The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by GnomeBoy »

Sveden wrote:/ooc If anyone would like to take over Portly Trim or Fritz's characters let me know. I feel odd having 5 PCs.
We can always leave some characters in town on our next foray...

I'm on the fence about it myself. I didn't expect to still have three. I am leaning toward Chendriss being my 'main' character, but I don't think he can afford to not bring a couple of 'bodyguards' along with him, since he's rather frail.

Hector wants to go back to the ruins with him, just to avenge Flavia (he assumes there is still an evil bug nest there).

Darrow is less will to 'join' in with the twisted wizard, but also wants to return and be sure the place is clear.

Hector and Darrow both want some kind of armor before they go back -- they almost have enough dough for some... Are there any 'quick jobs' they could pick up to possibly earn some more money? e.g., Is there room for a short 'side trek' type of thing, to help anyone in the party money-up before we get back to the Bones of Secret Hill?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc we've been back in town about a month give or take? Have you been including your 7 silver per week?
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:Chendris, your Patron teaches you the incantation to Read Magic. At least, you may attempt to learn it if you choose. By this time, your teeth have mostly all fallen out, and the palate is hardening above and also below on your mandible. It's very, very painful. You're also moving at -5'/round because of the leg issue, too. And, on your forehead, a strange mark has appeared. It's pentagonal in shape, with curvy rays that snake out from the vertices, and darkly purplish in color, like a birthmark, somewhat raised and puffy. It unnerves anyone who sees it, and your physical deformities are going to requiring hiding very soon, or you risk being killed or, perhaps worse, exiled to a leper colony.

Assuming you can learn Read Magic, what you do with that knowledge is up to you. But remember that he's sort of in a predicament. To save his sorry life, he called upon something ... not of this world ... or at least, outside of it. The price of that aid has been terrible for his physical form, but he lives. It might be possible to reverse, but it could take years of study, perhaps as yet undiscovered arcane secrets. And, all the while, he is now increasingly at risk from the random citizenry of Portsmouth, and especially the guards of the noble houses, because of how he looks. He is becoming more isolated with each passing day.
Have no fear, Chendriss began to cover himself almost from the moment he got back -- just to ward himself against the cold (he alone feels)! He's well hooded and wrapped up. His voice sounds a little funny, like he's talking through a coffee can or something, but there's not much to see.

As for learning Read Magic... I'm already booked up to my 4 -- can I learn more than that with study? Or do I have to wait until Level 2?

Also, do they have giant slabs of obsidian at Home Depot in town? Is it a type of rock that even exists in this area? I imagine that at least two weeks go by (he's got that much to heal, at any rate) and a significant chuck of that time is going into logistics of building an altar: getting materials, porting materials, construction, etc. That is, he is working out the plan, not doing it yet (unless there is a heckuva sale at that aforementioned Home Depot).

Chendriss is also going to need money to make all that happen. So he too would be looking for opportunities to 'earn' more gold...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Sveden wrote:/ooc we've been back in town about a month give or take? Have you been including your 7 silver per week?
I counted two weeks up so far. Wasn't sure what might be thrown at us... :twisted:

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc OK cool, my wizards just slotted up about 4 weeks of studying. Make sure to touch base before you head off to build your altar.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

You've never seen obsidian, so, no, it's not something you can just go get. :-) This will be a long term project. Ivory is easier to come by, there's a few elephants in the city for various labor tasks.

Chendris, you could, if you choose, write Read Magic in your spellbook, and share that with someone else. I'm not encouraging you all to "cheat" with your wizard spells, but if you roleplay it, I'm not going to stop you.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Also, things are quiet in the city for the most part, so you can take as long as you'd like.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hmm, did everybody lose interest at once?

Should I start a new thread?
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Mayhaps a new thread would be nice. Give us direction. Just don't call it "Black Altar: Fool's Gold"
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Nah, just work, life, and nice weather. Cathbad will go back into those fell lands with her friends, if she must, but she is going to do her best to stay the hell out of direct combat. She has seen what happened to the others, and she isn't all that tough. However, she will still be more than willing to partner with a warrior, using her Enlarge spell to lend effectiveness to someone else!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I guess I'm wondering what options we have...

Through the exploration there was talk of "coming back, but better equipped" -- and I'd kind of like to do that. We saw a lot of folks die in that exploration, and I can't imagine anyone's anxious to go back no better ready than they were the first time.

For example, if Hector just 'waits' another month, at 1 sp per day, he could finally afford some (leather) armor. Similarly for Darrow.

I might suggest something like the Party Like It's 999 table, out there on the interwebs -- but for extra gp, not xp (unless you like the idea of xp included there, beer). I don't know whether it fits the flavor of this town, and may not be exactly the kinds of things I imagine my character's getting up to... But they might if it meant some loot to help them along...

