DCC group goes to Tegel Manor!

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

DCC group goes to Tegel Manor!

Post by themightyeroc »

I have my current group of six, sometimes 7 players currently going through the old Judges Guild module Tegel Manor. If you own this and were debating using it I would suggest you go for it! I am going to put up the adventure write-ups from my blog here. The blog also chronicles all of the adventures starting with Sailors on the Starless Sea. If you go to the blog you can see comments from the players.

Ok here goes: The first foray to the Manor was Jan 7th.

The first foray to Tegel Manor!!!!! But our 8th session of actual DCC play.

After the defeat of the People of the Pit, our heroes have found themselves in a bit of a pickle. Tyrrian and Tarek have decided to retire from the life of "adventure" and have become permanent guardians of the groups new adopted hometown. Lars and the others brought the survivors from Eros and moved them into the houses and businesses left open by the departure of cultists that had hidden there prior.

Lars has set himself up as the substitute mayor of Tegel until a new election can be held. Father Beavis has been granted rights to preach from the pulpit at the White Horse Tavern. Moep was last seen taking stock of the Taverns larder, and Garrotte Denslinger has been lurking in the alleyways. Alexander and Alan met the rest of the group and related their tale of the Mummy. Captain Hook now awaits further instruction and cares for the Magic boat.

Lars decided it was time to scout out the Manor itself and organized a party consisting of himself, Sally, Alexander, Chi the elf-child, Emily, Alan, Sven, Bull-zi and Alex the cabin-boy now Cleric. Procuring a wagon and a bit of gear they group set out for the Manor proper.

The party opted to circle the Manor and get a handle on what this place entailed. The Manor is much larger than any edifice the group has encountered so far. It is literally a small city unto itself. Generations of construction built upon former construction show this place will be a labyrinth of halls, rooms, lairs and possible treasure vaults!

The sounds of life are heard emanating from the great tower that makes up the western corner of the manor. Mid way along the west wall Bull-zi climbs up and peers into a window. Within he sees what seems to be a large playroom for children that has not seen use for many years. Rounding the backside of the Manor the group finds an outbuilding that turns out to be an outhouse. An overgrown garden path leads the party to a rear entrance of the Manor. Lars picks the lock and the group enters warily.

Within the Manor a dark hall beckons the adventures to plumb its secrets. Chi, Sven and Bull-zi encounter phantom sounds that frighten Sven and Bull-zi! Meanwhile Lars, Sally and Emily encounter a phantasmic force of chill and darkness! Spooked but still foolhardy the party proceeds down the hall to invetigate a line of doors seen by Chi. The first room reveals a grisly scene! A body hung from a chandelier with rats gnawing upon it. Alexander drives the vermin away and the room is searched. A jeweled dagger and a giant rat hole are discovered. With some encouragement Lars convinces Chi, that only she could shimmy down the giant rat hole to discover any treasures that may have been carried away. Chi laments the fact that Moep is not among the party to do this, but she finally gives in and dives headfirst into darkness! The rat warrens are quickly discovered to very vast and Chi returns to the party.

The second chamber is discovered to have the doorways encrusted with gold spore fungus dust. Both Sally and Chi agree this must be being used to entrap something within the room beyond.... but what? The hint of evil emanates from the room as well.......

The third chamber radiates cold, and the doorway is encrusted with frost. The room itself is adorned with large white furs on the floor and scenes of a woman and elves frolicking in winter landscapes upon the walls. A large bed holds a woman lying in repose seemingly dead or perhaps be-spelled. A few of the group are overcome with the urge to approach and kiss the woman on the bed, but more stalwart members of the party pull them back and restore sense to them. An adjoining chamber is opened and a ice covered personal armoury is discovered! Two suits of ornate armor, one for a man the other a woman draw the majority of the party in to investigate. A dreadful trap is sprung as the male and female spirits howl in evil glee slamming the door shut and begin to freeze the party to death with magical ice! Sally's resist cold spell holds and the group is able to extricate themselves from the chamber with skill and brute strength.

Lars decides the group should take what they have found back to town, and talk about what they have discovered.

I have quite a cast of characters, three Players are running 3 PC's, 2 Players are running 2 PC's, and 2 players have 1 PC.
Everyone is having an absolute blast!
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: DCC group goes to Tegel Manor!

Post by ragboy »

themightyeroc wrote:I have my current group of six, sometimes 7 players currently going through the old Judges Guild module Tegel Manor. If you own this and were debating using it I would suggest you go for it! I am going to put up the adventure write-ups from my blog here. The blog also chronicles all of the adventures starting with Sailors on the Starless Sea. If you go to the blog you can see comments from the players
Very cool. I have "Temple Lair of the Lizardman" (Judges Guild) and "Halls of Tizun Thane" (White Dwarf) plopped down in a sandbox campaign, but have done little to convert either one.

Are you making the monsters in Tegel Manor unique/DCC? Or are you just straight converting them?

