Revelation of Mulmo PbP?

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Revelation of Mulmo PbP?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Thanks. Creating items in DCC is a joy.

Back in Ye Ancient Days of the early 80's, a real part of the joy of designing D&D adventures was creating unique and interesting items. I love that DCC has gone this route.

Wait until you discover what lies within the Elf Hill........ :twisted: :shock: :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Another chorus of praise for the special treasures. I think there's enough there for an article in Crawl, really.

A note about my ability to post: I'm not able to access the forum from work, so it'll be 4pm Eastern (at the earliest) that you guys will hear from me Mon-Fri. I'll try to keep up, though.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Advance notice: I'll be on vacation from Aug 9 to August 26 and will probably not post during that time.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

So, I've rolled up a cleric. Again had some fun coming up with the character concept. He and Maledict will make a nice couple I'm sure :)

Here is the link to Brother Sufferus

I'll add him to my sig when he's completed.

RC, is the offer for one or two special item(s) still good for new characters? Brother Sufferus is a minimalist, to say the least :) I imagine him more as a monk than a cleric, walking barefoot with an old coarse wool robe, a walking stick and his personal whip that he uses on himself daily. (Maybe that explains why he has so few hit points... I really rolled badly my d8s considering that he started with 4 HPs at level 0 and he ended up with 16, lol. I love it.) He probably won't keep any items he finds, except ones of his faith or ones that has significance to his current undertaking that he may keep temporarily. I don't see him as wearing any armor either, that woolen robe, patched and holed, is all he has.

So, for item(s), here are ideas:

1) a holy symbol or other item of the Maimed One that grants protection, sort of an armor of faith of some kind, since the Maimed God does not allow others to injure his protégé, only through self-mutilation should the hurt come :). Another option would be for the armor to grant damage reduction (so that he can whip himself harder without taking hit point damage, lol)
2) The robe itself. Looks like the simplest garment, but when so clothed, I know my faith will protect me. I.e. maybe the robe itself is not magical, but wearing the sanstified robe given to me by my order, allows my faith to be channeled and protect me. I actually kind of like that even better than option 1.
3) a holy weapon of some type, perhaps his whip. I also like the 2nd level spell Stinging Stone, since it allows Brother Sufferus to throw pain at others in the form of spiders, so perhaps my walking stick could be a magical staff-sling?

I'm pretty open to anything but would prefer something along the lines of his faith and background. Or maybe even something not aligned with his god, which would cause him inner turmoil as he wonders if he should use it eveytime he needs to.

Question: the Stinging Stone spell doesn't say what the spider's poison's effects are. Is that something that only the judge will know? I'm fine with it either way and it won't change my selecting the spell, since I like the flavor.

Lastly, how did Brother Sufferus come to be there? I initially had an idea that Brother Sufferus would secretly be looking for the magic font to actually destroy it, since death is liberation and you don't want to work against that, but that's a tough call because it works against what other players' PCs are looking to achieve (including my own Maledict) so I let that go.

Here is my proposition for his inclusion into the game: he's looking for the font because he believes that our dwarf friend has not atoned for his sins yet (he did something before dying that he should not have) and he must be brought back to convert to the One True Way. Sufferus must consequently revive him and then convert him, or die trying. Of course, conversion to the Maimed One means a lot of pain...

He might know everyone already, and caught up to them in the inner garden before they climb the tower, meeting Hamun Ry and all the other departing characters on their way out. (The unfaithful!)

Let me know if anything in the above, or in my character, is not appropriate or should be changed for any reason. I'm very open to changing for the good of this game.

Edit: p.s.: i chose the spells for brother sufferus, to take those that seemed more aligned with the flavor of the god. I did not pick cure poison/disease, or resist cold/heat, or remove ability loss (can't remember the name) for example, as i see those as being almost contrary to his ethos. However, if you prefer that i roll randomly, let me know.
Last edited by Skyscraper on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

Here's the corrected Travic:

Travič (trav-itch)

(Alchemist) Neutral Thief, Strength 10, Agility 16, Stamina 9, Personality 12, Intelligence 15, Luck 13, AC 14 (Leather), HP 19

Backstab +3
Sneak Silently 2 (10)
Hide In Shadows 2 (9)
Pick Pocket 2 (9)
Climb Sheer Surfaces 2 (10)
Pick Lock 2 (9)
Find Trap 1 (8)
Disable Trap 2 (9)
Forge Document 2 (10)
Disguise Self 0 (2)
Read Languages 1 (4)
Handle Poison +2
Cast From Scroll (d14 + 1)

