family game night: Portal under the Stars

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

family game night: Portal under the Stars

Post by themightyeroc »

So my wife works third shift, and her nights off are Monday and Tuesday. She has been dying to get in on some of this DCC action and last night I thought lets do "Portal". Our players were the Wife, Daughter, and Uncle mike. I gave them each 3 zero level characters and the party was:

Wife:
1) Filth, halfling vagrant
2) Blood, soldier
3) Star, astrologer

Daughter:
1) Envy, woodcutter
2) Emma (envy's sister), radish farmer
3) Dumbow, wainwright

Uncle Mike:
1) Paul, woodcutter
2) Not, orphan
3) Leshae, elven forester

The star trap on the entry door almost killed the twin sisters Envy & Emma but they made their saves for half damage. The spear holding statues brought the group to a halt, until Filth could stand it no longer and entered the room and promptly got a spear in the skull! Awesome use of Dumbow's grapple hook had the group pull Filth's body out of the room then they threw the body back in the room 3x to trigger the other statues.
The moving statue proved to be the death of not the orphan when he zigged when he should have zagged and was burnt to a crisp! Blood suffered only minor burns and stuffed iron rations into the hole where the fire blasts came from. Of course by that time it had run out anyway but they don't know that.
The demon snake was endlessly grilled by the twins and Star over why it was in the room and where had it come from and what did it eat, etc, etc. Finally the group rushed the snake and my dice failed me, poor Ssssiiisssurrraggg fell to the group and Envy scooped up the horn! Five of the clay tablets were placed in Dumbows pushcart. Star believes she personally will be involved with the return of the sky-people when the "stars" align.
The piles of bones were all quickly dispatched and only very minor wounds were suffered.
The group decided this was a good stopping point on a school night and look forward to pressing on next week.

I rolled terribly for the traps, and monsters tonight. The group is very wittled down though and when they continue I think we may end up with a TPK. My daughter seems to roll amazing zero levels, all three of hers have really good stats and between 4-5 hps each!!!
Overall, my wife is having a blast and I think Star is her favored Zero, as she role-played her a lot throughout the session.

look for more next week!
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: family game night: Portal under the Stars

Post by cthulhudarren »

I wish I could get my wife to play any RPG.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

cthulhudarren wrote:I wish I could get my wife to play any RPG.
Mine played a few times with me and the kids, then declared it "silly." Girls just don't understand.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

ragboy wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:I wish I could get my wife to play any RPG.
Mine played a few times with me and the kids, then declared it "silly." Girls just don't understand.
mine enjoys rolling dice and killing things.
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

The kicker is my wife will not read any rulebooks. Forgets what dice are for what, and even which dice are which. Constantly asks "Why is my character here again?". Our daughter was pointing out the correct dice for her. Yet when she gets into a character she likes watch out! She really loves playing for the social aspect never really cares too much about the actual "game" being played.

Oh and she can never find anything on a character sheet. Always forgets to add modifiers from abilitie scores to die rolls...
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”