I'll have to follow your blog -- want to see how you handle this stuff. Need pointers.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I was lucky enough to play in Melan's revised Tegel Manor, that Necromancer Games didn't publish. It was an awful lot of fun with lots of weird and funky stuff going on. Brilliant.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I was a Judges Guild subscriber from the onset of the company, and played the original Tegel Manor when it first came out (in '76?). I still have my original copy of the module.

Putting DCC and Tegel Manor is a brilliant move! :shock:

Thanks for connecting the dots for me, and I look forward to reading more about your adventure.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

Tegel Manor: Session IX the eastern Ballroom

The White Horse Tavern was bustling with excitement, the towns people both new and old eagerly traded gossip and eyewitness accounts of the deeds of the local heroes. The dread of Palimdybis and the people of the pit have been vanquished.

Lars has gathered everyone in the private room and a large feast has been served. A group charter is laid out and soon after a few adjustments everyone agrees to sign on. The idea of officially naming the group is raised as well. The Avengers of Eros and The Evictor's are two names that get much attention around the table, however nothing is decided upon. Lars then relates the tale of the first foray to the haunted manor. Tarek lays out the partial map and journal page he acquired back at the Man-beast Keep, and shows how it warns of terrors in the manor. Tyrrian speaks up and admits that he has had enough of helping the townsfolk setting things aright these past months and wants to bring the swift hammer of justice down upon the evil that waits in the manor. With that said the party raises their drinks on high and pledge to clear out the manor!
Morning finds "Honest" Lars, Sally convert of Mesha and Alexander the Enchanter placing the last bit of their gear in a mule drawn cart. Chi the elf child, Emily in her newly acquired Valkyrie breastplate and Alan the apprentice arrive eager for adventure. Moep the explorer asks if it would be alright if he rode in the cart so as to finish breakfast and be ready for 2nd breakfast. Sven the Champion hoists Moep up into the back of the cart and smiles at him, Bull Zi the apprentice tests the weight of his throwing axe by tossing it in the air and Alex the zealot of Tar-Ark fusses over his monkey Jack while getting used to wearing the scale mail that once protected the now deceased Tom. Tyrrian the champion arrives his weapons and armor oiled and eager to deliver justice to the foul denizens of Tegel manor. Tarek the apprentice eyes the orphaned boy ever aware that he must keep watch over the lad until he gains a bit more wisdom.
"Well, I guess we can head out now." says Lars as he raises a switch to the mule's backside.

"No wait, we aren't all here yet. Brother Beavis and Garrote have yet to arrive." sighs Sally.

"Oh yes we are!" cries Brother Beavis the Heathen Slayer of Losborst, as he approaches the party. Garrote Denslinger the Explorer rides atop a pack mule being led by the cleric. "I've picked up this fine creature to help bear our gear, Garrotes extra rations, and plenty of wine for Losborst." notes Beavis grinning from ear to ear between sips from a freshly uncorked bottle of red. "Start the day out blessed I always say!"
Fully assembled the party leaves town and makes their way to the manor. Stopping briefly at the fishing village to check up on Captain James and the "magic boat". Alexander enlists Farhoud to drive and tend the cart for the group. A half hour later they find themselves again at the main entrance of Tegel Manor.
Tarek reviews the map with Lars, and decide to avoid the main entrance for the moment and instead look for a entrance to the east marked on the map. A bit of hedge trimming soon reveals a small porch and set of french doors. Chi decides to use magic and cries "I summon the DUDE!" and a hawk magically appears on her wrist! Alexander clouts Chi across the back of the head and whispers in her ear; "DO that quietly!" Sally casts protection from evil, that will cover those within ten feet of her for a couple of hours, and Beavis casts Losborsts' blessing upon himself.
Arranging themselves in order for exploration and defense, they approach the newly found entrance. Tyrrian at the head of the party clearly hears the sounds of music and laughter coming from just inside. Without hesitation he throws the doors open and yells "The party's over you...huh?!" Sunlight streams in to reveal a large dusty ballroom dominated by a fireplace and two statues some fifty feet opposite the entrance, and a pair of servants doors to the north and south. The left and right sides of the ballroom have heavily curtained chambers that are concealed from view. Spreading out the group opens the curtained chambers and find scores of fancy shoes to the north and costumes to the south as well as a servants door in each, all are in varying states of decay.
Lars gathered some dried shrubbery to use in the fireplace as he, Sally and Alexander head towards it they can see the statues portray a nude male in a joyous pose and a nude man with a sad face in a downcast pose. Moep who has absconded with a pair of red velvet shoes adorned with rose colored gems begins crossing the ballroom floor in an attempt to catch up with those viewing the statues when a loud CREAKING followed by a SNAP causes everyone to look up. A large fancy chandelier begins to plummet downward!!!!! The luck of the halflings holds true and Moep finds himself standing tip toed and unscathed amidst a pile of shattered glass.
"Now THAT was good for Laugh!" bellows the Joyous statue, "Terrible, just Terrible." mumbles the sad statue. The party is surprised at the voices from the statues and the fireplace is quickly set ablaze. The fire combined with the sunlight from the french doors shows the vast height of the ballroom; easily some fifty feet above, is adorned with mirrors that now reveal two large oil paintings in this chamber.

to be continued:
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

Tegel Manor session IX continues:

