How could GRONAN kill the Grue yet be killed by a blob?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

How could GRONAN kill the Grue yet be killed by a blob?

Post by ragboy »

Farewell, sweet Cronan. We barely knew ye.

Love the new module. Still reading through it, but looks great.
Last edited by ragboy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: How could Cronan kill the Grue yet be killed by a blob?

Post by michaelcurtis »

He ran into the most fiendish monster of them all: Doug Kovacs!

Doug's taking out all of the band one-by-one as part of a nefarious scheme.

Glad you're digging the adventure so far.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

Nay, it is only the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning for Gronan!
That blob attaching itself to his arm is the the chaos blade Ruin, which will help him crush his enemies, drive them before him and hear the lamentation of their women!

I still miss Chuck Plimpton.

I enjoyed Emirikol Was Framed! Several PCs fell victim to the traps in this one. Jolly good stuff!
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

I finished reading it last night -- now I see that it's the blade of Ruin.

Really like the module overall -- especially that the map and rooms are not linear. I did think it was funny that all of the DCC modules thus far have generated questions about some confusion about the map. And yet, the forum is strangely silent about this mess of worms! :D
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Colin

Post by Colin »

ragboy wrote:I did think it was funny that all of the DCC modules thus far have generated questions about some confusion about the map. And yet, the forum is strangely silent about this mess of worms! :D
Start a thread about it then; if no one is talking about something you think they should be talking about, then start the conversation yourself. :) Many folks are probably back aways in terms of how many modules they've got through, others may not have noticed, and some may not care. Raising the issue could certainly be helpful, however, if only so any potential confusion is highlighted beforehand.

Colin
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Colin wrote:
Start a thread about it then; if no one is talking about something you think they should be talking about, then start the conversation yourself. :)
I haven't had a problem interpreting the maps on any of the adventures -- just thought it was funny that no one had raised the issue on this one, with all it's crazy pointers across the page to other levels, etc. Sorry, sometimes the hilarity is just for me.
AKA Paul Wolfe
My Gamer Profile
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Gronan vs. The Grue

Mike's compliments drew me in to the conversation. Yes, I regard being called a monster as a compliment.
Blame the maps on Mike with this one....and I think confusion was the point so on second thought don't blame him..thank him. Thanks Mike.

I wanted to set the record straight though it is one of those things that matters only to a very select, very special few.
His true name is actually "Gonan". With a "G"
I had to look at the illustration again but I can see how the way I printed the name can be misread.

The name was was determined at his first appearance on the EE cover, but of coarse the band member names are often withheld until they appear in the big "someone gets killed " spread. In early sketches he didn't have the mohawk and he was very much just Conan. "Let's make him a little different somehow" said Joe Goodman. In my mind, I lifted the mohawk idea more from the film Taxi Driver than what I would call "real punk" just to make a mental bridge with Joe's point of view. I know Joe doesn't listen to much Black Flag, Crass, Operation Ivy, or Naked Raygun, but I do. I also understand how this distinction might leave you scratching your head but it seems important to me.

I guess it doesn't really matter that much whether we call him Gronan or Cronan because the same dumb joke remains intact. It seems only dumb jokes are allowed when it comes to "the band". If anyone asks if it is officially "Gronan" or "Cronan" I say that person can squirm. The official answer is " Yes. No,... maybe, I don't know.....what do you think?" This should also be the official answer to many DCC RPG related questions.

Smokey Dopeson, said this in Gathers No Moss Magazine back in the day:

"..everyone knows the sound of the band changed when Gonan was the drummer. This change was Especially notable after Nilha took over playing Bass, during Chuck Plimpton's hiatus in Nifilheim. Among fans there is still a split over whether it was for the better or worse that Gronan had ever become involved in the band. Many believe Shana had been calling the shots the whole time. ..."
"

DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
Colin

Post by Colin »

I have an urge to create a terrible creature called a SCAVOK now. See, it even sounds like a decent monstrous name. ;)

Colin

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”