The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by Sveden »

"I hear chains." says Bypeld.

Tonunt looks around in confusion.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Tick tock... tick tock...

:twisted:
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

GnomeBoy wrote:"Freedommmm!" Hector rushes out, blinking in the growing sunlight.

"Shut up, you fool!" Flavia barks. She and Chendriss listen for distance, direction and 'quantity'.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

If Bypeld doesn't hear the noise again, he whispers "Maybe it was the wind. But it reminded me of the clank of the chains around the neck of those feral slaves."
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Cathbad walks blinking into the sunlight.

"Thanks be to the gods that the night is over," she says, oblivious to all be the feel of sunlight on her skin.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

asdfasf
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

had trouble connecting all day today from office... very odd. I have an uodate, will post tomorrow.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I cannot get to the site from office, dunno wtf problem is... it just times out every time. I emailed post to gnomeboy to add, but maybe he's having trouble too? I can't cut and paste it from phone sadly. this is highly annoying.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:I cannot get to the site from office, dunno wtf problem is... it just times out every time. I emailed post to gnomeboy to add, but maybe he's having trouble too? I can't cut and paste it from phone sadly. this is highly annoying.

EDIT: Okay, trying to paste in the bit from your email in place of the above quote, when I hit submit, I get an error message... :shock: Something spooky is happening...
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:
beermotor wrote:I cannot get to the site from office, dunno wtf problem is... it just times out every time. I emailed post to gnomeboy to add, but maybe he's having trouble too? I can't cut and paste it from phone sadly. this is highly annoying.

EDIT: Okay, trying to paste in the bit from your email in place of the above quote, when I hit submit, I get an error message... :shock: Something spooky is happening...
Damn wraith pursued us into the InterWebs! :shock:
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

GnomeBoy wrote:EDIT: Okay, trying to paste in the bit from your email in place of the above quote, when I hit submit, I get an error message... :shock: Something spooky is happening...
I've had that happen before. It wouldn't let me post over and over. I then removed a few items from the post and it worked. I narrowed it down to some code I was trying to use for formatting.

Or maybe try pasting it as plain text? Post it into Notepad.exe and then post it here? Who knows.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

...aaaaaand I'm back! beermotor shouldn't be too far behind me (maybe a day?)...

The site software had us blocked as spammers. I'll try to be less salty in my posts. :P

I'm going to see if this posts, and then try to post beer's last post that he wanted me to post last week.

Sveden, I don't think it could be a formatting issue, since I was trying to post plain text. The first time it was copied from beer's e-mail (could that have had hidden formatting?), but when that wouldn't post, I pasted it into a basic text editor to strip out any potential weird formatting code (which I've used it for in other contexts) and trying to post *that* is when I became completely blocked.

SO: I'm going to try to post beer's post from last week -- if this winds up being my last post for a day or so, we'll (sorta) know why...

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Okay, so much for that idea. There is something spooky about that text.

I flippin' re-typed it -- and it still takes me to a server error page!

Apparently the site software doesn't like what beer is throwing at us... :mrgreen:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Posting a re-phrased version of beer's last (lost) post:

Chendriss and Flavia can't determine much from the clanking noise -- it was faint, just outside somewhere. With Hector's hollering, though, it's impossible to tell.

Hector runs out into the sunlight glare, warming his skin and banishing the gloom... Cathbad follows on behind him. They are immediately attacked by two each of clawed, insectoid legs... The first misses Hector (1, fumble), but the second strikes true (17) for 3 damage. The other two legs likewise split versus Cathbad, with the fist missing (5), but the second hitting her (9) for 4 damage, wounding her grievously (fatally?)... she crumples to the ground with a cry of surprise.

A chittering, clicking noise swells and across the courtyard you see one of the bug creatures pop up from behind some rubble, holding several iron chains in its grip... each restrains one of the un-dead, every one of them moaning and gnashing teeth. They move slowly towards the doorway (from about 40 or 50 feet away), with the bug urging them on by whipping the chains, as if driving a mule team.

Spun around in the attack, Hector sees two of the bugs clinging to the wall just about 10 or 12 feet above the ground, leaning out while holding fast with four legs.

Roll initiative, everybody!

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote:Chendriss and Flavia can't determine much from the clanking noise -- it was faint, just outside somewhere. With Hector's hollering, though, it's impossible to tell.

Hector runs out into the sunlight glare, warming his skin and banishing the gloom... Cathbad follows on behind him. They are immediately attacked by two each of clawed, insectoid legs... The first misses Hector (1, fumble), but the second strikes true (17) for 3 damage. The other two legs likewise split versus Cathbad, with the fist missing (5), but the second hitting her (9) for 4 damage, wounding her grievously (fatally?)... she crumples to the ground with a cry of surprise.

Cathbad rolls initiative.....10 -1 = 9. On her turn, she bleeds into the dust.
SoBH pbp:

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

INIT: 1d20+1= 16
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Initiative: 18

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

OKAY... I'm FINALLY BACK.

Yeesh... sorry about that. The web site was hating me for a long while there.