The first painting is of a terribly decayed man dressed in finery, below it a plaque reads Railler Rolandil Rumph. Tyrrian and Beavis quickly agree it should be brought down and burned! Sven is able to dislodge it from the hooks holding it in place and it falls to the floor. Beavis in an attempt to stop any needless racket tries to catch the painting but instead ends up tearing through the canvas with his head. The canvas is cut from the frame and when tossed in the fire it bursts into a green flame and a fearsome scream follows! Most of the party flees just outside the french doors. Tyrrian, Beavis and Sven turn thier attention to the second oil. This one is titled Reldor Rumph, the Ransomer. A rather roguish fellow that seems to leer down at the group. "I rather like this one!" exclaims Lars. "I agree, something about him." says Tarek rubbing his chin.
Sven steps up and reaches to bring it down, waiting a moment for any comment from Tyrrian or Beavis.
A voice rings in Sven's head, "I'd think about getting rid of me if I were you." Looking up Sven says, "Why should I do that?"
"I could be of use to you all." the voice in his head replies.
"Why should you do what, Sven?" asks the elf-child as she regains her courage to come back in the ballroom.
Sven pauses a moment, looks at Chi then back at the painting and shifts it down off the wall. Looking to Beavis and Tyrrian, Sven grunts "Well..."
"In the fire!" Tyrrian commands pointing to the blaze which is no longer green.
As the second painting goes into the fire it bursts into a bright orange burst and Sven hears, "You'll be sorry." echo in his head.
In the meantime Alexander has cast Detect magic and has begun interrogating the statues. The rest of the party crowd around listening to the exchange. The Joyous statue want the party to come back after dark when things really kick off! The sad statue would really like it if they would stop talking to him. Deciding the statues are not harmful in any way the party elects to head south through the servants ballroom door.
The southern servants door opens to reveal a dark hallway of plastered stone. Lars lights his hooded lantern and Alex a torch. Chi tells Tyrrian it is clear ahead. Carefully following the winding hall the party passes a crack in the plaster stretching from floor to ceiling. A short investigation reveals nothing of note. A few quick turns in the hall slows the group enough for Tyrrian to see a heavy iron bound oak door on the north wall. Tarek tries the lock but it proves beyond his skill. Bull Zi is called forward, and he kneels beside the door, removes a packet of tools from his belt and within seconds opens the door to reveal a grim sight. A dungeon of sorts, floor littered with human bones, large dog sized rats scamper down a hobbit sized rat hole dug in the floor. At first no one wants to enter, but at last Tyrrian and Beavis do so stepping gingerly among the bones while Tarek watches with the others from the doorway arrow knocked and ready to fly at the rat hole. Beavis kneels and begins to say last rites over the bones. As he does this the souls of the dead thank him and reveal their sorrowful tale. Overcome with sadness Beavis relates that they were all servants of the house brought here and left to starve and die for no reason other than the pleasure of their depraved masters. Bull Zi scouts out the rear of the dungeon and uncovers a pit with a bubbling swill of filth at the bottom. The party closes the door and continues following the hallway. Rounding a corner the hall extends straight ahead beyond the meager light from the group, treading even more carefully now Chi is able to notice a secret door. "Wait, look what I've found!" hisses the elf-child, as she runs her hands along the wall.
Stone grates upon stone as a 10x10 portal opens revealing a temple like chamber devoted to PURE EVIL! A skylight in the ceiling of red leaded glass bathes the chamber in a bloody hue. The walls are painted with a mural depicting a blighted landscape filled with wailing souls dominated by a cloaked figure brandishing a ceremonial dagger in hand and gesturing with the other. Most notably the flesh of the cloaked figure seems to run off his bones like hot wax, yet he does not seem to mindful of it. The cloaked figure is painted in such a way as to appear that he is towering over the black stone altar that is the only furniture in the chamber. The floor and altar are covered with dark and evil sigils and glyphs.
Beavis looks into the chamber then back upon the group, "Those of you who would be protected by the divine wine of Losborst I offer to you my blessing and chance to join me in his most holy grape." With bottle raised Beavis drinks then holds the bottle out to the group. Tyrrian grasps the bottle, "Though I do not follow Losborst exclusively, I do walk the same path. I accept your offer." The wine fills his mouth with a flavor unlike any he has sensed before, for a moment his blood feels afire then Tyrrian is overcome with peace as a heavanly host appears and Losborst himself raises a glass with him. "Wow, I feel pretty good."
Beavis feels a tug on his habit and looks down at Moep. "Hey, i'm not saying I'll convert but I'd like to drink some of that wine!"
"Beavis, I think it is time we sanctified this place in the name of Law." Tyrrian looks at Brother Beavis and memories of the sanctification process of evil altars in the Pits come to mind.
Beavis knowing what Tyrrian has in mind smiles and raises the bottle up stepping into the chamber, "Oh Losborst hear my cry and aid us in this most important endeavor to cleanse the evil from this chamber!"
A bright ray of sunlight pierces the skylight, Losborst himself stands arrayed in the golden light held upright by cherubs that strain under his girth. Hands clasping his head Losborst slurs, "BEAVITH, you gotta lay off me. I'm going to hep you now. But that is IT for the day!" A stream of white wine shoots forth from the tips of Losborsts fingers streaming into Beavis lifting from his feet as the cherubs sing! Beavis feels himself filled to bursting with the holy wine of sanctification that can cleanse this chamber. As the golden light fades Losborst looks upon the party with bleary eyes and says, "I'm OUT!"
Alexander realizing what is about to happen turns and steps a ways back from the entrance to the chamber. "My boots are not getting wet, I don't care if you call it holy."

