Need advice for a level 0 group

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jinxology
Ill-Fated Peasant

Need advice for a level 0 group

Post by jinxology »

Anyone know if Dragora's Dungeon can be run with level 0 characters? It looks pretty brutal. My problem is that I've taken my friends through the level 0 module in the DCC RPG book (loved it!!), and Sailors on a Starless Sea, and I'm looking for something for tonight. I have also ran "Doom of the Savage Kings", which is level 1, and that seemed to work. Halp!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Need advice for a level 0 group

Post by Raven_Crowking »

jinxology wrote:Anyone know if Dragora's Dungeon can be run with level 0 characters? It looks pretty brutal. My problem is that I've taken my friends through the level 0 module in the DCC RPG book (loved it!!), and Sailors on a Starless Sea, and I'm looking for something for tonight. I have also ran "Doom of the Savage Kings", which is level 1, and that seemed to work. Halp!
If it is not to late, Prince Charming, Reanimator is PWYW in PDF on RPG Now. Otherwise, Frozen in Time is a great funnel. The Wizardarium of Calabraxis (sp?) would serve admirably. Etc. Rundown on some funnels here: http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2013/1 ... nnels.html

A bit out of date now, but still worth looking at.

I would avoid Dragora's Dungeon as a funnel.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Raven's The Arwich Grinder in issue #9 of Crawl! is also quite good. If you are up for an urban sandbox, then check out Edgar Johnson's Street Kids Of Ur-Hadad in issue #1 of Metal Gods of Ur-Hadad.
Terry Olson
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

I have found that pretty much any 1st level adventure works as a funnel with just a slight alterations to fit the story to taste. As far as stats for monsters etc. I don't change anything.

I ran Tower of the Black Pearl as a funnel for 4 players. Each of them got 8 zero level sailors, then chose one to be their Captain. The Captain was given a black powder pistol stats as x-bow with 2d6 dmg. (On a fumble it explodes in their hand!)

I told them they had each been tasked by the Pirate King to get the Black Pearl and return it to him.

It was a blast!

I also ran Glipkerio's Gambit as a funnel and it was an absolute shower of terror! I think 3 or 4 survived out of 16.

Oh, and I do NOT allow them to level up during the course of the adventure. You must survive to become level 1.
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
jinxology
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by jinxology »

Thanks guys, I read up on several of the suggestions, and ended up going with Frozen in Time. It was on the funnel compilation list linked in the first reply. Once I do this one, I'll probably make my way through the other suggestions. Thanks!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Frozen in Time is excellent!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Gonna run a zero-level game next month. These suggestions are perfect, especially on using level 1 adventures.
What do you mean no?

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”