The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:As they're doing that, some strange snarling noises are heard and four half-decayed human corpses lurch towards the light from out of the darkness beyond. Two of them fall upon Clump, and one each upon Jed and Fantano, tearing at the poor men with fingers that are as much bone as they are flesh, and biting with ravenous, hungry mouths, snarling and moaning and roaring incomprehensibly as they do so. The first scores a critical hit against Clump (5 total damage), and his throat is torn open, blood spraying and gushing out as his scream of panic and fear is cut short when his vocal chords are ripped free; the second stumbles and joins his fellow, feasting on the poor jester's warm flesh. The third falls upon Jed, tearing at his face with his sharp bony hands, ripping the (other) jester's eyes from his sockets (6 total damage), Jed's screams of pain are quickly silenced by the thing gnawing on his face. The fourth falls over Fantano, pinning him to the ground as it snarls and bites at him (2 total damage), and the animal trainer is quickly killed as well.

Surprise round's over, roll d20 for initiative for your groups.

And since these are now prone, feasting on your (dead) comrades, roll d24s to hit them with melee or ranged weapons (from short range only, and be careful about firing into melee, unless you don't care in which case fire away! :twisted: ).

OOC...OMG...almost 1/3 of the party is dead already :? Also, how do I roll dice and post them here?

Thorin screams with anger and aims his pick axe towards one of these monters' skulls. Gandolf, likewise takes a stab, with his trusty dager, at the back of the nearest mob. Fosco, rolls over, grabs his sword and swings at one of the undead with all his might!!! As Jed lies there dieing he tells himself one last joke..."haha that was so funny", and than falls into darkness.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

MrHemlocks wrote:

OOC...OMG...almost 1/3 of the party is dead already :? Also, how do I roll dice and post them here?
:twisted: Hey, y'all're the ones who lit a fire within sight of the ruins, what do you want?

As for dice, I use rolz.org. It's an honor system. (Cheating is pretty lame, heh.)
MrHemlocks wrote: Thorin screams with anger and aims his pick axe towards one of these monters' skulls. Gandolf, likewise takes a stab, with his trusty dager, at the back of the nearest mob. Fosco, rolls over, grabs his sword and swings at one of the undead with all his might!!! As Jed lies there dieing he tells himself one last joke..."haha that was so funny", and than falls into darkness.
Roll d24s for each of those attacks, and roll damage as well, don't forget to include modifiers (Strength, Lucky Rolls if applicable).
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:
MrHemlocks wrote:

:twisted: Hey, y'all're the ones who lit a fire within sight of the ruins, what do you want?

As for dice, I use rolz.org. It's an honor system. (Cheating is pretty lame, heh.)
MrHemlocks wrote: Thorin screams with anger and aims his pick axe towards one of these monters' skulls. Gandolf, likewise takes a stab, with his trusty dager, at the back of the nearest mob. Fosco, rolls over, grabs his sword and swings at one of the undead with all his might!!! As Jed lies there dieing he tells himself one last joke..."haha that was so funny", and than falls into darkness.
Roll d24s for each of those attacks, and roll damage as well, don't forget to include modifiers (Strength, Lucky Rolls if applicable).

LOL...not a problem. Since most those that wanted to start the fire anyway are dead))))
I went to rolz.org and got three rolls: http://rolz.org/ <link to what I rolled

Init Roll=5

Thorin...rolls 16 and hits for 8!
Gandolf...rolls 19 and hits for 3!
Fosco...rolls 13 and hits for 6!
1D8 => 6

1D4 => 3

1D8 => 8

1D24 => 13

1D24 => 19

1D24 => 16
Last edited by MrHemlocks on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

OOC..this is the most fun RPG I have played besides D&D 1e and Call of Cthulhu!!!!
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Portly Trim initiative 9, Fritz Duiveltongue initiative 6.

Portly Trim starts slashing the abominations with his trusty razor. (23 for Portly Trim, damage 4.)

Fritz Duiveltongue grabs his club & starts whacking wildly at the undead freaks that have invaded the hilltop. (6 for Fritz! Damage 3.)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I rolled initiative for my group, and we got a 9.

Chendris, Hector and Flavia all have staves (staffs?) -- they each jump, roll or fling themselves back out of the midst of the carnage and begin bashing the ravenous attackers...

Flavia - to hit 7 -- damage 4 (though I'm assuming that's a miss; I'll just provide all the numbers, rather than assume too much)

Hector Hector -- to hit 14 -- damage 5

Chendris -- to hit natural 20 -- damage 4

Darrow likewise leaps back out of the fray, further than the others, and scans for more attackers in the dark while readying to strike at them with a bowshot... (to hit 7 (using d20) -- damage 1). If there are no additional assailants for him to attack, I suppose it takes his round (at least) to determine this and get his bow ready...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

(FYI, you just roll one initiative for each group of chars, use your best initiative bonus...)

The party quickly mobilizes and begins hacking, slicing, and bashing the attacking corpses. The air is filled with the stench of old decay and filth, mingled with the fresh warm blood of your dead compatriots, but the corpses are stilled by sufficient blows to the head. (The "misses" were actually hits but didn't do any damage to the things.)