Leaving Beavis to "sanctify" the evil chamber, the party scouts out the remaining length of the hallway allowing Chi to "do her thing". Another secret door is found about 60ft further west at the end of the hall on the north wall.
Beavis having now consecrated the chamber in the name of law rejoins the group at the secret door. Chi opens it and beyond is a richly adorned bed chamber.
This large bed chamber has heavy leaded glass window in the north wall through which the party can clearly see Farhoud and the cart. Remembering that from outside no windows like this were visible Alexander suggests that the walls are magicked to appear as stone from the outside. The room is dominated by two large canopied beds. The first with heavy curtains that are open, the second bed is enclosed with wooden panels that can be opened by crank mechanism at the foot of the bed. There is also a ladies vanity and wardrobe. This room is discovered to hold many secrets of deviant behavior and is most certainly the lair of at least a single vampire.
The adjoining chambers, a study and closet are discovered to contain some items of notable evil intention. While preparing a fire to burn said items, Alexander is able to pilfer a few choice scrolls for later perusal.
The only other door out of the bed chamber is laced with silver, the group finds this odd. Also Tarek has noted that they are now near an area clearly marked on his map and should proceed with extra caution.
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
Flexi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Flexi »

I have never played Tegel Manor but have always enjoyed those kinda wacky environments. I have participated in a OSR module called Shadowbrook Manor, which I have been told is similar but I gotta track down a copy of Tegel Manor for myself one of these days.
Love the write ups. Keep 'em coming!
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

final chapter of Session IX: the ballroom

While Moep throws a helmet full of "Holy" water from Brother Beavis on the bed that was enclosed by wooden panels. Tarek and Lars pour over the map and journal page.

"The journal notes the chamber beyond this door. It should have some cells and a dead man crushed by a portcullis." Tarek motions to the silver chased iron bound door. The only way so far unchecked.

"But why the silver?" Says Lars, shaking his head. "To keep something in, or out."

Before either man can react, Tyrrian turns the handle and throws the door open. "Let us see what lies beyond!"

A large chamber half of which is dominated by two large dungeon like cells, each sealed by a heavy iron portcullis. Between the two cells a pair of iron levers protrude from slots in the wall. The other half of the chamber is bare and perhaps at one time held table and stools for posted guards. Noticibly though is the decayed leather clad human bones positioned just like the journal said. Long ago stripped of any thing useful, his death obviously caused by the gate catching him unaware.

"Look" hisses Chi,"there is a girl here!"

Bound in silver manacles at the rear of the second cell, what appears to be a disheveled peasant girl in a dirty shift pleads for help in a hoarse whisper. The party breaks into a small argument as everyone begins hinting at what the girl may be....

"We should kill her swiftly, she's no good." sneers the elf-child sniffing the air and peering through the bars at the girl.
"A were-thing think about all the silver," says Lars pointing into the cell "and those chains that bind her."
"We must raise the gate," Tyrrian motions to Sven "can you lift it?"
The thickly muscled former Duck herder steps forward, "I'll give it a try."
"Wait the levers." murmurs Alexander, as he casts Ward Portal on the gate unseen.
Straining under the weight Sven mutters, "It...won't...budge. Must be stuck."
"Hold on my friends," brother Beavis moves to the gate. "Let me as Losborst for Guidance."
Kneeling beside the portcullis and taking a gulp from his bottle of freshly uncorked red Beavis attempts to commune with his diety.
Losborst answers after a moments silence, "Listen, I'm not gonna say she's good. However she's not that bad either right now, and if you give a little you get a little."
Relaying this to the party, beavis turns and tells the girl they will aid her. At the same time Alexander removes the Ward spell, just as Tyrrian is trying the levers and the gate rises.
Beavis is first to the girl and comforts her with words and lays hands on her. Bull Zi is ready with daggers in case. The girl whispers a thanks to Beavis, her hair turns stark white and she shatters the manacles. Rising to her feet she begins to hover above the flagstones. " I thank thee mortal man, you could have ended me but instead chose to aid. For this I grant you the life of one member of your group. If death should find you, bring them to me upon the moors at midnight. Call Rhiannon three times and I shall come." the girl then becomes transparent and wisps away like smoke.

The only exit from the chamber is an intricate three lock mechanism. It is easily opened from this side but would be quite the challenge for those trying to get in without a key. by the map tarek knows they are just feet away from a chamber of horrific death as related in the Journal. The group opts to head directly to the main entry hall and exit the manor through the as yet untried front doors.

