Sailors on the Starless Sea - Session Success

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Sailors on the Starless Sea - Session Success

Post by Skars »

I ran Sailors on the Starless Sea this past Friday and it was a real hoot! I had 4 players at the table and 2 online, each with 3 level 0 schlepps. Some players are old hands at rpgs but most are novice or brand new to the idea. We rolled up characters in pretty short order and were off storming the ruins of the fallen chaos lords. The 0-level character worksheet linked from these forums really helped the process along, I had printed them and 3 character sheets on 4x6 index cards for each player.

Prior to the session I sent each player some rumors from the module as well as some from the Isle of the Unknown campaign setting they are destined for. Some of them shred the whispers and rumors with their partners while others didn't...I think my favorite moment with these was when one player warned the other about the well and was ignored. :) The bugger managed to live but with some lovely corruption for time spent hanging from the chain.

They had fortunately done well with the encounters along the way and while there were deaths, some lived to level just prior to entering the starless sea. otherwise the chaos beasty in the mirky depths would have been the end of them for sure.

A clever ruse and using the robes they were able to ascend the ziggurat and engage the effigy. Having some first level characters made this much easier at first but the 22 accompanying beastmen were still a challenge. Dispatching the effigy and bringing down the roof broke the morale of those uglies and it was bedlam until they made it back to the ship and off into the unknown...

Next they will have a brief introduction to the dream realms of the sleeping God (AL3) and wakeup with a busted up ship outside the rather peculiar town of Pembrooktonshire placed within the Isle of the Unknown.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”