The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: The Secret of Bone Hill - L1 DCC conversion Play By Post

Post by romprecentor »

Trim tries the first door while Fritz stand ready to club any foes that might be found behind it.

Fritz. " hurry up, the horde is on the way!"
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Please note Jack's AC, which is in my .sig.

Unless you forgot to add a bonus, 12 shouldn't hit. Jack Be Nimble. If it does hit for some reason, that's fine, of course. :D
Hrrrrmmmm. It was early, but I swear it said 12. Curses, foiled again.

Jack is spared a gruesome death by the skin of his teeth.

He runs back and gets with the rest of the group, before Darrow and Flavia pull out the 10' poles.

However, several of the horde of un-dead (about 5 or 6, it's hard to tell in the dim torchlight) have followed him and are almost within striking distance. Darrow and Flavia will not be able to keep more than 2 pushed back with a 10' pole, and that may not even work, because the poles aren't very sturdy and are made for probing, not combat.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sexton Abraham will try to keep any that slip through back....16 to hit, 1 point of damage with his shovel.

"Poor Chalmers," he sobs. "We could have used his 10' pole!"

EDIT: Actually, once Jack is among friendlies (and the magic blade will not be lost) he will also turn and help stave off the un-dead as part of a retreat. He's got a great AC due to his Dex, and a magic sword. He rolls a 2 if he gets to attack, though, which I suspect does nothing at all.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

He and she with the 10-ft poles are mainly meant to buy a little time -- push back the leads, make however many tread in the oil a little more, maybe maybe cause one to slip, slowing the others down -- it's not a tactic to hold them all back indefinitely, just hopefully group up the targets a bit more.

Chendris falls back behind Hector, as Hector is (presumably) handing torches to another party member or two... if not, he's got one in each hand and and two lit at his feet, ready to start throwing them...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

While Fosco, heads north and goes west down the hall, Thorin reaches back and grabs one of those sropped torches Hector laid on the ground. He will than toss the torch onto the oil that covers the monsters approach. " I would suggest you guys do the same!" Thorin than makes it north and to the rest of the party.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Follow the group!

Sexton Abraham will be happy to keep the dead down - it was, in a way, his job as a grave digger, after all! If anything gets too close, he is the first to turn and give the others a chance. He is Lawful, after all, and not that bright. Also, he has lived longer than some of the others in this group, having taken up adventuring in his middle years....

If there is a spare to go around, Cathbad will take a torch, although she doesn't feel great about facing the un-dead at all, at all.

Jack keeps to the back of the group, trusting his luck, his reflexes, and his black blade. If there is a need to fight a defensive retreat, Jack is there. Otherwise, following the group.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Sorry guys, sick family has really destroyed my week and I'm slammed at work right now. I will try to update later today. Don't bail on me, we should be back to normal by Monday.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Sorry guys, sick family has really destroyed my week and I'm slammed at work right now. I will try to update later today. Don't bail on me, we should be back to normal by Monday.
Hope everyone feels better soon, but I know as well as any that life sometimes takes precedence to posting!
SoBH pbp:

MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
beermotor wrote:Sorry guys, sick family has really destroyed my week and I'm slammed at work right now. I will try to update later today. Don't bail on me, we should be back to normal by Monday.
Hope everyone feels better soon, but I know as well as any that life sometimes takes precedence to posting!
I am sure all will be fine with you and your family. Just post when you can...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Ok, the party retreats back north along the hallway to the first door. Portly Trim and Fritz are already inside the debris-filled room. There's a door on the north side of the west wall, headed west, nobody has been through it yet.

The group's delaying tactic works well, and the un-dead light up like Yule trees. The fire quickly consumes thrm but you hear more of them coming from farther down the corridor... and again the strange shrieking noise, "God save me! Aiiieee!"

You can, however, shut the south door here. It may be possible to bar it from the inside with some of the wooden debris in this room...
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

[This is a room that's not on the current form of the map, yeah?]
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Correct, although the door is on the current map.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

"Watch the far door, even as we bar this one," Cathbad calls. "I mislike being herded by our foes. Have we any missile weapons, that we can slay the next one of these ceiling bugs that we see?"
SoBH pbp:

GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

"I believe I am the only one with a bow, Cathbad," says Darrow, "but it will take me some moments of peace and quiet to repair it..."

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

GnomeBoy wrote:"I believe I am the only one with a bow, Cathbad," says Darrow, "but it will take me some moments of peace and quiet to repair it..."
Haha... nice try. :-) Will require a bowyer. Sadly, he's bowless for the foreseeable future.

