The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by Sveden »

Sitting chained against the wall you see four humanoid figures squinting against the torchlight. As you get closer you see three men and a woman.

The oldest man in the group speaks, "Thank the gods! You aren't one of those horrible bug-men. Please in the the name of Portsmouth unchain us before it is too late."

His voice dry from apparent dehydration the man pulls feebly at a leather collar around his neck.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

There's a pile of their personal effects nearby, FYI.

This audience chamber is large, and on the western end, where a throne may have once stood upon a raised dais, you can see the twinkling stars of the early morning sky outside (like, 3 a.m., roughly) through the crumbled ceiling and exterior wall. It might be possible to crawl out that opening and escape the ruins, you're not sure. There's another door on the south wall, and like the one on the north wall that Thorin/Fosco just came through, it's open.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:There's a pile of their personal effects nearby, FYI.

This audience chamber is large, and on the western end, where a throne may have once stood upon a raised dais, you can see the twinkling stars of the early morning sky outside (like, 3 a.m., roughly) through the crumbled ceiling and exterior wall. It might be possible to crawl out that opening and escape the ruins, you're not sure. There's another door on the south wall, and like the one on the north wall that Thorin/Fosco just came through, it's open.
ooc...Any way you could dropbox a picture of the map so far? Even 'old school' would have the DM help with the map if things got all messed up. And beside, we are not actually playing old school are we...on computer. :lol: It would be easier to understand the layout of the dungeon if we were all seated at the same table, but over the internet things can get a bit confussing as to how things look and where other characters are. Least to me...
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

OOC: Sure, I will tackle that when I get back this afternoon, labels and rooms. My pc has the file and is home currently.

Updated! Please check for accuracy.
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Fritz hustles back to the Trim and they use the dining room table to secure the door to the kitchen. If opportunity presents itself Trim will still try and turn the horde chasing us.
-Adananx the Awesome.

Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Ok, the door to the kitchen room is now barred/blocked by the remains of the large table. There's a few more loud thuds/bangs on the south door in the kitchen, and then it stops completely, and all becomes quiet... except for the plaintive moans of the four miserable wretches chained up in this room, waiting for someone to free them.

(Fritz, you may want to ask your fellow adventurers if anyone started with a set of tools that might be useful for a Thief... as you'll need something to pick locks. Improvising something MIGHT be possible, if you scavenge a bit, but there'll be some sort of negative circumstantial modifier for that.)
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Fosco and Thorin lite up their torches. They than look around the kitchen. Thorin looking for something he can make a shield with and Fosco looks for a second weapon that he could use in his off hand. If nothing is to be found they will stand guard near the south door, that is opened, peering into the Audience Chamber.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

OK, the door to the kitchen has been barred by the remains of the table. Thorin scrounges around to see if he can find something suitable to use as a shield but comes up empty. (Don't give up. You might get lucky later.)

Fosco finds something that he could potentially use as a small club (d3 damage) if he wants.

In the audience chamber are the four miserable wretches chained up by their necks to a rock on the floor, and a pile of their gear lies nearby but out of their reach.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Jack will see if Stormbringer's Little Brother can cut through the chains and release these poor victims.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Fosco, grabbing the club in his left hand smiles..."now we are ready for action!"

Thorin steps into the audience chamber a bit and exaimines the four chained figures."How did you get here and who or what tied you up?"
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Jack will see if Stormbringer's Little Brother can cut through the chains and release these poor victims.
Interesting... (You know I actually have to go read up on Stormbringer now, haha... OK read up on it... main difference is the unadorned nature of this blade, and the smaller size.)

In fact, the black blade slices through the rusty chains like butter. Depending on where Jack's cutting the chains, there's still some bits of them dangling from the collars around these poor souls' necks. If Jack wants to try to use the blade to remove the collars, or crop the chains close to the collars, well... we'll need some rolls. :twisted:
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Fritz looks to the other party members, "any of you have something I could use to pick these locks?". Fritz examines the collars to see if this is possible.

Portly flexes his hand again trying to keep it legible. He lingers I the doorway of the audience hall watching the way we came.
-Adananx the Awesome.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

romprecentor wrote:Fritz looks to the other party members, "any of you have something I could use to pick these locks?". Fritz examines the collars to see if this is possible.

Portly flexes his hand again trying to keep it legible. He lingers I the doorway of the audience hall watching the way we came.
Hmm, keeping a hand legible? Is he writing something? :D If you mean "loose," okay that's fine.

Fritz sees the chains are locked with crude rusty padlocks to the leather collars. With some time, it could be possible to cut the collars off, or with the right tools, he could probably pick the locks. He'd need something stiff to make the picks with, though... some metal wire of some kind. He doesn't see anything immediately around, though, but one of his compatriots might have the necessary implements of the trade.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I bet there was something in the kitchen that could've made improvised tools. :wink:

Hector admires Portly's skill at sign language, but can't understand a word of it...

