Sour Spring Hollow

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Sour Spring Hollow

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ProdigalWilliam wrote:OOC: Life expectancy in the hollow is amusingly short! This has been a fun read so far. I'd love to roll up some extra targets if it's not too thematically weird or late in the quest.
Too late; sorry.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Mmmm... well, it *is* a funnel. We don't have an *answer*, though.

I thought we were going to the last cabin.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:I thought we were going to the last cabin.
The group got side-tracked at the well.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Amalthia looks about, expecting the ghosts to appear any moment.

"We should look in the last cabing before diving into the well. Maybe even take a look at the tomb stones along the way? We've got torches, but we'll need rope to get down there, anyway."

OOC: I'll double check, but I feel like Amalthia doesn't have rope, and that if any of the characters had some, it was devoured by the funnel along with them.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

"Luc has rope. But you may be right. At the very least we should get some Holly for protection before venturing down there" - Gran

OOC: Completely agree, and was hoping you would say that, but wanted to check if the well was worth coming back to, first. Luc has 50 feet of rope - the rope is the reason they had backtracked in the first place.

So.......Nan is going to go sit on the wooden horse, and everyone else will be moving that way as well, but staying back, weapons ready as usual. It isn't made of holly, is it?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The wooden horse reacts like one would expect...but is not made of holly.

Going in? :twisted:
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Sigh... Who wants to liiive foreveeeerrrrr????

Um, Guang? Might I prevail upon you to go first? I have but one hp, and no alternate characters. Although... how many xp do we need to level? Is it 4 or 10? Could Amalthia have reached first level as an Elf?
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: It's tempting to just burn the cabin down. But we need holly. From now on every one of my characters is looking to see if things are made of holly. Does the cabin have windows? With glass and all?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Guang wrote:OOC: It's tempting to just burn the cabin down. But we need holly. From now on every one of my characters is looking to see if things are made of holly. Does the cabin have windows? With glass and all?
Windows with shutters, but no glass. You could probably peer inside, or even crawl inside through the aging frames, if you decided to do so.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Was thinking of something a little more violent.

IC: Nan and Luc heave the wooden horse through the window, (the horse has got to be sturdy if it can take an adult's weight, right?), and ready their shovel and pitchfork a pace back, looking cautiously in through the window at the same time. Gran stays well back, with her bow trained on the door and an arrow nocked.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

There is a loud crash as the wooden hobby horse breaks through the shutters and comes into contact with the old furniture and floorboards within. Far off, you can hear birds rise cawing from the piney woods, Caw! Caw! Ca-caw! You wait with readied weapons, but an oppressive silence stretches out over the clearing. There is not even a breeze to be felt...strange that some of those trees seem to stir from time to time.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Nan steps up to the window, looking specifically at the layout of the building and to see if anything seems to be made of holly.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Looking into the room, Nan can see the rocking horse has smashed up a chair. The fireplace is visible, as well as a hanging lantern. A clay jug sits on a small table, covered in dust. There is firewood and a fiddle near the cold fireplace....There is no way to tell if there is holly in that stack or not...leastways, not by peering through the window. You can see a ladder leading up to a loft, and a pair of doorways indicating other rooms.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Amalthia whispers "Check if there's anybody by the door!"

Sir Cudsworth charges the door, butting it as hard as he can.

OOC: Are there any symbols visible on the door? If not, I think we can enter.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Nan doesn't see anyone by the door through the window.

You can see no marks on the door, magical or otherwise, apart from those made by time and worms.

The goat, not having human intelligence, has no reason to butt the door.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Fire, looks like you've lost some control over your future familiar. :/ And I forgot to pick up Marissa's ranged weapon. Do you have a missile weapon? If so, would you mind covering one of the interior doors with it? Going to try to avoid dying this time if I can help it.

IC: Luc gives the rope to Gran for safekeeping, and stands by the door. Gran positions herself at the window, bow drawn, arrow nocked, and sighting on the left-hand door. She will fire at anything that comes through, before it can attack Nan. She asks Amalthia to similarly cover the right hand door. "If'n something leaps out, nail it to the wall before it can do any damage". Nan cautiously enters the main room, weapon in hand and readied, checking everything wooden, especially the woodpile, to see if there is any holly. She pays attention to what else she might find in the meantime, and is careful to stay away from the doors.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Raven_Crowking wrote:The goat, not having human intelligence, has no reason to butt the door.

Awwwwwww...

IC:

Amalthia uses her... (shuffle shuffle shuffle...) Dagger! She holds it, ready to throw at anything attacking the group, angling herself to the side so her companion doesn't get hit if she throws it.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Raven_Crowking wrote:The goat, not having human intelligence, has no reason to butt the door.

Awwwwwww...

IC:

Amalthia uses her... (shuffle shuffle shuffle...) Dagger! She holds it, ready to throw at anything attacking the group, angling herself to the side so her companion doesn't get hit if she throws it.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Nothing leaps out as Nan enters the room. All seems quiet here.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

In we go!

ooc: Gosh, I hope this ends well. We need rope. Maybe the goat's lead would help? But we also need a light source.

Hey, does elven Infravision let Amalthia see in the dark?
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Fire, we have rope. And torches.
Raven: How is Nan's search of the main room going? Not going to blindly rush in this time. Gonna keep her covered.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Suddenly, nothing jumps out at you. :D

An examination of the living area shows little more than was visible from the window. There is a clay jug, a hanging lantern, a fiddle. The firewood seems to be oak, pine, and poplar. Some of the pieces might be used as an effective club. There are a few rusted iron knives.

From the main room, it is easy to see into the other two ground floor rooms - apparently a bedroom and a storage area with spare firewood, a hatchet, and some shelves. No way to tell more without drawing back the curtains, maybe even going inside.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Amalthia keeps watch while they go in, following along dutifully. She is immediately aware of how frail she feels, but helps as she can.

OOC: unless we find clues here, let's hurry on to the well.

Also: How long until we gain a level? Is it 10 or 4 XP?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

level 1 is at 10 XP.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I will be practising homelessness with a tent and canoe.

Back September 1st.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”