Let me know, and then I will finish the round with the zombies' actions, and get to the next one.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”