The Master foyer is a sight to behold. Six thick oak pillars support the arched ceiling, Four large oil paintings hang upon the walls here:
(You can see the pictures at the blog)

Suddenly a raspy voice croaks "Cloaks, hats" from behind the group. Turning they come face to face with.....
(another blog pic)
The creepy Butler in his threadbare attire gestures with outstretched hand. "Uh, no. I'll be keeping mine thanks." replies Garrote, hand clasped to the hilt of his dark bladed shortsword.
As the butler turns from the party, Tarek holds up the deed and says, "I'm the new master now. We're here to clean this place out."

With a side glance at the party as he steps behind a pillar the butler grumbles,"I'm sure you think you are."

An indignent Tarek goes after the butler only to discover he has vanished. The party then opens the front doors and regroups outside on the front lawn with Farhoud.

What will happen next? Stay tuned, more in 2 weeks.
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

So a player of mine "Lars the honest" the neutral Thief just added a comment over on the blog. After reading it I gave him a 5xp reward. Here is what he posted:

The Heroes of Eros

The Heroes of Eros came from the village.
The beastmen of Fhelan had come to loot and pillage.
The captives were kidnapped from bed and denied privilege.
The attacks caused fire, chaos, and blood spillage.

The savages were dreadful man beasts,
The heroes were farmers, smiths, merchants and priests,
They followed the tracks to rescue their kin in the east,
They struggled and continued but could not be ceased,
Their foes were laid low and their brows creased,
The families and friends were rescued, prisoners released!

The town was a shambles, but we policed,
The heroes of Eros lives were puzzled in piece,
The townsfolk were gathered to travel numbers decreased,
The road was hard for the heroes eating roots for their feast,
The aged and wise told them of a secret under stars be released,
The portal opened, rooms searched, horde overcome left deceased,

At the abbey the survivors at least found some peace.

Tegel had a market for wares,
To Markus the decent they sold what was theirs,
Lars watched as he sold rutabaga, radish, and parsnip in town squares,
Heroes of Eros wandered the market in pairs,

A night at the White Horse erased all their cares,
They drank and they ate and went off on tears,
Come early morning they had won from Rumph heirs,
The town mayor had asked tasked them to settle affairs.

Off the Heroes of Eros went down some stairs,
Thora was laid low thanks for armors we wears,
Continuing on under ground cultist caught unawares,
Destroying the cultists and loot split in shares,

Become the Mayor and keeping the peace,
Settling Friar Bevis who believes he was fleeced,
Taking care of all things and Markus’ palms greased,
Armed and armored even the least,

Off to the manor house in need of repairs,
A place loaded with many Rumph Heirs,
Back door checked and rooms frigid of airs,
Once round the ballroom sounds of musical chairs,
Now it’s a temple in need of repairs!
Loosed a bainshee from those she had scares,
Met by the butler who then disappears.

This is pretty much an oral history of the party from zero level to now. Pretty cool.
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

Tegel manor: Session X, Feb 1st 2013

The party has gathered outside the main entrance after the morning foray. They eat a quick lunch and swap some gear around to those who would most benefit from its use.

Felan's Axe, is given to Sven as he is the only one strong enough to wiled is physically. Will he be strong enough to resist in mentally.....

The Steel shield with a snowflake emblem retrieved from the haunted armoury is given to Tyrrian.

The group then decides to head back in and explore as much as they can before nightfall. Moep elects to stay with the wagon and Farhoud.

Once back in the main foyer the western servants door is chosen and a long hall lit by wall sconces is revealed. Chi the elf-child calls the group to a halt as her sensitive ears are catching wisps of muttering somewhere nearby. When the party stops moving everyone begins to here indiscernable mumblings all about them. A door to the south is found, Bull Zi applies all his skill and pronounces the door safe, yet he hears a strange trilling noise beyond. Sven turns the handle and reveals a large lounge with furniture a statue and a half dozen bodies covered in a layer of dust.

The lounge is figured to be a lust chamber, as the statue depicts two people in a state of ravishment. The corpses have been here a long time and Beavis starts to give last rites, as Bulls Zi "straightens" their clothing, finding a bit of costume jewelry in the process. Suddenly from the rafters above four large hairy winged things swoop down upon the party as the trilling sound intensifies! One of the winged things lands on Beavis's neck and bites him! Bulls Zi attempts to remove it by beating it with his Sap. Alexander enters the room hands glowing with mystic power and recites the incantation for "Read magic" thus driving the winged rodents back into the rafters. A room adjoining the lounge is opened and found to contain four large beds and many undressed corpses. The group leaves this area and returns to the "Mumbling" hallway.

A little further down the hallway, an ornate door is found and opened into a grand Dining Room. The center of the chamber is dominated by a long table set with silver finery and fifteen young ladies led by a Governess in the middle of a lesson on manners. The girls turn at the entrance of the party and begin giggling as the Governess stands and says, "Well, it appears we have visitors."
Tarek moves to the end of the table and brandishes the Deed, " I am Tarek, rightful owner of Tegel Manner."
"We beg your pardon Lord Tarek", the Governess motions the girls to rise from thier seats. "We ask that you join us for a toast in your honor." The girls then move them selves about the table to open seats. Tarek takes the seat at the Head of the table opposite the governess, Beavis takes a seat between the girls to the left of Tarek and Chi and Emily take open seats on the right side of the table. Bulls Zi hugs the room wall peering behind the tapestries.

