The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by beermotor »

Crimsontree wrote:Are both metal doors shut? If so, Portly Trim ties to open both of them. Are there any metal buttons on the inside of the room he is in?
Yes, both doors are shut. Both doors have handles, but they don't budge (at all). There are large squarish "buttons" adjacent to the handles of both door handles, on the walls. The buttons are probably 9 or 10 inches on each side. Beating on them did nothing.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:Thorin looks at Fosco. "Got on my back little friend." Fosco jumps on the back of the stocky dwarf. Thorin than hands him his weapon and torch. With the much added height Fosco now examines the ceiling. If anything even remotely looks nasty...Fosco will set it on fire.

Even standing on Thorin's shoulders, Fosco only goes up to about 7 feet. And, now he gets to make a reflex save, DC 10. (!)

The ceiling looks gross, but nothing is moving.
He was not standing on his shoulders but was seated on them. Even for a Hobbit standing on broad Dwarf shoulders would be very risky. Still need relfex roll?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

MrHemlocks wrote:
beermotor wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:Thorin looks at Fosco. "Got on my back little friend." Fosco jumps on the back of the stocky dwarf. Thorin than hands him his weapon and torch. With the much added height Fosco now examines the ceiling. If anything even remotely looks nasty...Fosco will set it on fire.

Even standing on Thorin's shoulders, Fosco only goes up to about 7 feet. And, now he gets to make a reflex save, DC 10. (!)

The ceiling looks gross, but nothing is moving.
He was not standing on his shoulders but was seated on them. Even for a Hobbit standing on broad Dwarf shoulders would be very risky. Still need relfex roll?
Okay, no reflex save is needed if he's just sitting on his shoulders, but they only come up to about 5.5 feet. The ceiling's about 10 feet high.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Getting off the shoulder's of the dwarf Fosco stands guard while Thorin looks for hidden doors. If none are found he will look at the other door...not the one which they entered.

ooc...Is there updated map to better my bearings? I love maps for they make it so much easier for me to get around. A picture is worth a thousand words... :wink:
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I agree about maps, and encourage you to make your own. :P

Come, this is supposed to be OLD SCHOOL, baby!
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

beermotor wrote:
Crimsontree wrote:Are both metal doors shut? If so, Portly Trim ties to open both of them. Are there any metal buttons on the inside of the room he is in?
Yes, both doors are shut. Both doors have handles, but they don't budge (at all). There are large squarish "buttons" adjacent to the handles of both door handles, on the walls. The buttons are probably 9 or 10 inches on each side. Beating on them did nothing.
Portly Trim shouts through the door closest to the rest of the group. "Perhaps we need to push the buttons on the inside & outside at the same time. Anyone on the outside want to try with me?"
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I'll let y'all work out what you're doing, just be as specific as possible for me with your actions... I won't assume anything.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

beermotor wrote:I agree about maps, and encourage you to make your own. :P

I find your descriptions of the rooms to be confusing. I've tried mapping from page 7 but I can't get a good picture of the rooms. I assumed the doors in the courtyard with the rusty ring was heading south into a structure but what I thought was right was described as left. I don't know if archways are in the middle of rooms, how far they are apart from the following archway, how long corridors or halls go into structures etc. We’re not sitting around a table & I personally find it hard to visualise, never mind map.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Getting off the shoulder's of the dwarf Fosco stands guard while Thorin looks for hidden doors. If none are found he will look at the other door. Not the one which they entered, but the metal door to the north.

After inspecting the north door and looking for hidden passages Thorin pounds and taps on the various walls. He is trying to determine the least thick of the walls. Also, he is looking at the various construction methods of the walls. He pays special notice to the west walls which the party had entered through a doorway.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Crimsontree wrote:
beermotor wrote:I agree about maps, and encourage you to make your own. :P

I find your descriptions of the rooms to be confusing. I've tried mapping from page 7 but I can't get a good picture of the rooms. I assumed the doors in the courtyard with the rusty ring was heading south into a structure but what I thought was right was described as left. I don't know if archways are in the middle of rooms, how far they are apart from the following archway, how long corridors or halls go into structures etc. We’re not sitting around a table & I personally find it hard to visualise, never mind map.
It's possible that I mixed up "right" and "left" which is why I try to clarify with cardinal directions instead (NESW). I don't think I've messed any of those up, so if you follow those, you should be fine. Most of the party is inside a roughly 20' square room with a door on the west wall, which is locked and through which some folks were shoved by the unknown creature, and there's a door on the north wall, which is also locked. Two party members are stuck outside the room, right outside the door on the west wall (thus, for them, it goes east).
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Thorin doesn't find anything unusual about the stone-block walls. They sound, from his tapping, to be very thick, and stout, though slightly crumbly on the very outside, hence the sand and dust and whatnot on the floor. The walls are old, very old, he is sure. But they look like they were made to last for a very long time, so it's not something that he'll be digging through any time soon... let alone the fact that he lacks the proper tools to do so. If the party is going to get out before starving to death, they're probably going to have to figure out the lock situation, he surmises.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

ooc...the north door is likewise locked? It also has the same array of buttons as the other inside door? Same type of buttons and same format?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Yes, yes, and yes. (Also I didn't say and nobody asked, but there's no windows.)
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Fritz finds the suggestion of Portly Trim to be a readonable one & agrees to push the outside button.

