Goodman Games
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/

Adventure in a pinch
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=42238
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Zargon [ Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Adventure in a pinch

Greetings all!

I am wondering if anyone can help me find an adventure to run for my DCC group tomorrow (Sunday 10/7). I ordered a set of modules to use however with the overburdened USPS system, my order hasn't arrived in time, much to my sadness...

I looked over the forum for something that I might be able to use, say player generated, but my search didn't come up successful. I'm new so I'm shying away from winging a game, and last weekend the party played through the portal under the stars, so I'm not able to use that tomorrow. So are there any cool alternatives you can think of for use in a pinch? Thanks in advance.

Author:  themightyeroc [ Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

If you have a copy, I would use "B2 Keep on the Borderlands" or "B1 In search of the unknown". Really any 1st level module will do from Basic DnD to 3.5. Even if they've played those modules I'm sure it has been years and you can swap out the monsters. Plus they haven't been to the caves of Chaos DCC style!

Author:  Zargon [ Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

I do actually, and that's a very wonderful idea... I had set that module to the wayside, as I am in the beginning stages of building the 'dungeon' from dental plaster castings. But for a setting proving to be timeless, I think adventurers will find themselves returning again and again. :D

Thank you for the idea themightyeroc, it makes me wonder if there are any DCC player mod versions floating about. Time for another search...

Author:  bholmes4 [ Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

This is a great freebie though it may take over your campaign if your players want to keep exploring: http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.ca/201 ... lease.html

B1 is a good suggestion I would think for DCC (if you have a copy). Some 3rd party ones off the top of my head:

Tomb of the Irongod
Barrowmaze
Shadowbrook Manor
Purple Worm Graveyard
Pod Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (might be too hard though DCC characters are tougher than equivalent level D&D characters).

Author:  Crimsontree [ Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

bholmes4 wrote:
This is a great freebie though it may take over your campaign if your players want to keep exploring: http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.ca/201 ... lease.html

B1 is a good suggestion I would think for DCC (if you have a copy). Some 3rd party ones off the top of my head:

Tomb of the Irongod
Barrowmaze
Shadowbrook Manor
Purple Worm Graveyard
Pod Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (might be too hard though DCC characters are tougher than equivalent level D&D characters).



The download link doesn't work.

Author:  RevTurkey [ Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

Hi, just a thought..

If you can get your PC/Laptop/Tablet to the table or have a loaded printer then you could always go to rpgnow and download an adventure?

There are several for DCC by Goodman Games and some from Purple infested publishers :D

You might also consider Goodman Games earlier pre DCC RPG Dcc Adventures?

Cheers.

Author:  Zargon [ Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I'm really grateful for all the feedback. I hadn't even thought of the rpg-now idea, I'm so used to using hard copy materials...

Each of you has been really helpful :) Have a good day all!

Regards!

Author:  bholmes4 [ Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

Crimsontree wrote:
The download link doesn't work.


Sorry I knew I should have tested the link. Guess they took it down as they intend to publish it now.

Author:  skathros [ Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

Have you checked out DYSON"S DELVE ? It's free. It's fun. I've run it with Labyrinth Lord, Tunnels & Trolls, Treasure Awaits!, and Legendary Lives.

Author:  Zargon [ Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

In response to WG13 Castle of the Mad Archmage by Joseph Bloch, I have been wondering what has happened to the intent to publish, and or make available again on mediafire. There is this note however; http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/search/label/Castle%20of%20the%20Mad%20Archmage

Ok so, Black Blade is going to publish it, according to an arrangement made in April of 2011, they intend to have it available by Christmas of 2011. http://www.black-blade-publishing.com/default.aspx Am I missing something? I'd really like to get a look at this megadungeon.

Author:  bholmes4 [ Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.ca/201 ... pdate.html

Apparently if they don't publish it by May 2013 they lose the rights to publish it. So it's still in the works...

Author:  ragboy [ Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

skathros wrote:
Have you checked out DYSON"S DELVE ? It's free. It's fun. I've run it with Labyrinth Lord, Tunnels & Trolls, Treasure Awaits!, and Legendary Lives.


Cool! I've been nabbing and re-purposing his maps for years!

Author:  Zargon [ Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

ragboy wrote:
skathros wrote:
Have you checked out DYSON"S DELVE ? It's free. It's fun. I've run it with Labyrinth Lord, Tunnels & Trolls, Treasure Awaits!, and Legendary Lives.


Cool! I've been nabbing and re-purposing his maps for years!


Wow, these maps, and the short descriptions are really pretty cool. Definitely a nice find for me! Thanks for posting it...

Author:  Zargon [ Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

So, coming from the d100 Warhammer world across the pond, I've always peered into the d20 camp attempting to gain a greater and thorough understanding of d20 mechanics, and stat blocks. Having recently fallen in love with DCC RPG, I feel I've been able to enter this new territory, and am now beginning to learn the d20 language out of necessity. However, as I'm learning I find I could use a few clarifications.

