First Timer: Portal Under The Stars (advice?)

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

unterTboot
Ill-Fated Peasant

First Timer: Portal Under The Stars (advice?)

Post by unterTboot »

Edit: Just realized this might belong in the Judge's Forum... Please move as appropriate.

So, I purchased DCC RPG about a year ago intending to introduce some friends to a hobby I hadn't engaged with in about a decade... I finally got to play it last night with a different set of friends and not only did it rekindle my interest in the hobby, but I also tried on my GM hat for the first time. It was a roaring success. Here follows the account of that session:

4 players, three of them never having played a pen & paper RPG (the other a seasoned player), each controlling 4x 0-level peasants. 16 characters felt like a lot to handle for a brand new DM and I was nervous at first to be teaching so many people, but it's been smooth sailing the whole way. I chose to run Portal Under the Stars to get the PCs acclimated to role-playing and the game system (also because I'm new and figured it would be helpful to have some base content). I had pre-generated characters for everyone using Purple Sorcerer's excellent tool and printed them out to shuffle them so each player got a random selection of peasants to start. I had them name each one and pick an alignment and we ended up with quite a variety of names (including an Alchemist named Carl Sagan who can't seem to stay sober for more than a single round of combat). Basically I told them that the game mechanics are there to support us as we collaborate to tell a story - not the other way around. "Tell me what your character does and I'll tell you if you need to worry about any game rules."

I altered the beginning a bit and learned my first lesson: never introduce an NPC you can't afford to have killed. :lol: After a variety of attempts to break down the door (one by a PC named 'Hodor'), the meek halfling with a negative STR mod flings it open - and is vaporized by the trap. Only one fully impaled by the spears, which I had delayed by rolling a d% for every person to enter the room and triggered the throwers all at once if the roll was higher than the last. At this point, I messed up and accidentally described to them the room with the gazing pool instead of the fire-spitting statue... No harm, just rejiggerd by swapping the rooms, putting a door at the far end of the pool, and making the far door of the scorched room lead to the stairs down. We traded two peasants for two crystal statues before they discovered they were basically harmless. A few gems pried out of the floor and on to the next room (pool has just buckled).

Here's one bit I think I kind of messed up on and would appreciate input from more seasoned GMs:
During the fight, we had a player who tried to invoke some sort of magic using the hex doll carried by his halfling gypsy (for the second time this session). On a natural 1 I decided that the doll got too hot to hold and he started hearing a demonic voice gibbering in his head. After the gypsy drops it, another PC picks up the doll, exciting the voices in his head and so the gypsy pleads with the character to drop it. Being a lawful character (who had played very nicely with his fellow peasants so far) we would hope they would simply comply... The PC chose instead to stab the doll. So, being that we're dealing with some lesser demon and a character going directly against their alignment, I thought some sort of potential cruelty appropriate. I figured I would make the weapon catch fire and give him a Ref save (10) to let go in time to avoid anything unpleasant. Failed the Ref throw. Okay, so seems logical to do a Will save when wrestling with an other-worldly being. PC rolls a nat 1 with a -2 Will mod...... Only had 1HP left so I made his death quite spectacular and all seemed entertained, but I wonder if I even should have gone down this path.

We ended the session after they activated the fire-spewing statue with two flaming halflings running for the pool, a large group of characters standing in a doorway with the statue pointed at them, and a drunk alchemist named Carl Sagan face down (but unharmed) in the middle of the scorched room. Everyone enjoyed the game and their introduction to RPGs so we continue next week!

5 fatalities in 16 total peasants.

Concrete questions for my elders:
  • How do you deal with characters going against alignment (and do you bother with any consequences at 0-level)?
  • To what extent would you allow this kind of roleplay for a character trying to invoke some non-terrestrial being based on a vague background?
  • The group spent a lot of time digging gems out of the doors and floor and telling each other to get hands off their treasure. This seems like it could get annoying in short order... Thoughts on whether/how I should deal with this?
  • Seems to me like knowledge/inspection rolls should be made by the DM and hidden from the players in order to affect meaningful crits (success OR failure). Is this common practice?
  • I've been seeking out GM resources all over the place but if anyone has any favorites I'd love to hear about them. (Gnome Stew seems the only consolidated resource I've found.)
If you've made it this far down the page: thanks for reading! Looking forward to engaging the community here as I delve into DCC. :)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: First Timer: Portal Under The Stars (advice?)

Post by Raven_Crowking »

unterTboot wrote:How do you deal with characters going against alignment (and do you bother with any consequences at 0-level)?
First off, congratulations on choosing a great game, and it sounds like you had a lot of fun, which is what is most important.