Glases are given to the newcomers and wine is poured into them. The Governess raises her glass, "In honor Tarek the most recent Lord of Tegel Manor, may your reign be as short as your life and sweet as your blood!"
The party members at the table discover they are rooted to the spot and cannot move, as the beauty of the room and the woman dissolves and the horrid reality is unveiled! The rest of the party sees only those at the table disappear and the chamber returns to its decayed state!

"Feast upon their flesh!" screams the governess as the now undead ladies in waiting tear into the surprised Tarek, Beavis, Chi and Emily!!! Tarek is barely able to keep two hideous girl-ghouls from his face teeth clik-clacking! Beavis holds one girl back as a second takes a mouthful from his forearm putting a quick end to his attempt to turn them. Chi and Emily are overwhelmed by the girl-ghouls assault as they scream "You'll not share in our feast of Man-flesh!" Chi is wrestled out of her chair and onto the tabletop as Emily is held fast in her chair by one as a second hops up on the table and leans in to bite her face!

Alexander casts "Detect Invisible" and can now see his friends peril! Calling out commands to the rest of the group they prepare to attack the invisible undead! Tyrrian is able to Shield bash one of the creatures off of Tarek giving him an opening to slay the other. Beavis has a second chunk of flesh ripped from hi body, while Chi suffers at the claws of the undead. Emily is able to break free and through Deed Of Arms, leap from her chair and split a girl-ghoul in twain with her axe!
Sven unleashes Felans Axe and resists the berserker rage, allowing him to control his attacks! Garrote the halfling proceeds to unleash the power of the "black" shortsword and makes quick work of two girl-ghouls! Sally follows Alexanders commands and makes for the head of the table and the Governess, calling upon Mesha the fiery fury of Molan's Flail is unleashed but she just misses her invisible foe! The girl-ghouls dropping like flies at the frantic blows of the group, the Governess begins screaming in fury and becomes visible. Lars awaiting a perfect moment hurls the "Lucky" rock and it caves in the chest of the Governess, this is quickly followed by four glowing blue magical axes that fly from Alexanders outstretched palms smashing the Governess to bits against the backwall.

Aiding the wounded the party quickly regroups and turns their attention to a pocket door in the northwest corner of the room. The portal leads to a large kitchen in shambles a very large rat is seen draggin a rotting side of beef from a partially opened pantry doorway. Bulls Zi hurls his javelin at the rat and pins it to the side of meat. Sven steps boldly into the kitchen just as a swarm of crockery is hurled at the party standing in the doorway! A booming voice begins shouting over a ghoslty din of kitchen sounds,"You call that food? That is bloody Shite! And you lot, get out of my kitchen!" A barrage of knives, cleavers and assorted cutlery begin hurling themselves at Sven who beats a hasty path across the kitchen and into the pantry just dodging a cauldron of boiling sludge that flies after him.
"How the heck do we handle a ghost chef?" asks Tarek out loud.
"It is your house," states Alexander "I think you should fire him." flinching as more crockery smashes in the doorway. "Let me help you." waving his hands and intoning mystic words Alexander creates an archway magical force to provide cover for Tarek from the irate spirit.
"Look here!" bellows Tarek holding up the Deed. "I will tolerate no more of your foolishness, you will vacate the premises as your services are no longer needed!"
At that the cacaphoney of cooking noises goes dead followed by a somber voice saying, "Well, I guess that's it then. I'll be off I guess." A prescence is felt by all leaving the kitchen.
Meanwhile in the pantry Sven ducked in just narrowly escaping being scalded by the contents of the cauldron only to come face to face with four of the largest vermin he has ever seen.
"Hunh, ROUS's, I didn't think they exist."
Sven is knocked to the floor as the creatures rush him in a mad dash for fresh meat!
The strangled cry from the pantry causes the group to spring into action to aid Sven. Tyrrian, Beavis, Chi, Bulls Zi and Emily rush to open the door. Sven lies under a pile giant rodents barely holding them from his throat! Tyrrian and Beavis rush into the room and Tyrrian slips and falls face first to the floor causing Beavis to falter as well. Chi and Emily kill a rodent as Bulls Zi also dispatches another. The last two so ravenous from hunger battle to the bitter end and are put down by the group.

After a short break, the party moves onward. They discover the bound corpse of a maid servant hidden in a trunk whose ghost keeps appearing and screaming in her room. They take the corpse outside and burn it after Beavis gives it last rites. Returning they see the spirit has moved on. With only a few hours now before dark the party moves quickly through a group of adjoined chambers belonging to head staff as deemed by the furnishing and clothing found. A gem encrusted chalice is discovered in an old footlocker and Beavis promptly puts it to good use!
The Master Butlers room is found to hold an odd pool of slime and many coins scattered across the chamber floor. Most unusaul is the animated jade green hand that scuttles about the floor trying to get to a golden ring in the center of the slime puddle. The hand is placed in a box and brought along after the ring and coins are gathered up. Exiting this chamber into a long lit hallway Tyrrian, Tarek and Chi are confronted by a singing swordsman that charges them! Tarek puts an arrow through his face to no avail! The ghostly swordsman proceeds to "Slime" the three adventurers before disappearing through a wall at the end of the hall. The three adventureres return to the Butlers room and use old linens from the bed to de-slime themselves.