For example I'm looking at using some 3pp products to add sandbox features to my growing collection of GG DCC modules. Recently I was perusing the pdf of Dyson's Delve Deluxe. On page 12 I'm looking once again at an array of d&d style algorithms. I'll use the Manticore for specifics using bold text to highlight bits of personal quandary. Manticore (AC 4, HD: 6+1, hp: 21, ATT: 1d4/1d4/2d4 or
spikes, Mv: 120/180 (40/60), Sv: F6, M: 9)
Firstly, I'm looking at the AC of 4, and I'm assuming that this stat is used in a descending armor class system. I assume that if I subtract 4 from either 19 or 20 (not sure which) that I will have a DCC appropriate (ascending) value?
Secondly, Hit Dice. Here I see 6+1, and I'm not really sure what that means. I'm grasping that Hit Dice are something of monster levels, and that this sucker has at least 6? However the hp is only 21, that seems low but maybe it isn't...
Next I see the acronym ATT, I don't know if ATT stands for something or is short for something, or what that could be, but this looks like attacks, three of them, all using a d4 and the third using two d4's at once. This seems a bit odd as well for something like a Manticore.
Moving on, the next part says or spikes. But there is nothing mentioned in the text telling how to adjudicate the damage coming from this guy's 'spikes' haha, but I bet they hurt. - or poison, that would be lovely.
Mv, movement. Followed by a number of values, travel by wing or paw. But, why is a third of the movement score listed with the whole value? Not sure about that.
Sv, Saves most likely, F for fortitude? What does the 6 imply? and what about other types of Saves?
And lastly, "M"... Does "M" represent morale or something different? And what are the implications of M9?

In comparison, I see the Manticore stats listed on page 421 in the DCC rulebook, there are still some questions I have there as well. The HD are 6d8+6 (is that hp?), what does SP stand for exactly? I can infer the meaning but I didn't see it in print. I could write over the stats with actual DCC stats, but it may be helpful to know what the author intended for future conversions, as I look over d20 related works.

I'm very appreciative of any clarity in these matters, as I mentioned I'm new to the game, but really enjoying it, and my enthusiasm is passing onto my local group of players. With your help I'll be able to better educate my group and expand the DCC community and promote the industry. Thanks for reading!

Author:  GnomeBoy [ Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Adventure in a pinch

Zargon wrote:
Firstly, I'm looking at the AC of 4, and I'm assuming that this stat is used in a descending armor class system. I assume that if I subtract 4 from either 19 or 20 (not sure which) that I will have a DCC appropriate (ascending) value?

You're subtracting 6 from 10 to get to 4, so in ascending order, add 6 to 10 to get 16 AC.


Zargon wrote:
Secondly, Hit Dice. Here I see 6+1, and I'm not really sure what that means. I'm grasping that Hit Dice are something of monster levels, and that this sucker has at least 6? However the hp is only 21, that seems low but maybe it isn't...

Yeah, six hit dice, plus 1 extra hp. Not sure what dice they are using (d6's?), so not sure how to figure how they got to 21 total hp. If they were using d6's, then 21 is in the ballpark for that level of creature.


Zargon wrote:
Next I see the acronym ATT, I don't know if ATT stands for something or is short for something, or what that could be, but this looks like attacks, three of them, all using a d4 and the third using two d4's at once. This seems a bit odd as well for something like a Manticore.

I think Dyson's Delve uses Labrynth Lord, and I'm not familiar with it. I'd guess this is attacks in some form...


Zargon wrote:
Moving on, the next part says or spikes. But there is nothing mentioned in the text telling how to adjudicate the damage coming from this guy's 'spikes' haha, but I bet they hurt. - or poison, that would be lovely.

mmm poison...


Zargon wrote:
Mv, movement. Followed by a number of values, travel by wing or paw. But, why is a third of the movement score listed with the whole value? Not sure about that.

Jeez, I thought at first I was going to be more help.... I'm sure it must be movement on land/air and (in combat). But I've been wrong before...


Zargon wrote:
Sv, Saves most likely, F for fortitude? What does the 6 imply? and what about other types of Saves?

Saves as a 6th level fighting man. Or my name's Barbara.


Zargon wrote:
And lastly, "M"... Does "M" represent morale or something different? And what are the implications of M9?

M stands for Murder. That's what Hitchcock taught me.


Zargon wrote:
In comparison, I see the Manticore stats listed on page 421 in the DCC rulebook, there are still some questions I have there as well. The HD are 6d8+6 (is that hp?), what does SP stand for exactly? I can infer the meaning but I didn't see it in print. I could write over the stats with actual DCC stats, but it may be helpful to know what the author intended for future conversions, as I look over d20 related works.

SP is special abilities. Like juggling, card tricks, or anything that you'd put on a CV.


Zargon wrote:
I'm very appreciative of any clarity in these matters, as I mentioned I'm new to the game, but really enjoying it, and my enthusiasm is passing onto my local group of players. With your help I'll be able to better educate my group and expand the DCC community and promote the industry. Thanks for reading!

With my help, you'll be put back about six months. Still, there it is...

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/