Larger modules to come?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

K Peterson
Ill-Fated Peasant

Larger modules to come?

Post by K Peterson »

Has Goodman Games, or any third party publishers, made any announcements/comments about publishing larger modules? Higher page-count than the ~14-25 page modules we've seen over the past year? Perhaps covering a range of levels over the course of the module?

Don't get me wrong; I've got a half dozen of the 'smaller' modules now, and really enjoy them. But I wonder if anyone will 'go bigger' and publish something closer to a mini-campaign or 'megamodule'? Too adventure pathy, and inappropriate for DCC?
Coleston the Cavalier
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Larger modules to come?

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

I haven't announced it yet, but I have a large, high level module scheduled for fall of this year. It details an " adventure path" (in the old, Temple of Elemental Evil style") in a distant, chaotic land ruled by a demonic, priest-king. I do not have a name for it yet.

BHP will coninue to put out lots of little DCC RPG modules each year, but we will also release a large one once or twice a year too.
John Adams
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

My current DCC remaster project of The Haunting of Larvik Island is at about 14K words (most of the 24 page mods are about 10K words.) It's currently at 24 pages and that's without me adding the art, maps and license back in. I've also reached out to the original artist to commission a couple more Player Handout illustrations so I hope to get at least two more of those.

Similarly, the sequel module "Larvik 2" is currently at 24K words and I'm only about 4/5 ths of the way through that one, so I suspect it will be somewhere around 28-38K words when I'm done and about 44 pages once art and maps are included. If I can get "Larvik 2" published in the second half of the year I'd be a happy man.

And then finally, there's "Larvik 3" which I haven't started writing yet, but I have the outline for (my brother and I wrote the outline for the Larvik 2, Larvik 3 storyline at the same time.)

So, while sadly each module is being released close to a year apart, when it's finally done you should be able to play, Frawgs, Larvik 1, Larvik 2, Larvik 3 as one campaign. (Ironically, Frawgs is technically Larvik 1.5, but as Frawgs is for 0-level, and Larvik 1 is for Level 1 through 2, DMs will just have to get clever.)

That's the intent. I wrote these modules with "Desert of Desolation" (I-series) as the inspiration of how I wanted the story to flow.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Scribe on, adventure writers! Everyone even ravencrow... he needs to get the Shanthopal setting written.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

I like the shorter modules best. I have enough trouble running the existing catalog in 3, sometimes 4 sessions. Maybe you need a megadungeon thing like Barrowmaze to have sort of "nightly excursions" or what have you.
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

beermotor wrote:I like the shorter modules best. I have enough trouble running the existing catalog in 3, sometimes 4 sessions.
I also have two story ideas which I think, with judicious editing, I could cram into 1K stories which I would like to submit into an issue of Rev. Dak's Crawl, but I haven't started writing them yet because I'm trying to stay focused on finishing Larvik.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

ThickSkullAdv wrote:
beermotor wrote:I like the shorter modules best. I have enough trouble running the existing catalog in 3, sometimes 4 sessions.
I also have two story ideas which I think, with judicious editing, I could cram into 1K stories which I would like to submit into an issue of Rev. Dak's Crawl, but I haven't started writing them yet because I'm trying to stay focused on finishing Larvik.
Please do submit adventures to Crawl. The previous one was one of my favorite issues.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer looks to be 45 pages (it's going up for approval this month). But, it's a collection of encounters and short adventures, not a full-blown adventure unto itself. And, it's a spread across levels...
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Eagerly awaiting ItPotSS (cool acronym too heh)...

"IT POTSSSSSSSS :mrgreen: "

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”