The "Singing Swordsman" hall is discovered to branch off towards the south, but closest is a pair of grand double doors. The party chooses to open these doors and reveals a VERY large Mead Hall. This chamber is decked out to look like a Jarls great hall of the Skandiks from the north. The chamber has been undisturbed for some time as the amount and thickness of the cobwebs shows. A soft thumping noise is heard emanating from deeper in the room, and the late afternoon rays of sunlight beam through the high set windows of the north wall. Pushing through the webs and making towards the sound the party finds six ancient Skandiks in mouldering furs seated at the long trestle table running up the eastern wall. The hollow eyed warriors turn in the direction of the party and one of them can be seen bashing a rat upon the table repeatedly. Beavis steps forward and rebukes the foul creatures causing two of them to falter. Sally then rebukes as well and the remaining zombies cower away from the group. The zombie Skandiks are put to rest and the Mead Hall is found to contain a grand Jarls throne and six Statues. The statues depict the following dieties: Odin, Thor, Mosinylo, Hei, Beytnorn and Coriptus.

The party discuss the benefits of staying the night within the Mead hall for the night or going back out side to the waiting Moep and Farhoud. Finally it is agreed that the group will go back outside and camp upon the doorstep of Tegel manor for the night.
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

ragboy wrote:
themightyeroc wrote:I have my current group of six, sometimes 7 players currently going through the old Judges Guild module Tegel Manor. If you own this and were debating using it I would suggest you go for it! I am going to put up the adventure write-ups from my blog here. The blog also chronicles all of the adventures starting with Sailors on the Starless Sea. If you go to the blog you can see comments from the players
Very cool. I have "Temple Lair of the Lizardman" (Judges Guild) and "Halls of Tizun Thane" (White Dwarf) plopped down in a sandbox campaign, but have done little to convert either one.

Are you making the monsters in Tegel Manor unique/DCC? Or are you just straight converting them?

I'll have to follow your blog -- want to see how you handle this stuff. Need pointers.
Tegel manor is teeming with Undead. So far all I've really done is go through and roll on the Variety in Undead chart on page 381. I am also making use of the "rest conditions" for Ghosts on page 413.

Let's take a look at an encounter from this weeks game;Room A4 Grand Dining Room, here is the description from the book:
Lavishly appointed with fine silver and rich tapestries, but dimly lit by candles upon the great table in the center of the room. When PC's enter the room, they see sixteen ghosts-obviously high-born ladies who retired from the rowdiness of the Great Hall - seated at another phantom feast. These sedate souls rapidly fade from view when interrupted at their table, except for a Spectre seated at the head of the table. What at first seemed a beautiful noble-woman becomes a ghastly fiend as it throws itself at the nearest party members. When the Spectre is dispatched, the finery of the room dulls to mouldering hangings, rotting wood, and nary a sign of dish nor goblet beneath dust and cobwebs. However there is an iron bound chest hidden in the hearth.

So my depiction of the chamber was slightly different, but that can vary due to my mood. Now monster wise, because I have a character party that is 15 strong I like to switch things up a bit. I decided that there would be 15 ladies in waiting stats as Skeletons, and the Spectre at the head of the table would just be a scary master skeleton/undead thingy with 35hps AC16 and the power to cast illusions and limited invisibility. This keeps the more expeirenced players on their toes as they can't guess what the monsters are exactly! And i try to never describe them as just skeletons or ghosts etc.
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

Session XI: Night falls on Tegel Manor

As night falls over Tegel Manor the party finds itself gathering around a fire and serving up Moep's specialty Beans and Bacon. Chi begins a jaunty elvish song singing to the group from just outside the firelight on an old tree stump, arms outstretched and head tilted back to the moon. Beavis begins a serious religous discussion with Alan, Emily, Farhoud,Garrotte and Alexander around the fire. Sven steps away from the others and looks back at the ominous Manor itself, as Bulls Zi begins cleaning his hand axe and throwing daggers and Lars and Sally settle down on thier bedrolls.

As weariness begins to overtake them and the embers begin to die, three dark shapes drop from the sky taking everyone by surprise! The large winged creatures attack, the first lunges at Chi and just misses the nimble elf! The second startles Alex, Bulls Zi and Sven. The third creature swats Emily across the face slamming her across the camp site and knocking her senseless as six of her teeth bounce across the grass!

Sven feels the Felans axe call out to him and loses himself in a red rage! A fierce melee ensues with Bulls Zi hurling his axe as well against the monster. Sven dispatches the gargoyle with a spectacular blow to the body!

