Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Portal Under the Stars
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:13 pm 

I'm gearing up to run this event at a local convention, and was wondering what I can expect the average play through duration to be? I know this will vary depending on the play style of the group. I'm just looking for a rough estimate as to what would be considered average.

Post subject: Re: The Portal Under the Stars
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:35 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Hey Timelord,

With our group we created brand new characters and took it slowly. I think it was about 7 total hours over two or three sessions, but we goofed around a bit with lots of table talk and were still figuring out the ruleset.

I'm estimating that with pre-generated characters, a GM who is familiar with the rules and knows the adventure, you could get through it in about 3 hours give or take, depending upon the size, experience and focus of the group -- and if they split the party.

Hope this helps. It's only one opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

I ran through with a split group of noobs and veterans. I had notes prepared. Took about 3.5 hours with rolling new characters for everybody.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:51 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I think we took 1.5 sessions, about 4-5 hours total time, to roll up characters and play through the module. Big chunk of that, probably almost half, was character creation. Lots of book flipping, but it helps to do one thing and go around the table ("Ok, everybody roll d30s for Lucky Rolls/Birth Augurs.").

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:10 am 
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Around 4-5 hours maybe, without rolling characters. It was the first DCC RPG module I ran.