Frozen in Time = Fantastic sci-fi fun!

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Frozen in Time = Fantastic sci-fi fun!

Post by sniderman »

Just got Frozen in Time the other day, and it's become my favorite DCC adventure to date (and they're ALL fantastic, in fact). Frozen in Time has a real "Barrier Peaks" feel to it which is just a ton of fun for ref and players alike.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Frozen in Time = Fantastic sci-fi fun!

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I've run this as part of my World Tour, and it is a great module. I highly recommend it.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

Thanks so very much! FIT was a heck of a lot of fun to write and even more fun to playtest. I've had everything from full party wipe outs to groups that utterly triumphed over everything they encountered inside the Ghost Ice. FIT really demonstrates the "swingyness" of DCC and shows that Appendix N isn't just dudes with swords hacking away at wizards.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I need to pick this up as I bet it would be useful for Beedo's Black City campaign.
Sir Robilar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Robilar »

Would this be playable as a lvl 0 funnel in about 4-5 hours of play? I'm in need of a funnel for tomorrows session and consider getting this.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sir Robilar wrote:Would this be playable as a lvl 0 funnel in about 4-5 hours of play? I'm in need of a funnel for tomorrows session and consider getting this.
Yes.

Moreover, the Purple Sorcerer generator has an option for creating funnel characters for just this purpose. You can quickly generate some pregens and have at the fun.

I ran this at the Wizard's Cache in Toronto as part of the World Tour, and it was a LOT of fun. I ran it as a 0-level funnel, and it worked very, very well. Lots of fun details in the module, and a lot of fun things to explore/interact with, only some of which will kill you right away.

When I run a funnel, I give XP per encounter, so the characters levelled up near the end of the adventure. Which turned out to be lucky, because the cleric had to invoke divine favour to allow the party to escape a certain room after they destroyed the "key". I allowed the god's favour to turn a different "key" to gold to allow them to proceed. If you have read the module, you know of what I speak.

A very fun module. Lots of opportunity for mayhem to spontaneously arise.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Sir Robilar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sir Robilar »

Sounds great, thanks!

I just saw that Purple Sorcerer even has an option for Frozen in Time characters. Brilliant!

One more question: Did you change anything to the encounters for the funnel or leave it as it is?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I ran it "as is"; I saw no need to change anything.

SPOILER-ISH STUFF:

There are some variables (art) that I gave thought to ahead of time (and the players recognized some, but not all, of the pieces from their descriptions, which enhanced their appreciation of the adventure). If the group was all much younger, I would consider changing the robot on the cover to C3PO, but this wasn't a problem.

At the close of the adventure, the party raced to the edge, with the result that the module indicates. One PC survived, using the option that the module indicates. Everyone had a lot of fun. The survivor wasn't carrying the loot, which was buried under the Ghost Ice.

I would gladly run this adventure again.
SoBH pbp:

themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

I just ran this adventure today as my seventh session for the World Tour. Slaughtered just over 24 zeroes and everyone loved it! The only change I made was to add a crate full of Mark 3 Blasters in the Time-Pad Chamber.

Needless to say, these were the downfall of the party as the fumbles ensued in the use of those God-like weapons!!! One exploded delivering 19pts of damage and wiped out the party as well as setting off a chain reaction that allowed me to close out the session with quite a BANG!

I'm now planning on following this up with a DCC adventure to the Barrier Peaks! More Robots, Man-eating Plants, Blaster weapons, Vegepygmies and the Froghemoth!!! What could go wrong????

This adventure is my second fav adventure after Sailors!!!
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

Looks like I am running this for my next session this weekend. Any tip or hints to maximize its potential? Also, as a level 1 adventure with 6 level 1 PCs, can it be finished in a 4 hour session?
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Funny -- I ran it this weekend with a 0-level funnel leading up to it. The characters have just made it to the actual Frozen in Time part of the adventure, but everyone loved the caveman take.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Maxwell Luther
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Maxwell Luther »

I ran it with 3 Level 1 PCs and a half dozen Level 0 meatbags. It played out in about 3.5 hours. Those who didn't end up being killed by the robot, blown up by the malfunctioning blaster or being teleported into the past, all died in the end as the building collapsed in on them. Good times... :twisted:
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Raven_Crowking wrote:Lots of fun details in the module, and a lot of fun things to explore/interact with, only some of which will kill you right away.
:twisted:
bbarsh
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by bbarsh »

Read this one the other night. Mike hit a home run here. Classic vibe and a great back story. What he does is weave advanced tech into a swords and sorcery environment seamlessly. One of my favorite DCC adventures.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”