His former occupation (Alchemist) and birth augur (Survived a spider bite: Saving throws against poison), plus deciding to very loosely base him on a co-worker that's fascinated with spiders, snakes, poisonous centipedes & the like, led me to this:

Travič has been obsessed with venom, poisons, & toxins for as long as he can recall. He's not an assassin; he's simply a Thief that's more than prepared to defend himself -- as a rule he prefers the non-lethal varieties, and views them as no more insidious than a warrior's weapons or a wizard's attack spells. His dedication to his craft has prompted him to regularly ingest minute doses himself in an effort to build up immunity to their dire effects.

Sticking with the previous players want to use non-lethal poisons, I'll take 4 asp, 4 black widow and 3 centipede doses of poison.
In addition to the poisons mentioned earlier, you have a dagger that is finely balanced with a receptacle for poison. Although not magical, you need only worry about poisoning yourself when you refill the three-dose chamber, and the blade gains a +2 non-magical bonus when thrown due to its exceptional balance.

You also have managed to acquire the Banepicks, tools of mixed blessing. They can be used to pick locks and disable traps automatically (no roll), but each time they are so used, the user takes 1d3 points of damage to a random ability score. If three points are taken, one is permanent. The Banepicks may be useful in a pinch, but they are not for everyday use!
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

And there I thought we were rid of the weird letter that doesn't exist on my keyboard ;)

marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

Or on mine. I just cut & pasted that.
marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

I just rolled up a new thief. Not the same as the previous, actually the stats are the same or less.

I deleted the poisons and poison dagger.

So could I have some other item[s]?

Also, does the +1 to skill checks from his luck roll add to backstab? It's an attack, but also a thief skill.

Fred
(Weaver) Neutral Thief, Strength 10, Agility 13, Stamina 11, Personality 11, Intelligence 15, Luck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25

Luck Die d6
Backstab 3
Sneak Silently 8+1+1
Hide In Shadows 7+1+1
Pick Pocket 8+1+1
Climb Sheer Surfaces 8+1+1
Pick Lock 7+1+1
Find Trap 7+1+1
Disable Trap 7+1+1
Forge Document 8+1+1
Disguise Self 2+1
Read Languages 3+1+1
Handle Poison +2+1
Cast From Scroll d14 + 1+1

His former occupation (Weaver) and birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills).

You also have managed to acquire the Banepicks, tools of mixed blessing. They can be used to pick locks and disable traps automatically (no roll), but each time they are so used, the user takes 1d3 points of damage to a random ability score. If three points are taken, one is permanent. The Banepicks may be useful in a pinch, but they are not for everyday use!
marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

For 'other items' I was thinking he could have a 'backpack of junk'. Not magical items, or even a magical backpack, but a pack with assorted items of various weights and sizes. Small sizes of course, since ther are in the pack. Items that could be used to swap for items being lifted/pilfered. [a la Indiana Jones]. Bags of sand, rocks, cheap glass balls, things like that.

Also some salt, flunt & steel, marbles, rope & grapple.

I haven't seen any weapons listed on the previous character, so I'd like to have a normal shortsword, shield and sling & bullets/stones.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Where do the banepicks come from? Did RC give that out to Travic? ('xcuse the accent on the name... ;) )

marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

Skyscraper wrote:Where do the banepicks come from? Did RC give that out to Travic? ('xcuse the accent on the name... ;) )
Yes. Banepricks, a balanced throwing dagger that had a poison compartment and 2d6 doses of poison.

I could see the Banepricks being in character. I'm picturing a burgler rather than a robber.
Sneak & stealth when possibel, but able to defend himself when necessary. Thus the short sword rather than the long sword.
A sling, to break a window, rather than a crossbow.
Small, light, portable weapons.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

marshal kt wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:Where do the banepicks come from? Did RC give that out to Travic? ('xcuse the accent on the name... ;) )
Yes.
T'was what i thought. Smelled like an RC-ism.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

marshal kt wrote:Or on mine. I just cut & pasted that.
+1d30.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

[quote="Skyscraper"So, for item(s), here are ideas:

