Converting 3rd edition Skills and Feats to DCC RPG

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Converting 3rd edition Skills and Feats to DCC RPG

Post by AQuebman »

Hello All,

My party is pushing up past 4th level and I can't find any modules that have been released past 4th level for DCC RPG. It seems like it might be easier to convert 3.5 then to try and up the power of some lower level DCC RPG modules.
So I started taking a look at converting some Goodman Games 3rd edition DCC modules to be played with DCC RPG and I was wondering how other players were handling the skills and feats when doing this conversion? I'm more just looking for ideas from various DM's to push me in the right direction.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Converting 3rd edition Skills and Feats to DCC RPG

Post by TheNobleDrake »

All of this is, obviously, my pure opinion:

Feats - drop 'em in all cases that the feat is not something that grants an entirely new power or ability, such as keeping Awesome Blow and dropping everything else. Those feats that are kept should just be considered special traits of the creature in question.

Skills - drop 'em. The DCC skill system covers everything just fine without having to track individual skills.
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Do you try and write out a mechanic for any special abilities granted via feats like awesome blow?
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Keep the PCs the same. Don't convert them. Convert the rest on the fly.

For combat, since NPCs and Monsters don't play by the same rules they could easily have "unique" abilities that mechanically function just like 3e Feats. Use their stats AS-IS, it'll be fine. Wing the feats if you dont' have the books, but you probably have the books or have them memorized.

With skill checks, use the same DCs, but use the DCC RPG rules, and again, convert on the fly. For example, lets say the party comes across a CR 4 trap. Is has a Search DC 17, and a Disable DC 23. When triggered the floor opens up, the party falls in, it takes 3 rounds to fill with water, then sharks get let in.

If the party "checks for traps, secret doors, etc." I'd let Elves and Dwarves get to check with a d20 + Int Mod, and a Robber (4th Level Neutral Thief) gets to check with a d20 +Int Mod +1. Everyone else, d10 + Int Mod. If they find it, they still have to "disable" it. The Robber can disable it (or know how to get around it, role-play whatever makes the most sense) with a d20 +Agi Mod +1, the rest can "try" with a d10 +Agility Mod (not likely, but don't forget Luck.)

You basically have to use judgement on what Backgrounds (and Classes, I include classes) encompass what Skills. Someone may make a cheat-sheet of some sort, but it's pretty obvious. I do it on the fly. Basically if their background supports them being "skilled" in it, they use a d20, if they're not, use a d10. Apply ability score mods as appropriate. Those are the rules as written, and they work REALLY REALLY WELL.

I can't think of any other 3e rules, but if you come across something, I can do my best to help "convert" it.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

AQuebman wrote: My party is pushing up past 4th level and I can't find any modules that have been released past 4th level for DCC RPG.
Beyond the Black Gate is a level 5 DCC adventure that may be of interest to you. I found it to be very entertaining and enjoyed playing it a lot.
I agree with reverenddak in doing skill checks on the go.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

Flexi wrote:
AQuebman wrote: My party is pushing up past 4th level and I can't find any modules that have been released past 4th level for DCC RPG.
Beyond the Black Gate is a level 5 DCC adventure that may be of interest to you. I found it to be very entertaining and enjoyed playing it a lot.
I agree with reverenddak in doing skill checks on the go.
I'm surprised you're party has leveled so quickly. My campaign has been going for 1.5 years, and only one of them has made 3rd. I'm also a bit of a tough Judge. Also, due to the swingie nature of DCC RPG, all the 4th level adventures (#71, 73 & 74) should still be able to provide a challenge, and it isn't hard to bump up encounters.

Also the 2011 and 2012 FREE RPG DAY modules have 5th Level adventures in them. And Crawl #4, The Tainted Forest Near Thorum, is a 5th level adventure (shameless plug.)
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Thanks guys all those tips will be really valuable.

My party is that high because when they have died I havent made them restart at 0. Is that what most of you guys do in the event of death? I was also curious to see the high level of the game and see how it runs. I must say its surprisingly smooth.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Mid levels DCC (4-7) are really rough to judge when converting. In 3.5 that could be 8-14th level BUT in general the DCC characters are both more powerful in raw ability and less powerful in magic and hit points/saves ect..

I normally just eyeball it and half the monsters hit points or what have you. Sometimes though I just want to slam them so I give em a monster as is.

I wouldn't give them feats. Really they don't need em. They have abilities and resources that 3.5 characters never dreamed of.
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by AQuebman »

Gameogre wrote:Mid levels DCC (4-7) are really rough to judge when converting. In 3.5 that could be 8-14th level BUT in general the DCC characters are both more powerful in raw ability and less powerful in magic and hit points/saves ect..

I normally just eyeball it and half the monsters hit points or what have you. Sometimes though I just want to slam them so I give em a monster as is.

I wouldn't give them feats. Really they don't need em. They have abilities and resources that 3.5 characters never dreamed of.
Yeah my group has a very glass cannon feel where they can explode on something and end it quick or if they roll badly it can become a disaster quickly. I would like at some point to run a DCC game through the Red hand of doom adventure path. Im thinking 3rd level party if I decide to do that though as you mentioned thats somewhat of a crapshoot.

Also I think you may have been sligjtly confused I dont mean give feats to players I mean the feats the monsters have. Most of them are folded into monster stats and the rest I can freelance like special abilities. Half HP sounds good too otherwise I think the war of attrition will be too much for the party to handle.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

reverenddak wrote:I'm surprised you're party has leveled so quickly. My campaign has been going for 1.5 years, and only one of them has made 3rd. I'm also a bit of a tough Judge.
Like AQuebman, I don't restart PCs at level 0 and I am also a very easygoing DM. I generally find that players will find all kinds of inventive ways to get killed themselves, without my help! :)

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”