The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:Just to clarify, you're talking about the south door, right?

Chendris, wise Chendris. :-) But in truth is very difficult to tell, though you think you hear a word like Portsmouth...
The south door with the zombie things on the other side, yes.

"Hmm. Could be another of those things with a different repertoire... But somebody free should 'interview' whoever or whatever is beyond that door. The bug can't really hold a conversation..."

beermotor wrote:By my count, Portly Trim should be at 11xp and Darrow, Chendris, Thorin, Fosco, Flavia, Hector, Fritz should br at 10xp. Feel free to level up as you wish...
Cool! ...I had mine at 8 each.... :?
beermotor wrote:He might be able to restring it, but it'll take him at least 30 minutes to do, because of the extra work involved with a view. Fair enough?
Sounds good. :)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Leveling!

Portly Trim has a religious moment and chooses to turn his service as a barber into service as a healer as a cleric of Daenthar, the Mountain Lord!

1D8 => 4 Hit points

A long and evil grin crosses Fritz's face and he levels as a Thief. "This crowbar should come in handy!"

1D6 => 2 Hit Points
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Sveden wrote:/ooc ooh! Level up!
ooc..want us to level up after we get out or....now? We need new character sheets for 1t level?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Level up now if you want. Be advised, though, that I'll be using RavenCrowking's impromptu spell learning for wizards/elves(dont think we have any?)... As for Portly Trim, there's custom gods here, so it depends what his alignment is?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:I'll be using RavenCrowking's impromptu spell learning for wizards/elves
http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... ls-on.html
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Portly Trim is Lawful. Looks at his razor with some trepidation.

How about Keoghtom?
Last edited by romprecentor on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Adananx the Awesome.

Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

My thoughts at the moment are thus, though I haven't done the work yet:

Darrow -- Cleric (of Ildavir, goddess of nature)

Chendris -- Wizard

Flavia -- Warrior

Hector -- Dwarf (just to mix things up, y'know?)

As for the impromptu spell learnin' thing: is this for filling all our spell slots right away? Is there an option to hold off and only use this process if we decide as things progress to 'adopt' a spell? If we can keep spell capacity open, do we learn spells in remaining slots more safely later?
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Ok, here's the deal with Gods, ye clerics.

Among Lawfuls, there are three main, monotheistic religions, based around three separate aspects of the same deity. The Father is the deity of order, ritual, sanctity, law; symbol is a six-pointed star, associated with the largest, yellow sun. The Son is the deity of healing, mercy, curing disease, sacrfice; symbol is a cross, associated with the white moon. The Great Spirit is the deity of war, fire, vanguishing evil, and the poor; symbol a crescent, associated with the faster, dark moon. Humans and dwarves tend to be lawful and these religions are definitely human in emphasis. Portly Trim can pick whichever he wants, but the large majority of Portsmouth residents follow the Great Spirit (allahu akbar!) ... then roll spells randomly.

Among Neutrals, there are a quite a few deities and they tend to be polytheistic. Elves and halflings tend to be neutral, and these religions are very elven in orientation. For Darrow, among his people, prayers were most often given to Rudra, the Bowman & the Lord of the Hunt. Darrow has felt a call to this ancient deity and may roll some spells randomly.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Chendris can roll randomly to see what he has access to initially, but must make checks if he wants to get immediate use. Also, the book may hold other secrets...
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Portly Trim will follow the Great Spirit.

Spell rolls:

1D11 => 6 Holy Sanctuary
1D11 => 11 Word of Command
1D11 => 5 Food of the Gods
1D11 => 9 Resist Heat or Cold
-Adananx the Awesome.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Ok... he hears a voice deep inside his head, whispering words of encouragement. "Your wound may be fatal, but your reward will be eternal. Be brave. Defeat the demons, deliver the captives to freedom, and the poets will remember your name forever. You know the prayers of our people, use them to the glory of God."
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Portly Trim lowers himself to his knees, "I shall serve the faithfully and well." He uses his razor to carve a a quick crescent moon from the wood on the floor, a hasty but heartfelt holy symbol.
-Adananx the Awesome.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Portly, you should consider trying to Lay Hands to remove the poison. By my reading, you would need a check of 14+.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Portly Trim picks up a piece of wood that's roughly the size of a buckler, and has a protrusion that allows it to be used as a shield. On this he carves the crescent, symbol of his God. And, he now has a makeshift shield (+1 AC), but it's not very good... it will automatically be subject to the Shields Will Be Shattered rule from CRAWL! on the first successful hit (though it will negate the hp damage, per that rule).

Whenever y'all are ready to go, let me know...
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Not sure what the others are doing, Thorin and Fosco head over to the west door and look it over. Thorin, takes special care to look for traps (1D20 => 17 +1=18), while Fosco tries to listen within the room.

Both feel stronger and more confident about themselves and in completing this hellish adventure.

ooc...There is nothing around here Thorin could make an improvised shield is there?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Thorin isn't a thief, so he's not particularly skilled at searching for traps. In any case, he finds none. Although he does hear, quite clearly, the word "Portsmouth" being shouted, somewhere far off behind the door.

Nothing that he can use as an improvised shield, sorry... Portly Trim took the only piece. But maybe he'll find something later on...
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:Chendris can roll randomly to see what he has access to initially, but must make checks if he wants to get immediate use. Also, the book may hold other secrets...
If I roll four spells now, does that mean I can't learn any from the book, assuming there are some in the book, until I'm 2nd Level? That's why I'm wondering if I should wait. If I roll 4 randomly now, but don't 'push to learn them' by the impromptu rules (either some of them, or all of them), can I sub in found spells as we go along...? And presumambly, 'safely' learn spells in any potential 'rest time' of sufficient length?

