Sour Spring Hollow

The place for Play-by-Post adventures with DCC RPG, MCC RPG, XCC, DCC Lankhmar, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Sour Spring Hollow

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: Gotta say, using supplies in unexpected ways is pure win. I wonder if we should have torn up the floor boards for ten foot poles!
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: I dunno.....comes a point where the DM/GM just throws up his hands in frustration and says "The cabin collapses on you because you weakened it's structure too much. All your characters are dead. Roll up four more"
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I'll be driving to the States today to try to give my family support. My nephew died on Thursday. If posting is even more sporadic over the next week, I hope you understand.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Sorry for your loss, Raven. Take all the time you need.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Agreed. We'll be here when you're ready.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Guang: Question while we wait, what do your characters look like? And are there any that you hope will survive the funnel?

I'm thinking Amalthia looks like Laurana from Dragonlance, the typical elven fighter/mage/bard type. I'm thinking blonde to aubrun hair (sandy blonde?), maybe wavy or curled. I'll be trying to play up the bard aspect, I think. Not sure what to do for a patron, maybe look into options beyond the core book?
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Whoever wins/lives, Wizard. The chaotic randomness of wizardly magic looks really cool, and I'd like the chance to play through it. Get a feel for it and maybe DM some kind of crossover sometime. So I guess I'm paying close attention to my high-intelligence characters. Shawn, the guy that died first, was originally my favorite - although with INT 6 Wiz probably would have been challenging. 4 out of 6 feel real and interesting to me atm. What do they look like.....I guess it's more like what would it be like if this person was my coworker, or neighbor, or family member, or me.

Having said that......Marissa is a bit heavyset (the whole resisting temptation thing). Gran has a wiry strength. Matt feels safe, and projects calm. The farmers are all well-built and strong, cause that's kind of the shape farming keeps you in. Luc is a skinny teenager.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You hurry across the quiet yard. The only sound is the mournful wind rattling the corn stalks off to your right.

The cabin you approach is decayed-looking, lacking a porch. A pair of shuttered windows flank an open doorway leading into the gloomy interior. The split shake roof and chinked log walls hold a slight green tinge as if moss clings to the exterior.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: No porch? so the door is a ways off the ground....

IC: Byron goes up and peers through the doorway, holding up his torch to see better.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Amalthia and co keep going. "No time for caution! Those wraiths/phantoms/ghosts could be back any second!"

Amalthia kicks the door open, then Igor bursts through holding his holy symbol and torch aloft. the others follow him through.

Is the Devil's Thorn on the door here?
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Amalthia and co keep going. "No time for caution! Those wraiths/phantoms/ghosts could be back any second!"

Amalthia kicks the door open, then Igor bursts through holding his holy symbol and torch aloft. the others follow him through.

Is the Devil's Thorn on the door here?
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: lol, I guess my 6 follow fire's team in :) Gran scratches the Thorn on the doorpost, if it's not already there.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Igor rushes into the cabin, followed quickly by Noot, while Byron peers inside. The interior appears mostly empty, and greenish-mossy. Suddenly, a tongue-like tendril shoots out of the doorway toward poor Byron (4+8 = 12). He is pulled inside before the door closes on the moist green interior. Within, digestive juices begin to flow down the walls and pool on the floor. Beginning next round, everyone trapped in the interior - Igor, Noot, Byron - must succeed in a DC 15 Fort save each round or suffer 4d8 damage.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Blarrrrgh! Wait... (freaks out a little) ...okay, I'm back.

Did *not* expect a mimic cabin! I wonder if it's related to that fiendish dire gazebo from that story...

Is Byron *obviously* dead? 12 seems like a lot, I'm just not wanting to meta-game what Igor would do: if Byron was snapped in two like a twig, fine; or exploded in a gorey fashion; but if he's still struggling, I'll change this post.

IC: Igor wastes no time clubbing the inside of the house with his torch, and Noot follow suit. The hunchback bellows some prayers to "Paladine" at the top of his lungs as he pummels the inside of the house.

Amalthia smashes her torch at the house as well, and looks to the ground around the house to see if it's got dried grass she can light on fire.

Noot's goat, Sir Cudsmore, wastes no time butting the house over and over again, to save his friends.