Sally dons a chain shirt while Lars and Garrotte cover her. From the darkness around the group red eyes can be seen reflecting the firelight. A large horde of swift moving bestial man-like creatures swarm the campsite. The front doors of Tegel Manor swing open and a host of skeletal men-at-arms come clattering down the steps, in their midst a large warrior in breastplate and helm with a sword and whip wreathed in blue flame bellows, “Bring those who would defile our Lady’s bed to their knees! They must pay for their insolence!”

Alexander is quick to react to this new threat and races closer towards the skeletal horde, using magic he casts force manipulation while calling out “Sezrekan, I accept your offer!” and blocks the advancement of the undead horde. A regal woman in a blood red gown emerges from the open doorway. She raises her hands and attempts to dispel the magical wall but is unsuccessful. Snarling in rage she turns and withdraws with the horde back into the manor.

In the meantime the pack bestial ghouls have been driven off by turnings from the cleric’s and Sven’s maniacal axe work! Garrotte came face to face with the gargoyle that tried to claw Chi and with the shadow blade laid it low! Brother Beavis calls forth the power of Losborst upon the third and final gargoyle. A heaven sent bucket of wine drops down upon the creatures head and it falls flat on its face. It struggles to rise and charges the group swinging its deadly claws about. The gargoyle takes wing and bashes Beavis as it rises into the night sky. Alexander uses a glowing hand of mystic force to drag the creature back to the ground. Emily swings her axe at the held foe but it shatters upon impact! Moep throws the bean filled cook pot directly in the creatures face, just as Sven leap through the air and delivers a senses shattering blow that obliterates the creature!

The group begins binding wounds and throwing gear into the wagon. “Should have stayed in the Mead hall.” mutters Bulls Zi while searching for his throwing axe.
“We should go, as quickly as we can.” says Lars.
Alexander moves towards the manor, “I must do something first.” Muttering arcane words and repeating the dread name Sezrekan repeatedly the doors of the manor slam shut. Then glowing chains erupt from the ground binding the doorway shut while causing it to fade from view leaving only a blank stone wall. Farhoud rushes forward and helps Alexander back towards the wagon.

“Look out!” cries Alan pointing into the darkness, the gleam of eyes has returned. A second pack of snarling ghouls rushes towards the party.
A bellowing command of “GET THEM!” reveals the undead have returned and now flank the party having used the Tegel ballroom to get around the magically locked front doors. The moonlight revealing a horde some twenty to thirty strong marching upon them from the left, ghouls charging in from the right! A hail of arrows rains down upon the group, Emily and Garrotte are struck down by terrible wounds inflicted by the skeletal archers.
“There’s too many!” cries Moep diving into the wagon. Alexander leaning against the wagon draws a scroll from his cloak and chants the dread Sorcerers name again. Hands glowing with the fires of hell itself three blazing bolts scream forth and incinerate a handful of the ghouls.
Sally stands up in the back of the wagon and points towards the oncoming skeletal force, crying Mesha’s name she summons the earth itself to bind them in place! “We must go now!”

As the wagon begins to pull away with the group piled in, Beavis leaps from the wagon and faces the combined forces of evil.
“Losborst, you have forsaken me these last few hours. I call upon you now! Grant me the power to truly be your champion here and now!” Face to the heavens Beavis cries out for divine aid!

Alexander weakly reaches out to Beavis, “Don’t do it! Get back in the wagon!”
“Go Farhoud! Make for the fishing village, he has chosen his fate!” says Lars.
“Good luck to you Father!” cries Garrotte.
Sven prepares to leap from the wagon to aid Beavis when a beam of light shines down from above centered on Beavis.
A twenty foot tall glowing Losborst appears in front of Beavis. He looks about the battlefield and notices the wagon quickly departing downhill. “Beavis, the time has not yet come.” With a swift kick Losborst launches Beavis into the air. Halfway downhill the party is pursued by the snarling ghouls when Beavis lands in the wagon! A few well placed arrows from Chi and an assortment of hurled brik-a-brak from Moep seems to drive the ghouls off.
“That was too easy,” grumbles Lars “like they let us go. Stay wary!”
Farhoud slows the wagon but keeps a good pace headed towards the fishing village. Chi peers ahead along the road while Moep and Garrotte watch to the left and right. The Clerics also frantically work on the wounds inflicted by the undead arrows upon Emily and Garrotte. The sorely wounded Garrotte spots a group of cloaked figures lurking in the bush just of the roadside.
“My friends, there!” he points as the figures burst onto the road surrounding the wagon. The cloaked figures draw wavy bladed daggers from their belts, and cry “For our brothers!” Their featureless faces reveal them to be stragglers from the Pit!
“No More!” shouts Alexander standing up in the wagon arms outstretched and fingers pointed at the cultists! An explosion of light busrts from his fingers as a shower of mystic bolts showers down on friend and foe alike! The hooded men are slain or wounded and Chi kills one with a double arrow shot, as Alexander wide eyed and a bit haggard says “That’s right! Anybody else?” then collapses in the wagon.

The party reaches the safety of the Neptune’s Trident, a tavern in the fishing village. A valuable lesson has been learned by all.

Do NOT spend the night at the Manor.
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Great stuff!! Thanks for sharing!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

That is great! Would love to see a DCC RPG conversion.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”