Doom of the Savage Kings

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Colin

Doom of the Savage Kings

Post by Colin »

Well, read DotSK tonight, and I have to tip my hat to Harley. Solid work, my friend. You successfully weave a grim, mythical feel that merges seamlessly with elements of classic dungeon delve and wilderness adventure, while simultaneously ensuring the adventure is eerie, exciting, and most importantly unique and weird. You pack a great deal into the short page count, and the result is an adventure that looks like it would be memorable, fun, and evocative. A most excellent start to the module line for the DCC RPG.

cheers!
Colin
Colin

Re: Doom of the Savage Kings

Post by Colin »

I guess I was right to wonder where this was moved to then. Posts about DCC RPG modules are now in the DCC forums (not the older DCC module forums).

Colin
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

RAD Colin wrote:I guess I was right to wonder where this was moved to then. Posts about DCC RPG modules are now in the DCC forums (not the older DCC module forums).

Colin
:) At least for now. I think you're right in that we need a sub-forum for DCC RPG modules over here.
RAD Colin wrote:Well, read DotSK tonight, and I have to tip my hat to Harley.
Thank you for the kind words! That means a lot from a fellow author.

Doom had the benefit of being one of the last adventurers written prior to the release of the core book. I am interested in seeing how Sailors and Carnifex compare.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Scott Kellogg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Scott Kellogg »

Harley, how do you hear "Hirot" in your mind's ear?
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Scott Kellogg wrote:Harley, how do you hear "Hirot" in your mind's ear?
Great question!

(Having spent 3 years in French class about fifty million years ago, I'd like to see if it sounds like hero with a slight enunciation of the T at the end, like he-rote.....or is that "he wrote"?!?)
Scott Kellogg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Scott Kellogg »

A French pronunciation is a Viking style village? Hey, it's fantasy!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Scott Kellogg wrote:Harley, how do you hear "Hirot" in your mind's ear?
Ah, Scott, for the record, I'm always going to let you down with it comes to these sorts of questions. (And there is a reason the villager's names don't seem to reference any one culture, but you'll have to quiz Ogrepuppy about that.)

Anyhow, as you all likely picked up, Doom's inspiration goes back, WAY back. Hirot is a reference to Heorot.

But to answer your question, in my mind's ear I hear, "Hear-aught," but if you went with hay-ə-rot, it would make me smile.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Scott Kellogg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Scott Kellogg »

And it certainly doesn't rhyme with "Poirot" :)
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Great adventure. I would have just liked a short entry on the "after adventure" wrap-up. The Jarl & villagers,etc,etc.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

Blood Axe wrote:Great adventure. I would have just liked a short entry on the "after adventure" wrap-up. The Jarl & villagers,etc,etc.
Immediately aware when the Hound has been finally destroyed, Sylle Ru realizes that the PC's have ruined his chance to complete his ritual at the Standing Stones. In a panic, he convinces the Jarl that the PC's were heading off to the fens and that their interference will only drive the Hound into a final, murderous rampage. The Jarl sends his seven thegns riding full speed to the fens to capture the PC's (dead or alive... or dead), who intercept the PC's on their way back. Depending on the rapport the PC's built with the thegns, they might be convinced to take the PC's back alive, unarmed and in shackles, but their claims that they have killed the Hound are met with suspicion and doubt (as, in their absence, Sylle Ru "found" a mangled farm boy by the Standing Stones during daylight, apparently proof that the Hound is still alive and even more dangerous than ever). Otherwise, a fight breaks out and the thegns will surrender when they have been clearly beat.

Back at Hirot, smoke rises from the Byres as seven Pyre Devils assault the town (the late Father Beacom saw these stalking down from the Standing Stones and flew open the gates for the "angels of redemption"). Two Devils are attacking the Wolf-Spear, where most of the villagers are hiding, while five more are seen entering the charred and blasted gates of Meadhold. In the Great Hall, the PC's find the Jarl having just fallen and Sylle Ru fatally wounded. The Devils will fight for d3+2 rounds, until Sylle Ru dies (being the 99th soul, thus completing his pact with his rather impatient patron from the Plane of Ash). After the fight, the PC's can take stock and find that many of the named NPC's in the village are left dead from the attack (50% chance for each). Left leaderless and soul searching, the villagers struggle to pick up the pieces and bid the heroes adieu.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Blood Axe wrote:Great adventure. I would have just liked a short entry on the "after adventure" wrap-up. The Jarl & villagers,etc,etc.
We finished it this weekend -- Our epilogue was pretty immediate. The party slew the Hound in town by binding it with the shackles and stabbing it death with the wolf spear. The night erupted with people coming from their homes and the inn to congratulate the party. They marched up to the Jarl's longhouse and beat on the door to be let in. The door burst open and the thegns marched out in formation with one of them (Halfson?) at the back with the Jarl's head. He threw it down the steps and declared that the coward was dead, and that the thegns had selected him as the new Jarl. And that the heroes of the town were to be celebrated. Queue up the ewok music and closing credits... Credit cut shot -- Sylle Ru riding hard for the mountains, a determined look of vengeance on his face. Queue up the rest of the closing credits. Last cut shot -- a greenish mist is rising from the black sinkhole in the fens...
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
nicky
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by nicky »