Murphoi, on the other hand, veers off at an impressive 90-degree angle, and flees into the woods. While not the most studious apprentice (having left his book of shadows in the hands of the she-elf), he had remembered that magic wasn't something to mess around with. Specifically, it was the sort of thing clever people ran from, especially when other people were making noises and clumped together in more-inviting groups...
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Correct me if I'm wrong, Raven, but the 4+8=12 isn't damage, is it? I read it as being a successful grab? In any case, he fails his Fort save, and takes 14 damage the next round, so yeah, with 5hp I'd say he's pretty obviously dead. I think all 3 are done for.

IC: Byron screams in agony and dies, his clothes and skin steaming and discoloring as they begin to be digested. With his last strength, he stabs his pitchfork into whatever part of the cabin is nearest. (although with an attack roll of 4, it probably does no damage. Just in case it's an autohit: 5 dmg)

Gran grabs Nan by the arm, yells "There's nothing we can do for them! Run! To the next cabin!" and my 5 all run to the next cabin, Matt leading. Luc throws his lit torch on the roof of the cabin as they leave.
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: You're right about the to-hit, my mistake.

Interesting fact: I rolled a 17 for Igor and a 2 for Noot, so I'm guessing that Noot has vanished into the entrails of this beastie.

Igor, however, seems to have survived one round at least! The fightin' Igor!
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

OOC: Go Igor!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

The inside turns pink and spongy as the digestive juices flow, the interior adorned with nothing but the still-to-be-digested bones of past victims. All too soon, those trapped within are numbered among them.

Those who remained outside may have 2 xp.

Attacks against the "cabin" may be made against AC 10; it seems to have taken little damage so far. There is some slight chance of survival, if you wish to play it out!

A chill wind passes over those remaining outside, as they hear the terrible sounds of their friends (and family?) being devoured. Again, that strange bird call is heard in the distance: Rack-kak-kak-kaw, rack-kak-kak-kaw.
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: I shall!

Goat: 4!
Amalthia: (did she find something to light beneath the house? If so, unsure if it damages the building) Smack with her dagger: 16! I don't have d4 handy for the damage, but I'm sure it's not great.

Igor: 1! (Geez, Igor, thanks for coming out...) Fort save: 3. Ugh. Maybe hunchbacks don't taste good? Well, no, this one likely tasted like the brewery he worked at (the good ingredients, not the mash or whatnot).

IC:

The Goat smacks the wall with its horns, but bounces back a pace. Amalthia slashes the structure, but sees little effect. Sir Cudsmore bleats, calling her to re-join the herd. Swearing vengeance against their captors, Amalthia dashes away, taking up Sir Cudsmore's lead as they follow the others.

OOC: Any news from Murphoi, having dashed into the woods?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

fireinthedust wrote:OOC: Any news from Murphoi, having dashed into the woods?
Poor Murphoi has dashed upwards into the forest, and is currently wandering among the lonely trees.
SoBH pbp:

Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Poor Murphoi has dashed upwards into the forest, and is currently wandering among the lonely trees.
Any chance he'll run into Shep, the border collie that ran off into the cornfield? Or at least Shep's desiccated remains?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Guang wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:
Any chance he'll run into Shep, the border collie that ran off into the cornfield? Or at least Shep's desiccated remains?
Who knows what the future might hold?
SoBH pbp:

fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

Murphoi continues, getting through the forest area as fast as he can. While not studious, he's craven enough that he knows he does *not* want to be near the ghost-haunted area.

Amalthia is running with the goat to the next house.
Guang
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Guang »

And my 5 are leading the charge this time, with (doomed?) Matt leading.
Per a previous post:
"Gran grabs Nan by the arm, yells "There's nothing we can do for them! Run! To the next cabin!" and my 5 all run to the next cabin, Matt leading. Luc throws his lit torch on the roof of the cabin as they leave."
fireinthedust
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by fireinthedust »

OOC: total off-topic, but my mother in law is getting older, loves Jane Austen historical material. One of the family says something she wants clarified, so I made a joke about an ear horn. The rest of the night I did a bad accent while yell-repeating what people were saying "They said ...., Nana!" Gran reminded me of that. Good times.

I'm geeking out tonight, reading over my boxed set of "Wilderlands of High Fantasy". Amazing stuff, the old judges guild material reprinted for 3.5e by Necromancer Games. Great sandbox setting, amazing, amazing, amazing. I think I'll have to get print copies of the rest of the books, maybe from drivethrurpg.com? I could easily play a DCC rpg campaign in it, or even straight OSR.

Think GG would ever tackle it for DCC?

Return to “Crawl-By-Post”