1) a holy symbol or other item of the Maimed One that grants protection, sort of an armor of faith of some kind, since the Maimed God does not allow others to injure his protégé, only through self-mutilation should the hurt come :). Another option would be for the armor to grant damage reduction (so that he can whip himself harder without taking hit point damage, lol)[/quote]

The Scourge of the Maimed One does 1d7 damage and has a 10' reach. The wielder may use it as a holy symbol if he is a cleric of the Maimed One, and he may scourge himself to fuel his spells (effectively, a limited form of clerical spellburn, wherein the cleric chooses an ability score, does 1d7 damage, and gains that bonus to his spell; the cleric does not get to choose how much damage is done, and there may be secondary effects [as with normal spellburn]). In addition, and not counting towards spellburn, the cleric may choose to scourge himself for 1d7 damage, and force any single creature within 30' to take the same damage automatically (no save). Damage done by this weapon cannot be healed magically, and attempts to do so are considered sinful by the Maimed One. Finally, the cleric may attempt a Woeful Strike with the Scourge 3 times each day. However, each strike causes the cleric to take 1 point of Strength, Agility, or Stamina damage (roll randomly) as his pain fuels the Scourge.
2) The robe itself. Looks like the simplest garment, but when so clothed, I know my faith will protect me. I.e. maybe the robe itself is not magical, but wearing the sanstified robe given to me by my order, allows my faith to be channeled and protect me. I actually kind of like that even better than option 1.
Robe of the Faith: Usable only by a cleric or champion of the Maimed One, this robe grants a +2 bonus to AC so long as the wearer is injured in some fashion. If the wearer is injured up to half his hit points or more, the bonus is doubled to +4.
3) a holy weapon of some type, perhaps his whip. I also like the 2nd level spell Stinging Stone, since it allows Brother Sufferus to throw pain at others in the form of spiders, so perhaps my walking stick could be a magical staff-sling?
Let me think about this one.
Question: the Stinging Stone spell doesn't say what the spider's poison's effects are. Is that something that only the judge will know? I'm fine with it either way and it won't change my selecting the spell, since I like the flavor.
And this one.
Lastly, how did Brother Sufferus come to be there? I initially had an idea that Brother Sufferus would secretly be looking for the magic font to actually destroy it, since death is liberation and you don't want to work against that, but that's a tough call because it works against what other players' PCs are looking to achieve (including my own Maledict) so I let that go.
And this one.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

marshal kt wrote:For 'other items' I was thinking he could have a 'backpack of junk'. Not magical items, or even a magical backpack, but a pack with assorted items of various weights and sizes. Small sizes of course, since ther are in the pack. Items that could be used to swap for items being lifted/pilfered. [a la Indiana Jones]. Bags of sand, rocks, cheap glass balls, things like that.

Also some salt, flunt & steel, marbles, rope & grapple.

I haven't seen any weapons listed on the previous character, so I'd like to have a normal shortsword, shield and sling & bullets/stones.
That's fine.
SoBH pbp:

marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
+1d30.

Am I understanding correctly you want a 1d30 roll?
Since I don't have a true d30, I'm rolling using the d6 & d10 method.
d6 = 1, d10 =3, so a 3.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

marshal kt wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:
+1d30.

Am I understanding correctly you want a 1d30 roll?
Since I don't have a true d30, I'm rolling using the d6 & d10 method.
d6 = 1, d10 =3, so a 3.
No, no, that is just a way of saying "Me too!!!!" I also cut & paste the funny names.
SoBH pbp:

marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

Ah.. in that case. never mind. [said in the Roseanne Roseannadanna voice]
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

marshal kt wrote:Ah.. in that case. never mind. [said in the Roseanne Roseannadanna voice]
Ah, Gilda Radner, you are missed. :lol:
SoBH pbp:

marshal kt

Post by marshal kt »

So...onward...unless there's more to give my character. ;-)

Fred's initiative roll is 6 and posted in the other thread.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

