Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: using B4 The Lost City for DCC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:07 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Hey has anyone used B4 in their game? I'm looking at using it, but it has references to Tiers below 5, but I don't have any maps for those. Was this something the DM was supposed to sketch out and place? Just curious.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

Post subject: Re: using B4 The Lost City for DCC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:45 am 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Most of the B series that I can recall, and a few modules here and there in other series, included areas for expansion to help get the DM "in training" into the idea of actively building their own campaigns.

I always liked those areas, but I've never read B4 so I don't know if you have a case of encouraged expansion or a missing map - depends on whether you have detailed room descriptions or not. If yes, missing map, and if all you have is vague "this passage leads to the fifth level," you have expansion potential.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:12 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

There's definitely room numbers and stuff listed, but no maps that I can see in my copies of either B4 or the super module B1-9. It looks like this was intentional... left to the DM to map out. I think?

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:11 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

There seems to be plenty of chatter on this subject when googling "missing map in b4 lost city"... Since I don't have the module itself, I can't verify which if any of it is useful or accurate -- but at any rate it seems you are not alone... 8)

Gnome Boy (a.k.a. "Jon") • DCC play-tester @ DDC 35, Feb 2011. • Beta DL 2111, 7:00 AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since 1977 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters - Holds the power to play gnomes at will!

Here Be DCC Monsters...

General Yoros, Warrior, Str 13, Agl 8 (10), Stm 17, Per 13, Int 11, Lck 8; Law, HP 39, AC 17, R+2, F+4, W+2, band/shld, warhammer, longsword, longbow, pitchfork

Han Dee, (Weaver) Neutral Thief, Str 10, Agi 13, Stm 11, Per 11, Int 15, Lck 14, AC 13 (Leather), HP 25, Luck Die d6, Backstab 3, Sneak Silently 10, Hide In Shadows 9, Pick Pocket 10, Climb Sheer 10, Pick Lock 9, Find Trap 9, Disable Trap 9, Forge Doc 10, Disguise 3, Read Lang 5, Handle Poison 3, Cast Scroll d14+2, birth augur (Born under the loom) +1 to all skill checks (including thief skills), Banepicks (auto pick lock/disable trap, but lose 1d3 random ability loss, if a 3 then 1 pt is perm)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:33 pm 

My copy of B4 does have maps for Tiers 6 and below, as well as the cross-section and the map of the underground city.

I actually tried using B4 with DCC this past summer. It didn't go terribly well, but we only used it for a couple of sessions. It was hard to justify the search for food and water when the 0-levels were hauling around chickens and sides of beef. For that reason and also the amount of combat in the dungeon, I would recommend using B4 after characters have gained a class level. The fire beetles and stirges wiped out at least 4 characters each.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:57 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Hi beermotor,

Indeed, the published material ends with tier 5 as far as the cartography is concerned in b4 if you are looking at the common PDF! You are correct, the last of the room descriptions do not end in tier 5. Several paragraphs are included in b4 catering to the creative talents of the 'expert DM' and furthermore Tom Moldvay outlined numbered room descriptions of the monsters and room specifics per area for the dungeons leading from 6 to 10. Including room 100 the Lair of Zargon. ( I assure you all I share no resemblance...) And then beyond to the Underground City. (although I'm not sure why it's THE underground city, as there seems to be many of these terrible places - haha....)
Rumor has it many physical copies that have been in the possession of a single owner do not have the maps either. Yet other owners maintain their copy came with an unnumbered B/W fold out between pages 14-15. This suggests a few things; more than one printing, mass subterfuge, or theft of the fold out before sale. Alas, the lost maps of the lost city are rumored to be covered in Dragon 315, and 142, and available from Paizo... I can't validate any of that however, but I bet it is worth looking into... What I can, and will do is give you this handy link to a digital recreation!

Enjoy, for what it's worth. I hope you'll find what you're looking for.

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~alanderekjones/ylaruam-b4.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:15 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Yeah I found those online, and I also found what looks to be poor quality scans of some of the missing B/W foldouts, including a side/cut away view of the underworld and underground city. I think I got that stuff by searching around on ENWorld. I'll probably use the maps as a launch point and sketch my own out.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:33 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

Hmm, this has me wondering. I bought a stack of old D&D modules a while back and The Lost City was among them. I'll have to check mine when I get home. I've been toying with using all those modules with DCC. None of my players have ever played them before so what is old can be new again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 pm 

My copy of the module has the maps between page 14 and 15. They cover tiers 6-10 and also have a cross-section view and an isometric view of the city. The maps are perforated, so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of copies are missing the maps. Contact me via PM or email if you need a copy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:26 am 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

This thread over at Dragonsfoot talks about the same issue and links to some maps that were recreated by one of the users. They don't have a copy of the underground city/cavern though. Might be useful to get you started at least:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 15&t=48508