Modules So Far - Love the Little Touches!

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Colin

Modules So Far - Love the Little Touches!

Post by Colin »

Really enjoying the little touches in the art of the modules so far. The Death of ol' Ratface in SotSS, including the silhouetted foreshadowing of his replacement. Love the replacement of His Baldness in PotP with the black sorceress from the DCC core rules, including the updated "We're With The Band" ad at the back, with the female cleric carrying RF's old medallion. Also love the nod back to DotSK in PotP in the pic "The Death of Kculdab of Hirot" (Badluck indeed!).

It's stuff like this that makes reading the modules a real treat. :)

Colin
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Modules So Far - Love the Little Touches!

Post by finarvyn »

I agree 100%. I keep getting confused on which modules have been released yet or not so I hesitate to give too many examples, but all of the pre-release stuff that I've seen has some really clever monsters, neat puzzles, and nifty bad guys. All with cool maps and wonderful flavor text.

These modules are honestly among the best I've seen in 35 years of gaming. (Along with the classic Gygax monochromes, of course.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Looks like somebody is paying attention. Thanks Colin. I'll keep up my end and keep an eye on Mr. Goodman.
Joe and I have worked pretty closely to both keep ourselves entertained and reward the perceptive.

One more thing you might not know is that RF had his first appearance in a playtest in the Chicagoland area (Games Plus) , and second in the skill section of the core book. Kculdab is also in the core book somewhere....
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Doug Kovacs wrote:Joe and I have worked pretty closely to both keep ourselves entertained and reward the perceptive.
Seriously, Doug...your art 100% rules. "Awesome-balls" as they new saying goes.

Words actually can't express how vital your art is to this game, but your pieces are absolutely essential to my enjoyment of the core book and modules...and I know I'm not alone in feeling that way.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Doug Kovacs wrote:Looks like somebody is paying attention. Thanks Colin. I'll keep up my end and keep an eye on Mr. Goodman.
Joe and I have worked pretty closely to both keep ourselves entertained and reward the perceptive.

One more thing you might not know is that RF had his first appearance in a playtest in the Chicagoland area (Games Plus) , and second in the skill section of the core book. Kculdab is also in the core book somewhere....
You're more than welcome; thanks for producing such fantastic covers and my favourite interior art too. :)

Yep, did notice RF in the Skills chapter illo. diligently trying to pick a lock. I'm kind of hoping that gradually, as others characters meet their grisly demise, the band (and accompanying "We're With the Band" ad pic) will change more and more, not just in member composition, but also in how surviving members are portrayed (such as with better gear/items, more scars, etc.).

Colin
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

You gotta post more often, Doug. You're still an "Ill-Fated Peasant." :lol:

Seriously, your art rocks! Especially the maps!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I think DCC RPG doesn't have a unified art aesthetic aside from the covers, which are all Doug, I believe.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
GreyM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by GreyM »

I got Doug to sign my LE Gold book at Origins and I was so hyped up I was just rambling on. His art work is amazing and if you've just seen his work in DCC RPG, you're missing a whole other side of his. Check out his web site if you haven't already :D
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Colin wrote:Really enjoying the little touches in the art of the modules so far. The Death of ol' Ratface in SotSS, including the silhouetted foreshadowing of his replacement. Love the replacement of His Baldness in PotP with the black sorceress from the DCC core rules, including the updated "We're With The Band" ad at the back, with the female cleric carrying RF's old medallion. Also love the nod back to DotSK in PotP in the pic "The Death of Kculdab of Hirot" (Badluck indeed!).
I am glad you are noticing. I was wondering if anyone would observe the changes in "the band." And there will be more changes to come!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Colin

Post by Colin »

goodmangames wrote:I am glad you are noticing. I was wondering if anyone would observe the changes in "the band." And there will be more changes to come!
Excellent news, and very much looking forward to seeing more such artistic flourishes and elements in future modules. :)

Colin

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”