dragora's dungeon

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

dragora's dungeon

Post by catseye yellow »

if i already own dd what i could expect to be new dcc-wise?
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: dragora's dungeon

Post by RevTurkey »

Hi, I just got hold of this module. I never saw the original...

It has the new style of presentation, with new cool looking new maps and such.
It also has a slimmer page count, so maybe they altered the content a bit?

It looks great, I really like the cover artwork.

I'd love to see some other older adventures given this treatment!

:)
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

RevTurkey wrote:It also has a slimmer page count, so maybe they altered the content a bit?
4e statblocks are considerable larger than DCC statblocks. I will leave it at that.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

RevTurkey wrote:It looks great, I really like the cover artwork.
Hah! It is the cover art that killed this module for me. I could never have such a provocative piece of work in my home. I can just see me blushing as I try to explain that cover to JediWife. Same goes for my gang who knows me as a Puritan out of time :wink:

(By the way, our new preacher is interested in trying his hand at the DCC-RPG! He's half my age and has never got to try a pen and paper RPG, only computer games.)
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Ah yes...she is slightly overdressed eh? :P

Good old busty fantasy sexy ladies and monsters!

I 'get' that this sort of art is now seen as very cliched and a bit of a hot potato for some folks milder sensibilities but personally I think it's fun and brilliantly executed work. Mr. Caldwell, I applaud your talent. I like it.

Anyway, the module looks good. Brilliant presentation.

:)
Playing since about 1980
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I did the conversion, and it is on par with the conversions for Black Pearl and Well of the Worm. Basically, all that is not DCC-ish needs to become DCC-ish. That was actually easier with the 4e module than the 3e modules in some respects, but I changed a few things around. A DCC dragon, for instance, should be a DCC dragon. Magic must be DCC magic. Creatures must exist in a DCC world. Tiamat was removed, and a more DCC-ish (IMHO, anyway) dragon god was added. Stat blocks shrank considerably, and some monsters needed the 4e flavour to be changed to a more Appendix N vibe....but not as many as you might think. Harley did a really fantastic job with this adventure!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Harley did a really fantastic job with this adventure!
Harley does a fantastic job with every module I've seen from him.

Hopefully there will be a reprint with a toned-down cover. Maybe a limited edition cover, or as they say in the comic book world, an alternate cover. :wink:
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Maybe you could buy it on pdf and print it out without the front cover? Or buy the module and just tape a different cover on it, like we used to do at school to protect our textbooks?

It strikes me as peculiar that some of the covers depicting creatures of chaos and violence are no problem but a woman showing a bit of skin is the corrupting influence?

Anyway, live and let live, not trying to tell you how to be :)
Playing since about 1980
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

My only issue with this module is that it doesn't "look" like a DCC module. All of the others have one art style with familar characters (Hugh, et al) and this one doesn't have that. When I saw it advertised I didn't know for certain that it was actually a DCC module, other than the high code number that it recieved.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

finarvyn wrote:My only issue with this module is that it doesn't "look" like a DCC module. All of the others have one art style with familar characters (Hugh, et al) and this one doesn't have that. When I saw it advertised I didn't know for certain that it was actually a DCC module, other than the high code number that it recieved.

Yep! I agree. The art looks nice but not true to the DCC style. Hope GG does to not continue on with this newer style :( Honestly, the art looks more mid 90's style than late 70s early 80s.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

well of worms also used non-DK cover illustration. so, if i already own dd module what would be the biggest draw to buy it again and not just amuse myself by converting. cool magic items? some new spell? something else.

hmmm... map by DK. i am sold.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Gents,

The reason for the different covers is they are re-issues from their 3rd edition and 4th edition incarnations.

The Dragora's Dungeon was originally published as the beginning module, M1, for a short lived Master Dungeon series Goodman Games released for 4th edition.

The Well of the Worm cover is a close up of part of DCC 29, which was a compilation of quite a few 1st level adventures for 3.5 D&D.

It would not, no matter how much I might suggest to Mr. Goodman otherwise, a good investment in money to pay to have new cover art made.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”