Alignment problems in "Sailors", a little help. . .

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Blustar
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Alignment problems in "Sailors", a little help. . .

Post by Blustar »

Spoilers obviously!

It states on page 24 that such PC's are open to agreements with supernatural powers and also they align themselves with supernatural Chaos Lords at high levels. THey choose the path of greatest personal power. . .

Now we get to "Sailors" where the keep is a former stronghold of Chaos Lords. Is this not the Chaotic characters chance to please the Chaos Lords directly and join the fight against Lawfulness?

Should I punish the Chaotic character for acting against his alignment and taking away Luck points? ( If he prvents the ritual? Shouldn't he/she be helping them instead?)

I thought that a Chaotic PC was out for number one basically and if it coincided with the groups demands then they could co-exist. The way alignment is described on page 24 I don't see how a Chaotic PC can ever survive in a party unless they are all Chaotic.

There's a big difference, in my opinion, between breaking rules, flaunting authority, looking for ways to take advantage and aligning yourself with devils, demons, sinister monsters and Chaos Lords. One is neutral and the other is Evil. ( towards humans)

Are there two different alignments in the game? Human alignment where the rules are slightly different and cosmic alignment? ( what type behaves cosmically or even understands it, certainly not peasants)

Are chaotic characters at 0-level aligned with chaotic forces? Or do they want to be?

I'm trying to get the right tone, but it doesn't feel right to me. It seems that without Good or Evil, alignments are basically meaningless and subjective, kind of like real life. Chaotic just seems to be too broad a category. The description is on page 24 is fine it's just that then Chaos Lords and Devils share the same alignment.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Alignment problems in "Sailors", a little help. . .

Post by Vanguard »

It is quite the dilemma. I have a player with two Chaotic characters right now, and they are certainly disruptive. In the session of Sailors, he wanted to loot the houses of those who have been taken by the Beastmen. I let him (though he rolled a 1, so he stole mostly junk), but he does seem at odds with the more law abiding members of the group.

As far as withholding luck, I wouldn't. If he chooses a class where he would be in contact with the gods/agents of chaos, I just see that as opportunity for meaningful character development. For example, if the player becomes a Chaotic Wizard and he invokes patron, make the conversation about his transgressions against the elements of Chaos. Offer him great power, but at a price (he must atone for his transgressions and spread chaos).

It will lead to conflict in the party, but that is usually a good thing in my opinion.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Also let's not forget, that Chaos is chaotic... Infighting is quite common on their side.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Also let's not forget, that Chaos is chaotic... Infighting is quite common on their side.
Exactly. I seem to recall the Planescape faction the Xaositects randomly fighting with/for and against members of their own faction.

"The trick for a Xaosman, of course, is to become at one with the disorder of the multiverse. One cannot try too hard to be random and disordered, because that's not chaos. Neither is chaos always random... sometimes a Xaosman will just show up and start speaking normal, just to confuse you. The best Xaositects seem to have a knack for knowing exactly what you expect of them... and then doing something else."

This would seem to hold true for all Agents of Chaos, so your party members could feasibly attack, kill and loot other chaotics.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Blustar wrote:they align themselves with supernatural Chaos Lords at high levels
Not to be pedantic, but....your characters are low-level. They need to prove themselves worthy of the Chaos Lords before they reach those high levels. What better way to do that than start practicing early? :twisted:

Just sayin'.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
Blustar wrote:they align themselves with supernatural Chaos Lords at high levels
Not to be pedantic, but....your characters are low-level. They need to prove themselves worthy of the Chaos Lords before they reach those high levels. What better way to do that than start practicing early? :twisted:

Just sayin'.
"So dude, you broke into our fortress, stole our stuff, killed our minions. You have two choices: join an serve us, or we're going to do everything to kill you."
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”