Other alternatives would be interesting, too. Tournaments, bar bets, um, anything really.

http://jrients.blogspot.com/2008/12/par ... s-999.html

P.S. -- is there any option for 'working out' and improving Strength? Hector has a 5 Str; not a big deal to me, but I'd think he knows he's weak, and would try to do something about it. He's certainly less stable mentally now than he was before the trip. He'll ask Chendriss is there is anything the alchemist knows for such improvement...

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

I would similarly like to get Tonunt and Fritz some leather armor.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Spending a few months is probably a wise idea. It takes time to study, to reflect, to get mentally psyched up for the next harrowing adventure. At the gaming table last night, in Barrowmaze, one of my players said something to the effect of "you know, if this was real life, we would all be [really] terrified at all this [stuff]!" :-) Yes. Yes, you would.

If Hector wants to increase his strength, he can quest for it. He could work in the markets lifting heavy stuff. Over a long enough time, he might gain a point. Going up to a 6 means a slightly less sucky modifier.

If y'all want to wait a month so you can get some leather armor, I'm fine with that. Or... you could inquire with Roberto Salazar's boss, Mr. Pollux. He might be willing to outfit another expedition, perhaps for other purposes.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:If Hector wants to increase his strength, he can quest for it. He could work in the markets lifting heavy stuff. Over a long enough time, he might gain a point. Going up to a 6 means a slightly less sucky modifier.
Yes, yes it surely would, wouldn't it... 8) Can we assume he's doing stuff like that and maybe around Christmas time this year, he can only have a -1 instead of a -2? :mrgreen:

beermotor wrote:If y'all want to wait a month so you can get some leather armor, I'm fine with that. Or... you could inquire with Roberto Salazar's boss, Mr. Pollux. He might be willing to outfit another expedition, perhaps for other purposes.
Darrow wants nothing to do with the man, and still assumes it was a set-up. Chendriss is not far from that same thinking, but has bigger fish to fry. Hector is falling under Chendriss' thrall...

Alright, gang! How long do we want to wait? I think we're assuming at least 28 days after we return... Do we want to make wish lists of things to buy, and see how long we can stand to wait before returning? :D

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

I think Orastes will stay back in town. Ill crunch some numbers get my PCs in order as soon as I can.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Okay, so what's the plan? Chendris is preparing to go back to the ruins, ostensibly to build an altar, but he lacks the required obsidian stone. Others are preparing to follow him for their own reasons. But maybe some detective work is in order for Senor Chendris first?

Up to y'all what you want to do. Portsmouth is a big, dusty, dirty place, full of whatever you could want. (Where whatever you want comes from is sometimes a bit of a mystery...)
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Trim is still trying to find out the secrets of his blade. Is there anyone he dare trust have examine it?
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Sveden wrote:Trim is still trying to find out the secrets of his blade. Is there anyone he dare trust have examine it?
I think you mean Fritz?

He'll need a sage. He can do some digging to find one, or seek out the only one he's currently aware of, Mr. Pollux, Roberto Salazar's employer... the guy who sent the group on the expedition to Bone Hill.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

I am hesitant to drive any action at the moment, since I'm going to be away from the forum for over a week, starting tomorrow.

I'm fine with whatever we do -- please don't let me stop you all from playing!

I've been assuming Chendriss has been spending lots of time researching how to get this altar built -- at least a month (so far) by what's been said here. If he's got to journey to a foreign land to gather what he needs, he'd do it. (Maybe that could explain my absence?)

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

beermotor wrote:
Sveden wrote:Trim is still trying to find out the secrets of his blade. Is there anyone he dare trust have examine it?
I think you mean Fritz?

He'll need a sage. He can do some digging to find one, or seek out the only one he's currently aware of, Mr. Pollux, Roberto Salazar's employer... the guy who sent the group on the expedition to Bone Hill.
/ooc Lulz. Yah. Fritz. Thought Fritz, typed Trim.

Fritz will spend some time around the curio markets, asking questions and spreading some copper(big spender) around until he's on the right track.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

A dark-skinned boy comes up to Fritz, begging. Fritz gives him a couple pennies and asks about a sage, and the boy says "Al-haragash! I will take you to him! 1 silver coin!"
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

beermotor wrote:A dark-skinned boy comes up to Fritz, begging. Fritz gives him a couple pennies and asks about a sage, and the boy says "Al-haragash! I will take you to him! 1 silver coin!"
Well well, aren't you a smart little boy! I will make you an offer, I will give you 5 more coppers for you to take me to Al-harahgash right now. If this wise man can help me, I will give you TWO silvers after our meeting. Do we have a deal?
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

He nods vigorously and grabs Fritz's hand, dragging him through the crowded alleyways between the stalls and shouting merchants. Deeper into the slums he goes, winding around and around in a serpentine fashion, until Fritz is quite lost.

They pass many vagrants and beggars, and occasionally a stronger, bigger, tougher person, who eyes them with disdain, possibly hatred. Fritz begins to feel rather unsafe. But, still the boy leads on...
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Fritz steels his face against weakness and hopes the protection of the Flame Blades will cover him in this part of the city.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

BTW, did we get paid for our expedition as promised, or not?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”