Darrow steps up to the rescuees and asks if they are injured, ready to apply some of his people's field first aid skills (which may get 'enhanced' by Rudra to his surprise...).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

The four in collars give varying answers of their health. Most say they are simply worn out and thirsty.

"We came to this outpost to investigate and were captured. We've been chained to this wall ever since."
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

OOC: spell check gave me the power to sign! I was shooting for "limber.".

Fritz heads back to the kitchen in search of improvised lock picks. He will rummage through everything looking for anything of value.
-Adananx the Awesome.

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Thorin and Fosco offer the recently chained adventures some water/ale to drink. Afterward Thorin will search the audience chamber for anything to use as a shield while Fosco searches for for anything 'strangely' out of place.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

This was once a throne room or audience chamber of some kind, but it's been partially destroyed. The western wall, some 50 or 60 feet away, has started to crumble, and there's now a fairly large 5 or 6 foot hole in the upper part of it, through which you could crawl out into the cold night air, if you wished. Again, there's an open door on the south wall, leading south, out of this room, in addition to the door on the north wall that you just came through.

Looking around, Fosco sees debris reminiscent of paintings or artwork, frescoes, tapestries, things like that, which may have once adorned the walls here. They've long since been destroyed, perhaps purposeful, perhaps simply by the passage of untold centuries.

Thorin is unable to find anything suitable, unfortunately. If he wants to dual-wield a club, though, there's a serviceable stick (d3 damage).

Fritz, the door to the kitchen is barred by the large table in the meeting/dining room. Do you want to un-bar it and go back into the kitchen?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:This was once a throne room or audience chamber of some kind, but it's been partially destroyed. The western wall, some 50 or 60 feet away, has started to crumble, and there's now a fairly large 5 or 6 foot hole in the upper part of it, through which you could crawl out into the cold night air, if you wished. Again, there's an open door on the south wall, leading south, out of this room, in addition to the door on the north wall that you just came through.

Looking around, Fosco sees debris reminiscent of paintings or artwork, frescoes, tapestries, things like that, which may have once adorned the walls here. They've long since been destroyed, perhaps purposeful, perhaps simply by the passage of untold centuries.

Thorin is unable to find anything suitable, unfortunately. If he wants to dual-wield a club, though, there's a serviceable stick (d3 damage).

Fritz, the door to the kitchen is barred by the large table in the meeting/dining room. Do you want to un-bar it and go back into the kitchen?
ooc...Dwarves can smell good!
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Dwarves can smell gold and gems... and Thorin doesn't detect any nearby.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"Hmmm," says Cathbad, "I misklike this hole. If we can climb out, certainly those bugs - or something else - can climb in."

At her bidding, Sexton Abraham climbs to the top of the hole in order to stand guard. (He might as well be wearing a red Original Series Starfleet uniform, but at least we'll get some warning!)

"I can try to get those chains off better," says Jack. "I'm pretty darn quick with my hands, but I gotta tell you all, it's easy to slice a mite too much with this thing." He stops, puzzled for a second. "Wonder why they left you all alive, though. Or left us alive, for that matter."

"I've been thinking about the same thing," says Cathbad. "Three expeditions, not a coin upfront, and prisoners taken. Have we been sent here as a sacrifice? Or as willing flies to walk into a spider's web? And, if they want us alive, there must be some reason for it.....slavery, perhaps? Or something worse. Either way, should we survive this, I would like words with our employer."
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Sexton Abraham pokes his head out the top of the hole and sees the setting White Moon on the mountainous horizon. It's dark, and thousands upon thousands of stars twinkle overhead in a dizzying array. Aside from the dark and the cold wind, which seems constant, he doesn't see anything moving. From this hole, it'd be possible to escape to the badlands around and from thence back to Portsmouth.

By the way, Cathbad et al., you recognize these four folks from your original group. So it's 2 groups (so far as you know), not 3.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sexton Abraham waves down and gives the "thumbs up", then goes back to quiet lookout duty.
SoBH pbp:

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

The oldest of the four prisoners, who has been doing most of the talking, thanks you kindly and introduces himself as Bypeld. His rotund frame is helped to its feet by a younger man with dark hair and eyes.

"Gwyn, I think I see our staves in that pile there. Fetch them so I can prop myself up." Bypeld favors his left leg which appears to be very stiff.

The third man, tall but with a sunken chest has already retrieved his pack and leans heavily on his shovel. After a long drink from a waterskin he introduces himself as Orastes.

A woman with a horribly burned face quiet paws through the pile of discarded items. A dagger is tucked into her belt as she inspects what appears to be a few pieces of very fine cloth in her backpack. Satisfied all is in order she stands and waits.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Orastes looks around recognizing some of the faces, "So what happened to you after we were captured? We were here for several days chained to this damn wall!"
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”