Hopefully, I'm making sense.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

GnomeBoy wrote:
beermotor wrote:Chendris can roll randomly to see what he has access to initially, but must make checks if he wants to get immediate use. Also, the book may hold other secrets...
If I roll four spells now, does that mean I can't learn any from the book, assuming there are some in the book, until I'm 2nd Level? That's why I'm wondering if I should wait. If I roll 4 randomly now, but don't 'push to learn them' by the impromptu rules (either some of them, or all of them), can I sub in found spells as we go along...? And presumambly, 'safely' learn spells in any potential 'rest time' of sufficient length?

Hopefully, I'm making sense.
Yes, basically you roll randomly for "access" to four spells. You still have to roll to "learn" them... that's where RC's rules re: impromptu learning come in. If you spend downtime studying, you get to use a d20 instead of a d16. Perhaps with certain circumstantial modifiers, I might allow a d24 (like if you spent a month studying instead of a week, or used some components or something), and you could use Luck to influence that roll, too (hellooooooo, Mr. Halfling!).

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the book actually contains spells (you have no idea if it does or not; it could be something entirely different). You'd still need to have a free "slot" to "learn" one from it. But you might (MIGHT! see Read Magic, particularly, for more details) "know" that you've got a book with certain other spells that you could study and learn. It MIGHT be possible to "swap" them out, too, at some later date, with an expenditure of time and money. I believe there's precedent in Appendix N for that.

Let's get real though, you're not gonna live that long. :-)

Make sense?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Oh and if you want to use these tables, feel free:

Randomly determine wizard / elf spells at level 1

Wizard: roll 1d5: 1 = 3 offense, 1 defense; 2 = 2 offense, 1 defense, 1 utility; 3 = 2 offense, 2 utility; 4 = 1 offense, 2 defense, 1 utility; 5 = 2 defense, 2 utility.
Elf: roll 1d3: 1 = 1 offense, 2 defense; 2 = 1 offense, 1 defense, 1 utility; 3 = 1 defense, 2 utility.

[Alternatively, roll based on alignment: Lawful = 1 offense, 2 defense, 1 utility; Neutral 1 offense, 1 defense, 2 utility; Chaotic = 2 offense, 1 defense, 1 utility.]

Offense
1. Chill Touch
2. Choking Cloud
3. Color Spray
4. Flaming Hands
5. Magic Missile
6. Sleep

Defense
1. Charm Person
2. Ekim’s Mystical Mask
3. Enlarge
4. Feather Fall
5. Force Manipulation
6. Magic Shield
7. Spider Climb
8. Ward Portal

Utility
1. Animal Summoning
2. Cantrip
3. Comprehend Languages
4. Detect Magic
5. Find Familiar
6. Mending
7. Patron Bond & Invoke Patron*
8. Read Magic
9. Ropework
10. Runic Alphabet, Mortal
11. Ventriloquism
12. Patron Spell**

*: If Patron Bond is rolled, Invoke Patron may be learned automatically as the next spell. If already known (e.g., if character is an elf), the result is a Patron Spell.
**: If Patron Spell is rolled, but Patron Bond/Invoke Patron are unknown, simply re-roll.

Randomly determine cleric spells at level 1

Roll 1d3: 1 = 3 combat, 1 non-combat; 2 = 2 combat, 2 non-combat; 3 = 1 combat, 3 non-combat.

[Alternatively, roll based on Alignment: Lawful = 1 combat, 3 non-combat; Neutral = 2 combat, 2 non-combat; Chaotic = 3 combat, 1 non-combat.]

Combat
1. Blessing
2. Darkness
3. Paralysis
4. Protection from Evil
5. Resist Cold or Heat
6. Word of Command

Non-combat
1. Detect Evil
2. Detect Magic
3. Food of the Gods
4. Holy Sanctuary
5. Second Sight
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

beermotor wrote:Thorin isn't a thief, so he's not particularly skilled at searching for traps. In any case, he finds none. Although he does hear, quite clearly, the word "Portsmouth" being shouted, somewhere far off behind the door.

Nothing that he can use as an improvised shield, sorry... Portly Trim took the only piece. But maybe he'll find something later on...

ooc...I thought I read that a Dwarf gets a +1 to detect traps at 1st level?
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

MrHemlocks wrote:ooc...I thought I read that a Dwarf gets a +1 to detect traps at 1st level?
Underground. For caverns and dungeons and such.

I think we are still above ground, indoors.

*absorbs beer's postings*

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Yeah I think that's more for what in 3.x is a Spot check, versus a Search check. DCC has a Luck check, but generally ignores Search ROLLS in favor of specifics about what you're searching and how/why.
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

I am ready if the rest are.

Fritz will check the door for traps: 1D20+1 => 12

If none are found Fritz opens the West door a crack and peeks through as quietly as possible: 1D20+3 => 8

Portly Trim thanks his god and good fortune and hefts the new improvised buckler determined to meet his fate bravely. He moves to the side of the door next to Fritz prepared to back him up if hostiles press from the other side.

OOC: @Raven_Crowking I had thought about trying to heal the poison too, I just don't want it to be my first official action. :D
-Adananx the Awesome.

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

"If something beyond that door is talking of Portsmouth -- maybe it is yet another group sent by that scoundrel Salazar..." Chendriss rubs his chin.

'But don't--" [The door gets opened anyway...]

[Here's Chendriss' spells (in reserve): Cantrip, Charm Person, Color Spray, Invoke Patron, Patron Bond (went with the Neutral spread option).

And Darrow's: Darkness, Detect Magic, Resist Cold/Heat, Second Sight.]

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Jack grips his sword, ready to fight. Sexton Abraham readies his shovel as the door is opened.

Cathbad steps back.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”