Y'all are all acting before the bugs and the un-dead, so you see that they look like they're going to let the un-dead run free and rely on them to soften up the party first. Hector could try to dart back inside, but he'll risk attacks by bugs on the wall above the doorway. Alternatively, he could flee to another part of the compound.
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc Waiting for my INIT before I post actions

Portly Trim cries out as he sees Cathbad sink to the ground.

"Cathbad! I must heal Cathbad! We've come too far to lose her now."
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Go ahead and post your actions...
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

There is no way Hector is going back into that castle of horrors at the moment. Whatever is nearest on the ground to him, he charges and smacks them with full sword-swinging-&-shield-bashing action! His Deed with the sword is to strike an arm, to make the target's attacks weaker; with the shield to spin it around and disorient it.

Sword: 10+3-2 = 11 -- damage: 1
Shield: 10+1-2 = 9 -- damage (or not): 1

Flavia calls after the mad dwarf, "Hector, noooo!" and charges to back him up. Her Deed is to knock prone the target, if it is a zombie, or smash it's face and blind it if it is a bug.

Sword; 13+3 = 16 -- damage 5

Chendris aims up the wall, and attempts to use Color Spray to neutralize the bugs up there:

Spell check; 13+2 = 15 -- two targets within 40 feet must make a Will save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. Sightless creatures are immune.
Two identical duplicates of Chendriss appear, attacks against him before his next action may hit one of them, instead of him.

Darrow... He could try to heal Cathbad -- indeed he would try to heal Cathbad -- unless RC would rather not have her revived. So I'll describe two actions for Darrow, based on RC's preferences for his PC.

Lay on Hands for Cathbad: 15+3 = 18 -- 1 HD regained

OR

Shortbow vs. a target not engaged by Hector and Flavia, a zombie if one is in range: 15 --damage 1

Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

Emboldened by the brave crazy dwarf Bypeld steps forward and swings at nearest bug above the doorway.

Longsword 1d20+1= 10
DMG 1d8+1= 6

Fritz bolts from the keep and stops in front of Cathbad. He readies a swing of the black blade at anything that comes near him.

Black blade 1d20+?= 17
DMG 1d8+?= 6

Portly Trim moves to the entry way so the he can get a view of the leashed mass but tries to keep out of reach of the bugs above.

He feels the power of the four winds surge through him as his voice begins as a whispered prayer and ends as a booming command.

"Hear me slavers of flesh, your sins against Nature will not go unpunished. The Great Spirit compels your abominations to FLEE!"

Turn Check 1d20+1= 18

Orastes, fearing being trapped in the keep forever, moves forward and swings at the bugs on the wall.

Shovel 1d20-2= 5
DMG 1d4-2= 1

Tonunt's eyes go wide with fear. She drops her 10' pole and gropes for her shears. Staying inside the keep for the moment.
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Assuming nothing untoward prevents the Lay on Hands, Cathbad receives 3 hp. As soon as she gets to do so, she will stand, groggily, and try to get a better understanding of the situation.
SoBH pbp:

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Hector attacks one of the bugs on the wall, but it skitters to the side and chirps at him. Flavia hollers out at the dwarf, then charges outside and joins him, her sword strikes true, wounding the thing in the eyes (although, she notes, it has more than just two... but she definitely damaged some of them, it's at -2 to its next attack). Gray-green ichor sprays through the air after her sword chops into the thing's leathery-hard carapace.

Chendris bravely(?) charges outside as well, turns and invokes arcane powers against the bugs on the wall. They attempt to save (9 + 3 = 12, fail; 1 + 3 = 4, fail) but are blinded. But it's only for 1 round.

Darrow charges out to the prone Cathbad and prays for Rudra's healing touch. She feels a radiant warmth, almost a green-ness of cool oases in the desert enter the darkness where her consciousness has fallen, and it seems to pull her back up to the world... her wounds close, the bleeding stops, and she begins to come back around. Fritz charges out and stands over / near Darrow and Cathbad, menacing the air with the black blade.

Bypeld charges out and attacks one of the bugs on the wall, but misses.

Portly Trim calls on the Great Spirit, and the unclean un-dead stop in their tracks. Four of them immediately turn around and flee (edit: forgot saves, but they rolled 1, 1, 9, and 3, so that doesn't matter :D ), pulling their chains out of the claws of the bugger holding them. The remaining four resume their charge, and converge on Fritz, who immediately attacks one of them and cleaves it in half. The remaining three attack Fritz (10, 3, 9) but only one connects, clawing the thief for 1 point of damage. The bugger who was leading them drops the chains and circles to the side, then advances on Darrow and attacks him with two clawed arms, all the while chittering and screeching in some insane language. The first misses (5 + 1 = 6), but the second connects (15 + 1 = 16), for 3 + 2 = 5 damage, dropping him to the ground, bleeding. The two blinded bugs on the wall retreat further up the wall, allowing Bypeld, Flavia, and Hector to each get a free attack as they disengage and move away. Go ahead and roll those and then declare actions for next round.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Hector's freebie attack w/sword: 7+2-2= 7 ~miss~

Flavia's freebie attack w/sword: 14+3= 17 -- 4 damage

Until this moment, I think I've been forgetting to add my attack die result to damage for Flavia and Hector. Oy.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”