I corrected Brother Sufferus' AC. I had copy-pasted the format from Maledict, Brother Sufferus has 11 AC (13 if damaged in some fasion, 15 if brought to 8 HPs or less) and not 16 as previously indicated. Which is fine, he's that kind of guy :)
Raven_Crowking wrote:
The Scourge of the Maimed One does 1d7 damage and has a 10' reach. The wielder may use it as a holy symbol if he is a cleric of the Maimed One, and he may scourge himself to fuel his spells (effectively, a limited form of clerical spellburn, wherein the cleric chooses an ability score, does 1d7 damage, and gains that bonus to his spell; the cleric does not get to choose how much damage is done, and there may be secondary effects [as with normal spellburn]). In addition, and not counting towards spellburn, the cleric may choose to scourge himself for 1d7 damage, and force any single creature within 30' to take the same damage automatically (no save). Damage done by this weapon cannot be healed magically, and attempts to do so are considered sinful by the Maimed One. Finally, the cleric may attempt a Woeful Strike with the Scourge 3 times each day. However, each strike causes the cleric to take 1 point of Strength, Agility, or Stamina damage (roll randomly) as his pain fuels the Scourge.
Haha, very cool. It's fortunate that Sufferus has above average physical stats. He's likely to dip in those rather frequently.

Question: what is a Woeful Strike?
Robe of the Faith: Usable only by a cleric or champion of the Maimed One, this robe grants a +2 bonus to AC so long as the wearer is injured in some fashion. If the wearer is injured up to half his hit points or more, the bonus is doubled to +4.
Does ability damage count towards increasing his AC? I assume yes since you didn't specify the type of damage, but please confirm as the second bonus requires hit point damage.
Let me think about this one.
I wasn't asking for all items, they were just ideas. I'm fine with the two you gave me, I find that they define the character very well. If you feel inspired, you can give out one more or add to one of the two already there... :) But I'm happy with what I have now.

Bother sufferus will still have an (ordinary) staff-sling, unless you don't allow this item, usable as a walking stick and usable to project stones, sometimes transformed into spiders. (I'll try to think about another type of insect or thing that could represent the pain of the Maimed One, projected with the spell Stinging Stone. Spiders kind of don't fit the flavor. Ideas anyone?)

Edit: Looking at the weapons for chaotic clerics, the sling doesn't appear to be a weapon of choice. I may pick something else, like darts or a bow.
Last edited by Skyscraper on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Skyscraper wrote:(I'll try to think about another type of insect or thing that could represent the pain of the Maimed One, projected with the spell Stinging Stone. Spiders kind of don't fit the flavor. Ideas anyone?)
If you accept, RC, I can propose a custom spell entitled Flames of Purification (yet to be defined) that Sufferus could use instead of Stinging Stone. It would fit the concept much better (and we have some designing to do anyway, since the spiders' stats are not provided - unless I missed them somehow). Or, if you prefer to design it yourself, i'll take it whatever form you propose it in. (Full trust in your talent!)

I'd probably myself look for some close inspiration towards Scorching Ray (the 2nd level wizard spell). In fact, we could take that latter spell as is, just touching it up to refine the flavor a bit towards a faith-inspired spell. (I say this without having even read it, at least not recently.)

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

RC, here are my propositions for pending questions regarding Sufferus. Let me know what you think.

1) Second level spell: cancel Stinging Stone and replace by second level wizard spell Scorching Ray (renamed "Flames of Purification"). Spell would be identical, except for flavor purposes.

2) Weapon: change sling for "darts of the maimed one". These are ordinary darts (i.e. not magical) that have a harpoon-type head. They do 1d4 HP damage as usual, but when they are removed they do 1 addititional HP of damage to the victim. I don't know if that will ever be relevant, it's just to have something along the lines of the god. In the end, Sufferus would carry his whip, the darts and his robe, plus very little else (he eats dry leaves...)

3) Other magical item: none. I'm fine with what you game me.

Let me know if you accept my proposition. If not, I'm fine with any other idea also, as usual.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

@Skyscraper: That sounds fine, but the spell is cast with a -2 penalty to the spell check (as clerical spells are by wizards).

This is where we are at....the insectoid humanoids put a pounding on FRED, who then manages to leap onto the rope and scream for help.

In the following round, there is set to be some flight, from my understanding. Initiative, please, gentles, as well as your actions.
SoBH pbp:

Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Raven_Crowking wrote:@Skyscraper: That sounds fine, but the spell is cast with a -2 penalty to the spell check (as clerical spells are by wizards).
Sounds good to me.
This is where we are at....the insectoid humanoids put a pounding on FRED, who then manages to leap onto the rope and scream for help.

In the following round, there is set to be some flight, from my understanding. Initiative, please, gentles, as well as your actions.
Where is Sufferus? In terms of how many rounds away from combat, etc...

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”