Like it. Are the stats for the village thieves missing or am i just blind?
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

I have no problem making my own ending- I just think a "wrap-up" should be included in the adventure.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Blood,

Great point. I know it isn't the same thing but I'll try to get a wrap written this evening for folks, and also provide some of those thief stats.

//H

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

So first off, thank you to everyone that took the time to read or play through Doom. I earnestly hope it is a rewarding adventure for you as a judge. I welcome your critiques ... they can only help us improve our adventures.

Re: Thief Stats?
Go with the bandit stats on page 432 of the core book. And for Jenks, use the bandit hero.

Re: The End?
Ah ... this is where the judge has the chance to drive home the consequences of their PCs' actions. Nothing warms the cockles of a judge's cold heart more than a proper comeuppance.

Obviously, the Jarl perceives the triumphant PCs as threats. Desperate to maintain his power, he throws everything he has at the PCs. Unless the PCs have taken great pains to forge strong ties with the thengs, the thegns readily follow their warchief's orders.

It falls to the commoners to stand for the PCs ... or not. If the PCs have been cruel or disrespectful to the townsfolk, the villagers cower in fear and let the thegns have their way with the PCs.

However, if the PCs have conducted themselves with grace, kindness and generosity, the folk of Hirot rise to the challenge. They intercede on the behalf of their heroes, standing against the Jarl. And while the thegns are willing to battle strangers (the PCs) they refuse to turn their blades against their brothers and sisters, wives and children.

Which leave the PCs at a decision point: What to do with the Jarl? Exile is a good option, and it leaves the judge open to bringing back the villain at a later date. Execution is a possibility, but the thengs will be hesitant to deal so harshly with their former master.

The final question: If the PCs are triumphant, who will care for the village? The PCs are free to set Hirot up as their base of operations, or to hand it off to one of the NPCs. Regardless of their choice, the judge should reward them for thoughtful, measured choices, and punish the PCs (or at least hound them) for rash decisions.

I hope this helps! Let me know if other questions arise.

As one judge to another,
//H

Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley Stroh wrote:And for Jenks, use the bandit hero.
I can't even BEGIN to tell you how much this makes my heart sing. w00t!!!!!!!!

I hope Master Jenks' infamy and wealth become the subject of legend. :twisted:
Last edited by Ogrepuppy on Wed May 23, 2012 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Harley Stroh wrote:Hirot is a reference to Heorot.
Had to Google/wiki that.....but yes, indeed, pieces of puzzle fall into place.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Harley Stroh wrote:Blood,

Great point. I know it isn't the same thing but I'll try to get a wrap written this evening for folks, and also provide some of those thief stats.

//H

Thanks, its a great adventure. Im sure us old veteran RPGers can come up with an ending. But a newer player might have trouble & want some guidelines. Thanks again.
Hedgehobbit
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hedgehobbit »

ragboy wrote:We finished it this weekend -- Our epilogue was pretty immediate. The party slew the Hound in town by binding it with the shackles and stabbing it death with the wolf spear. The night erupted with people coming from their homes and the inn to congratulate the party.
Since it's possible for characters to become the hound, maybe the original hound was a villager who meddled with the goo. I think that when the hound is killed killed, it will revert back to this original guy. Not sure who that should be, I'll have to reread the adventure first.

BTW- is there a pronunciation guide? I thought the village was pronounced He Rot.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

My review went up on my blog. I don't review modules until after I play them. Permalink here:

http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/2 ... -dead.html
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
screenmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by screenmonkey »

Hirot is mentioned as being at the foot of the Trolltooth mountains. Is there a location for this in Aereth by chance?
bitflipr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bitflipr »

If you look here: http://www.goodman-games.com/MM4.html, the Trolltooth Mountains are just west of Thornswild Wood.

If you look here: http://www.goodman-games.com/MM3.html, the Trolltooth Mountains are just east of Stalgard.

The mountains aren't labeled in those maps, but they are labeled in the Gazetteer maps.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Bit nailed it.

//H

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”