The party spends some moments bracing the door with some of the wooden debris. On the other side you hear first one thump then growl, then another, then several... the sounds of scrapping claws and bones and moaning and growling, un-dead voices are unnerving, but the door seems to hold... for now.

+3 XP for survivors. +1 extra for Jack Nimble.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:Will require a bowyer.
[I am absolutely cool either way, because I honestly like stuff to happen to my characters that forces me to think of new solutions, but...

Fumble result 4 specifically says it'll take 10 minutes to fix the problem -- which reads to me like a person proficient with the weapon could fix it. But do rule it as you see best. It's been nice being the ranged dude, but improvisation is what I love about RPGs most.]

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Oh, well you said bow string snapped... so I assumed that was the weapon broken result. Not sure I could see how a shortbow could be damaged but repairable in 10 minutes... unless Darrow has a spare string on him?
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:Oh, well you said bow string snapped... so I assumed that was the weapon broken result. Not sure I could see how a shortbow could be damaged but repairable in 10 minutes... unless Darrow has a spare string on him?
[Well, a broken bow string is one example given of what the fumble entails... and lower results are less severe than higher results, generally. Maybe the rules assume you have string wrapped around one end sufficient enough to re-string the bow, given the time and focus to do it properly(?). But again -- however you want to call it... Maybe a Zero making a fumble has heavier consequences than a leveled character...]

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

He might be able to restring it, but it'll take him at least 30 minutes to do, because of the extra work involved with a view. Fair enough?
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Everyone hears, in addition to the scraping and moaning of the un-dead, a muffled cry, it sounds rather plaintive. It came from behind the door to the west...
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

We are looking for ways to possibly wedge the door open such that one person could squeeze through. We want it shut for now, but the hope is to wedge it in an open position so that only one creature can press through slowly at a time, allowing us to destroy them with comparative safety.

So, the searching for means to pull this off: are there cracks in the floor such that we could jam possessions (metal flask, steel vial, etc.) into them that would block the door? Is there something in the room large/heavy enough to stop the door if we can muscle it into position? Could ten-foot poles be bundled together collectively, we have at least two...) and made to stop the door from opening too wide, by lodging the far end against a corner or wall while the door-end is tied to the handle or perhaps held in place actively by a couple of us?

Darrow blurts this idea out and starts digging though the room/taking inventory, while Chendris explains that "I think the plaintive cries are more mimicry from the bug-thing..."

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

GnomeBoy wrote:We are looking for ways to possibly wedge the door open such that one person could squeeze through. We want it shut for now, but the hope is to wedge it in an open position so that only one creature can press through slowly at a time, allowing us to destroy them with comparative safety.

So, the searching for means to pull this off: are there cracks in the floor such that we could jam possessions (metal flask, steel vial, etc.) into them that would block the door? Is there something in the room large/heavy enough to stop the door if we can muscle it into position? Could ten-foot poles be bundled together collectively, we have at least two...) and made to stop the door from opening too wide, by lodging the far end against a corner or wall while the door-end is tied to the handle or perhaps held in place actively by a couple of us?

Darrow blurts this idea out and starts digging though the room/taking inventory, while Chendris explains that "I think the plaintive cries are more mimicry from the bug-thing..."
Just to clarify, you're talking about the south door, right?

Chendris, wise Chendris. :-) But in truth is very difficult to tell, though you think you hear a word like Portsmouth...
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

By my count, Portly Trim should be at 11xp and Darrow, Chendris, Thorin, Fosco, Flavia, Hector, Fritz should br at 10xp. Feel free to level up as you wish...
Sveden
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Sveden »

/ooc ooh! Level up!
Link to Sveden's PCs
PC descriptions/Status
Bypeld: Wizard - Alchemist AL:N AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Staff or Longsword +1 (1d4+1) 13/6/9/11/15/8(7)
Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10
romprecentor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by romprecentor »

Trim and Fritz will man the door to the west, Trim listening carefully ear to the door trying to make out the sound from the other side.

OOC: Map updated, please check for accuracy.
-Adananx the Awesome.

http://www.epicwords.com/campaigns/2077

Pbp Secret of Bone Hill characters:
Portly Trim, Cleric 1st (Barber) L, AC: 11, Str 10, Agi 11, Stm 8(-1), Per 11, Int 8(-1), Lck 12, hp 5, 21 cp, Razor, 2 x torches, large sack, scissors, candle, Improvised wooden buckler.
Fritz, Thief 1st, (Wainwright) C, AC: 10, Str 9, Agi 12, Stm 10, Per 16(+2), Int 12, Lck 13(+1), hp 5, 7 cp, club, flint & steel, lg sack(tomatoes), flask(water), black book, crowbar.

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”