Sailors on the Starless Seas

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

BolieRide
Ill-Fated Peasant

Sailors on the Starless Seas

Post by BolieRide »

I have two players, each has I think four level 1 characters. They are all that remain from Portal.
A couple clerics, elf, couple halflings, dwarf and warrior.
I would prefer 1 player to 1 character, but I am unsure if that is the best way to go.
I don't intend to scale down, but should I scale up any of the encounters?
Are there any gotchas I should be aware of before they embark?
Any suggestions from those who have run it?

I have the clerics and elf rolling randomly for what spells they can attempt to learn. Based on their "loot" from Portal they can buy their goods.
After reading through the boards my set up is that they left their village after Portal to go to a little bit larger village due to availability of goods.

I do have a question about identify. I see there is a magic ring in this mod. If they find it, they cannot use it immediately right? Well, they can but they will not know the results or how to activate its magic, correct? I do not see an actual spell for identify, so I am unsure aside from sending them on a quest how they will find out the properties of the ring....
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Sailors on the Starless Seas

Post by beermotor »

The module is perfectly capable of killing 8 1st levels. I'd let them play all the characters. Finding that ring isn't easy, but the elf could probably figure out how rouse it through spellcheck to activate it.
BolieRide
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by BolieRide »

So identification of objects can happen with a successful spell check?

Last night they pretty much made mince meat of the beastmen. But I expect once they get below ground life will become a lot harder for them!
Thanks!!
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

That particular item seems to me to be one that you put on and just sort of know how to use. If you're a wizard or elf, anyway. Maybe other classes would have to attempt a spellcheck before they'd feel the power of the ring. In any case, I think a lot of people do not find the ring, so it might not even be an issue (wasn't for my players).

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”