In the dim light, you can see that the things each wore a thick leather collar with an iron ring set in the back, as if they may have been chained once.

Survivors earn +2 experience points.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Once the attack is over, Portly Trip stamps out the fire. He then vomits up the remnants of his last meal. As he recovers, Fritz Duiveltongue listens for any sounds of more of the foul beasts.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

He hears nothing but the frightened panting of the surviving party members and the cold wind whistling in your ears. The white moon casts dim shadows in the night, but he sees nothing aside from the broken, blasted terrain and the ruins atop Bone Hill. Nothing catches his eye as far as movement is concerned.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Chendris looks up at the stars and moon, and tries to gauge how long til dawn...

Darrow inspects these collars.... age of make? sturdiness? if there were chained up, did they just recently break free (fresh scrapes on the metal or leather)?

Grimly, Hector gathers up the water skins of the dead, ready to re-distribute the water to anyone who's running low...

Flavia is a bit on edge, and peers out into the night, staff in hand.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The collars are worn, filthy, and old. They do not appear to have been broken, though. The iron rings are rusty, but almost polished on the inside, perhaps from wear of something metal, like a chain.

Dawn is about 8 hours away, night being 12 hours.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Fritz doesn't like the idea of spending the night out in the open, waiting to be picked off like sitting ducks. He addresses the group.

"We should head towards the ruins. We're here to rid this place of it's foulness. Outside on this hill is too exposed & there'll be no sleep tonight. We should take the fight to them & kill the bastards before they wipe us all out."
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Fritz feels particularly bold after his speech, the fires of conviction warming his spirit and steeling his nerves, strengthening his arm. +1 Luck, +1 temporary HP.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Crimsontree wrote:Fritz doesn't like the idea of spending the night out in the open, waiting to be picked off like sitting ducks. He addresses the group.

"We should head towards the ruins. We're here to rid this place of it's foulness. Outside on this hill is too exposed & there'll be no sleep tonight. We should take the fight to them & kill the bastards before they wipe us all out."
"So, now you want us to go toward the ruins and climb the hill IN THE DARK!" Fosco says with amazment. " I suggest we stay here for the rest of the night. Everyone on high alert. Some of us can see in the dark so there is little chance we will be supprised by anything coming out of the open desert."
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Fritz turns towards Fosco. "Thorin & Gandolf didn't spot those 4 abominations a few minutes ago, did they? It's also dark inside but at least we can get a grip on the situation & find out what's inside. Better than freezing our balls off out in the open with no sleep and fire."
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

(I'm going to let y'all RP this out... let me know when you've reached a decision.)
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Darrow stands, "These collars, are aged and battered, but look! -- they are polished in the center...! These things had been locked up a long time -- and just now set free to kill us!" He throws the collar to the ground, in disgust.

"Inside the Hill, we will face what we came here to face anyway. They may be surprised by the simple fact that we still live! And we need not face them in the dark, as t'would be out here... Out of the wind, our torches will light the way to their throats just fine."

"Let's go!" shouts Hector, while Chendris slowly nods his agreement.

Flavia looks out into the night, the wind pulling at her...

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Gandolf, looking over at Fosco, shakes his head. " Though I agree with you my little Hobbit the rest of the party does not. So, I suggest we all head to the ruins as quickly and safely as possible." Fosco, looks down on the ground. Kicks some dirt and nods with agreement.

Thorin, now eager for revenge..."lets do it. I can see into this blackness so stay close to me."
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

I think we've made our decision & are ready to move forward.

My characters search the belongings of the fallen to see if they have anything useful. Torches, wateskins etc.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

The dead had backpacks with waterskins, rations, and whatever personal gear / coins they started with. Feel free to distribute the stuff however you want.

Leaving the corpses where they lay, you set off into the dark night, toward the ruins on Bone Hill. The dwarf's infravision is useless for seeing the way, as you quickly discover, but he is able to keep the party together at least. It takes several long hours to pick your way through the rubble several hundred yards to the ruins. Finally, you're there, at the south wall of the ruined structure. Some hundred yards to your right, in the dim moonlight you can see a collapsed section of rubble.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Bump for the holidays... I'll be back in town next Monday, but may have an opportunity to post while gone. Just waiting on some input....
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hector the Dwarf moves forward, testing the ground ahead of him constantly with his cudgel. Nearing the ruins, he searches for any modicum of shelter or way down into the ruins...

If he can find such, he will begin lighting torches so that others can find him and join him.

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Thorin, scanning the blackness of the ruins, also looks for any signs of acitivity and a safe way to lead the party.

Fosco and Gandolf are on full alert and with weapons ready awaite the dwarf's next move.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Fritz draws his weapon and checks behind him just in case anything decides to creep up on the group. Portly Trim listens intently, eagerly awaiting news from Hector the Dwarf.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Is this the normal pace for a PbP game, are the players responding quickly enough or is it slow because of the holidays? I didn't expect fast paced action but I thought we'd do more than this over a period of 2 weeks.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”