The spaces between - descriptions in published dungeons

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

The spaces between - descriptions in published dungeons

Post by Crimsontree »

I'm very impressed by the published adventures for DCC. One thing I have noticed is a lack of detail when it comes to descriptions of the corridors between rooms, the building materials used and the doors/doorways that link the rooms. Does anyone know of any online publications or resources which have descriptions of dungeon doors, building materials & corridors?
viruswithshoes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: The spaces between - descriptions in published dungeons

Post by viruswithshoes »

I've run into this problem too and it's not exclusive to DCC modules. I never notice it during a read through but as soon as I'm running the game I realize the characters are plodding through a featureless hallway that I just skipped past during prep.

This is where a few random details and dungeon "dressing" can do wonders. Perhaps there is a cool breeze, a strange smell or noise. Your players don't know there is really nothing here but throwing those red herrings out keeps them on their toes and wondering what the next step will bring. Congrats, You just created real-time gaming content out of almost nothing!

Here are some dungeon dressing resources:

http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isoma ... /index.cgi - This is a random gen from AD&D dungeon dressing appendix

Another great resource is Hack & Slash's Tricks, Empty Rooms, & Basic Trap
Design:
http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/201 ... -trap.html
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

Thanks for the links viruswithshoes. :) They'll be useful. I've got the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide for AD&D & Dungeoncraft for 3E. They should offer some ideas to fill in the missing areas.

I wonder how the authors of the DCC modules envisage these areas. How do they see the doors in their dungeons. Do they have handles, keyholes, hinges, extra metal for support etc. ?
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

Crimsontree wrote:Thanks for the links viruswithshoes. :) They'll be useful. I've got the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide for AD&D & Dungeoncraft for 3E. They should offer some ideas to fill in the missing areas.

I wonder how the authors of the DCC modules envisage these areas. How do they see the doors in their dungeons. Do they have handles, keyholes, hinges, extra metal for support etc. ?

My guess is you really do not need that much detail given to you in an adventure. DMs need to be creative and let that creativity pour out to the players. All Gods are creative... :wink:
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

MrHemlocks wrote:
Crimsontree wrote:Thanks for the links viruswithshoes. :) They'll be useful. I've got the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide for AD&D & Dungeoncraft for 3E. They should offer some ideas to fill in the missing areas.

My guess is you really do not need that much detail given to you in an adventure. DMs need to be creative and let that creativity pour out to the players. All Gods are creative... :wink:
Each DM is different. These things interest me & I noticed a lack if description with regards to the areas I mentioned. Of course, your view may vary. :)

I found this excellent article with plenty of food for thought.

http://blog2.moebiusadventures.com/2010 ... ot-a-door/
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

I'd also be interested in any thoughts on secret doors. What materials would be used to make them? Stone, wood, textile? Are they painted to look like stone or wood? Do they look, sound or feel different? If they are triggered, are they easy to reset? Is there also a mechanism on the other side of the door?
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Secret doors +1
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Crimsontree wrote:Does anyone know of any online publications or resources which have descriptions of dungeon doors, building materials & corridors?
Gary's 1st edition AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide has an abundance of tables which can be used to spice up otherwise boring sections of a dungeon. Sights, smells, random stuff to find, and so on. Not exactly online, but you ought to be able to find a copy easily enough.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

finarvyn wrote:
Crimsontree wrote:Does anyone know of any online publications or resources which have descriptions of dungeon doors, building materials & corridors?
Gary's 1st edition AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide has an abundance of tables which can be used to spice up otherwise boring sections of a dungeon. Sights, smells, random stuff to find, and so on. Not exactly online, but you ought to be able to find a copy easily enough.
Cheers. :) I've got one on my bookshelf. I bought it in Copenhagen last summer but haven't gotten round to reading it.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

You'd have to pay for it, but Raging Swan has it's Dungeon Dressing series.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”