I don't make zeroes pick an alignment until they reach level 1 or some alignment-based event occurs. In any event, I don't think that you handled the issue poorly at all. Was everyone entertained? If the hex doll was a conduit to Something Else, then that Something Else can appear in future adventures (either through another conduit, or directly). In any event, you telegraphed that it was dangerous to play with.....

One of the core ideas in DCC is that character Luck is affected by supernatural beings, and that the beings which share your alignment look out for you. When you act your alignment, they do so more. When you act against your alignment, they do so less. So, you can play around with the character's Luck scores as they make supernatural enemies and allies.
To what extent would you allow this kind of roleplay for a character trying to invoke some non-terrestrial being based on a vague background?
As much as you/they are willing to engage in. The DCC universe is filled with patrons and gods waiting for the unwary, which can be made to do their bidding. And a few that are truly helpful as well. Reading the Appendix N fiction should help for ideas. In any event, the general rule should be that occupations are there to differentiate these characters, and you should allow the players to make use of them in any way that makes sense to you.
The group spent a lot of time digging gems out of the doors and floor and telling each other to get hands off their treasure. This seems like it could get annoying in short order... Thoughts on whether/how I should deal with this?
I would let the players sort that out; it is not your job to tell them how to play their characters. BUT if you know that they are going to squabble like that over treasure, I would consider taking advantage of it. There are a few adventures out there which offer the chance to squabble over treasure at their climax, or in the immediate aftermath thereof, where greed wars with survival.
Seems to me like knowledge/inspection rolls should be made by the DM and hidden from the players in order to affect meaningful crits (success OR failure). Is this common practice?
Knowledge, no. Inspection, yes. But I do not use crits for these rolls; there is neither automatic success nor automatic failure based on the roll (although there may be based on the modifier).
I've been seeking out GM resources all over the place but if anyone has any favorites I'd love to hear about them. (Gnome Stew seems the only consolidated resource I've found.)
ravencrowking.blogspot.ca

Any of the blogs linked to from there contain things worth reading (IMHO).
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Brock Samson
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Brock Samson »

Nice session report! My most recent group also had lost 5 out of 16 at that point... We ended with 4 survivors!

I will take a shot at these...
unterTboot wrote: How do you deal with characters going against alignment (and do you bother with any consequences at 0-level)?
At 0-level, I don't worry too much about it. I like how you handled it, though. In general, I keep alignment very much in the background, more of a flavor thing for players to have fun with. Clerics are a bit more of an exception in terms of deity disapproval, but beyond that, I play it pretty loose.
unterTboot wrote: To what extent would you allow this kind of roleplay for a character trying to invoke some non-terrestrial being based on a vague background?
I totally would, I think the backgrounds are there for exactly that reason. One of the things I really like about DCC RPG is that it allows for the bizarre and supernatural even at low-level play. And I will factor this into knowledge checks, in some cases even foregoing a dice roll.
unterTboot wrote: The group spent a lot of time digging gems out of the doors and floor and telling each other to get hands off their treasure. This seems like it could get annoying in short order... Thoughts on whether/how I should deal with this?
Definitely tell them treasure will be divided at the end of the game. No point wasting time when half of them will be dead by the end of the adventure! :D If multiple players want an item with a more immediate function (weapon or armor), settle it with a d20, highest roll wins.
unterTboot wrote: Seems to me like knowledge/inspection rolls should be made by the DM and hidden from the players in order to affect meaningful crits (success OR failure). Is this common practice?
Agree with Raven_Crowking... Hide inspection rolls only. I do not apply crits/fumbles for rolls against a DC. Well, maybe I will add some flavor if they roll a 1, just to taunt them a little.
unterTboot wrote: I've been seeking out GM resources all over the place but if anyone has any favorites I'd love to hear about them. (Gnome Stew seems the only consolidated resource I've found.)[/list]
I assume you mean guidance for judging games rather than adventure ideas. The Spellburn podcast can be very useful for a GM - the mailbag segment especially.
unterTboot
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by unterTboot »

Thanks to both of you for your opinions. As I'm just getting back into this it's a WIP trying to roll myself into the/a community and your thoughts are much appreciated.

@Raven_Crowking - Your blog is very interesting. I've spent the last couple evenings digging through it and I'm finding it helpful. I may also be adopting your house rules for luck as I found the halfling and thief luck regen rules to be a bit forgiving - but maybe it makes more sense in play. I think I'll play the first game vanilla and see how it goes.

@Brock Samson - Thanks also for your tip about the Spellburn podcast; I hadn't heard of it but I'll definitely be checking it out now!

The last time I played a pen & paper RPG was 3rd ed. D&D, so fortunately the only game mechanic that's really new to me is Luck. I've been reading a bit about how others have played it and it seems like it's something I'll need to work into my players too since none of us really know how to use it. :)

Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to read & respond. :) Our second session starts in about 30min: "Peasant Hunting Episode II".

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”