"Ok Porky. Let's push on 3. 1,2,3 push!"

They both push the metal buttons.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Pretty sure Fritz is inside, isn't he? I think only Darrow and Hector are outside... Didn't Fritz and Fosco go inside to check on the dwarf, and then Chendris and Flavia were bumrushed and pushed in by the creature?

Ahh, hmm. Seems I missed ol' Fritz. Very well... Fritz somehow escaped notice of the creature when it pushed Chendris and Flavia inside (+1 Luck to Fritz), and so he's outside the door with Hector, while Darrow covers the hallway with his bow.

Fritz and Portly Trim push on the buttons together, but nothing happens. In fact, the "buttons" don't have any "give" to them at all, they seem more like hard, metal plates. They are slightly warm to the touch, though.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Instead of pushing maybe try sliding." Thorin yells through the door. Waiting for those outside to try in slidding the buttons he and Fosco start to dig away and clean up the area in the midle of the room. Thorin leans over to Fosco and whispers to him. "Maybe something down here we can use or least some clues as to how to get out of this place."
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The floor is covered in about an inch or so of sand and dust. Now, it's mostly been covered with the bootprints of the party. It appears that most of the sand and dust is the result of flaking off from the sandstone blocks that make up the walls of the structure, at least this part of it (the exterior wall was more gray in color, the interior being more yellowish). Digging through the sand and dust in the middle of the room, Fosco and Thorin don't find anything interesting, other than a very hard stone floor, it looks as if it was once polished. Thorin notes a granitic texture and color, and quickly discovers that these are large tiles about two feet square. They're grouted together with a dark colored mortar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:The floor is covered in about an inch or so of sand and dust. Now, it's mostly been covered with the bootprints of the party. It appears that most of the sand and dust is the result of flaking off from the sandstone blocks that make up the walls of the structure, at least this part of it (the exterior wall was more gray in color, the interior being more yellowish). Digging through the sand and dust in the middle of the room, Fosco and Thorin don't find anything interesting, other than a very hard stone floor, it looks as if it was once polished. Thorin notes a granitic texture and color, and quickly discovers that these are large tiles about two feet square. They're grouted together with a dark colored mortar.

OCC...If able to do so can the two of them clean enough of the dirt away to uncover the majority of the tiles? If so than that is what they will do.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

I've made a stab at an updated map:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5d6CsO ... 1sY0U/edit
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Crimsontree wrote:I've made a stab at an updated map:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5d6CsO ... 1sY0U/edit
Looks good except Room 4 is squareish, there's no top part that hasn't been seen...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

MrHemlocks wrote:
beermotor wrote:The floor is covered in about an inch or so of sand and dust. Now, it's mostly been covered with the bootprints of the party. It appears that most of the sand and dust is the result of flaking off from the sandstone blocks that make up the walls of the structure, at least this part of it (the exterior wall was more gray in color, the interior being more yellowish). Digging through the sand and dust in the middle of the room, Fosco and Thorin don't find anything interesting, other than a very hard stone floor, it looks as if it was once polished. Thorin notes a granitic texture and color, and quickly discovers that these are large tiles about two feet square. They're grouted together with a dark colored mortar.

OCC...If able to do so can the two of them clean enough of the dirt away to uncover the majority of the tiles? If so than that is what they will do.
It's going to take a long time, without a broom or a shovel. They can move the sand and dust to one side, or pile it up in a corner, or something. Does anyone else want to do anything while they do that?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

"Well, while Fosco and I look at what is beneath this dirt maybe you all can try to reach that ceiling. That ooze might have dripped from openings in the ceiling....maybe our escape." Thorin goes back to cleaning out an area.

Thorin examines the floor, after some cleaning, and does there appear to be any marking?/drawings? The tiles are tight but can they be move using Fosco'c sword?
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Fritz walks up to the door at the end of the corridor going north & tries to open it.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The wooden door opens easily, and reveals a roughly 20 foot square room littered with debris. The debris appears to be mostly crockery and pots and whatnot, shards of it are everywhere, but the piles are larger along the edges of the room, suggestive of shelves which are long gone. There's a strange, dry, musty smell in the room, and there's another wooden door on the north side of the west wall, heading to the west.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

MrHemlocks wrote:...That ooze might have dripped from openings in the ceiling....
[Sorry I haven't been posting, but I keep popping in, and then getting confused by what I'm reading and figure I'd better go back and try to see what I've missed before posting again... One example: ooze? What ooze? I am missing the reference to ooze being in the room the bug-creature closed us up in. I will press on, and hopefully not blunder too much to incompetence...]

Darrow: "I saw a flash of light when that thing closed the metal door. It's a door, perhaps it takes a key -- a key the thing holds, perhaps a key of light, but a key nonetheless.

Hector, we should get Fritz and track this thing down to get that key..."
He shouts as much at the folk beyond the door. He and Hector head North to catch up to Fritz. (Unless someone beyond the door objects)

Chendris is estimating how far down this room is from the surface and thus how much there could possibly be above this room...

Flavia wonders about air, more than a shortage of food, and suggests keeping just one torch going for the time being...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”