We got about 3/4 of the way through it on Sunday -- most of the party was 1st level with one new player joining with 4 0-levels.
We finally finished Sailors -- I had two players that jumped in to play two existing characters (2 other players couldn't make it).
The ending was complete insanity. Two characters sneaked to the top of the ziggaraut (in the robes) while the rest of the party hung back offshore on the boat. What follows is a bullet summary of the insanity:
- Conroy Shadowstalker (wily thief) and Slan Hammerhand (doughty warrior) snatched the effigy, pushed the shaman into the fiery pit and managed to hold off the beastmen through an off the cuff complex bluff, while simultaneously fighting the acolytes. That is until Conroy threw the effigy (it began to get painfully hot) into the fiery pit. Beastmen and Molan made short work of them, and they were sacraficed.
- Handscar Cutter (wild warrior) and Wayne Toms (former wainwright, turned very average warrior) leaped from the ship into a fight -- held their own with missile support from the boat -- until four beastmen leaped aboard the boat...
- Pankas Darkeyes (mighty acolyte of Cherek the Bear God, Kallen Striver (archer of no mean skill) and Halfman (the halfling...self explanatory) set the boat afire with oil, leaped into the water, and took the fight to the ziggaraut.
- The party regathered on the lower part of the ziggaraut after defeating all but those beastmen left at the top (8 beastmen, 1 half-dead acolyte and Molan). The enemy advanced..leaping down the sides.
- While Halfman swam back toward the boat (no longer burning), the party fought bravely. Wayne Toms and Pankas Darkeyes fell to the Chaos Lord's flail, while Handscar Cutter leapt onto the Chaos Lord with holy water and short sword in hand -- Critical Hit -- Molan fell to a puddle of magma. Seven beastmen leaped into the water and swam for the boat.
- Halfman arrived at the boat to find the four slightly singed beastmen waiting for him. He leaped back into the water, swam under the advancing beastmen and arrived back at the ziggaraut just in time to be attacked by the animated magma of Molan's death throes. Handscar grabbed the armor and flail, backing away, Halfman swam out of the reach of the magma and it finally dissolved... That's when the rumbling started.
- Kallen Striver, Halfman and Handscar make a quick decision -- they leap into the water and swim for the boat -- hoping to grab onto the side and escape with the beastmen.
- Handscar forgets about the platemail armor stuff in and tied to his backpack. He starts sinking...he fights gravity unwilling to give up the armor...he sinks more...great blocks of stone are crashing and sinking around him. He struggles to the surface, only to sink again... and finally releases the backpack into the depths -- swims for it and makes the side of the boat.
- The massive wave slams into the ship -- Kallen Striver and Handscar roll natural 20's to hold on to the side of the boat -- but they need more...they burn 10 points of Luck each... Halfman rolls a 1... dragged away by the great wave and slammed into the ziggaraut...his broken body drifting into the depths of the Starless Sea.
- The ship exits the cavern into an underground stream that exits the cavern into a wide and sluggish river. The two surviving characters (3 hp and 5 Luck between them) drop off the side of the ship and watch it disappear into the sunrise...
All in all, it ended really well -- The situation for the final encounter seemed so overwhelming to the players as they assessed it, that they just took crazy and heroic chances. I gave them a little more rope because of it, and everyone had a blast -- even those that died.
Anyway, I'll repeat -- another great one Harley.
Here's the final count (in order of Death):
Anton Smith (Smith of Penwick) -- Killed by Death Vines (along with his two sons and nephew)
Elrick the Strange (Dwarven Miner from Feldor and Warrior, Hero of Hirot, Bearer of the Artifacts of the Savage King) -- Fell into the Well of Chaos
Kevril Wolfhunter (Hunter from Feldor, Squire, Hero of Hirot) -- Fell into the Well of Chaos
Jeman (Squire from Feldor, Warrior, Hero of Hirot) -- Killed by Beastmen
Miloh (Halfling trader from Feldor, Wanderer, Hero of Hirot) -- Killed by Beastmen
Coren (Gambler, Bandit, Hero of Hirot) -- Killed by Chaos Leviathan
Grag (Woodcutter from Feldor, Wildling, Hero of Hirot) -- Killed by Chaos Leviathan
Slan Hammerhand (Armorer from Feldor, Squire, Hero of Hirot) -- Sacrificed to Molan
Conroy Shadowstalker (Mercenary turned Thief from Ravdal) -- Sacrificed to Molan
Wayne Toms (Wainwright with a Sword of Hirot) -- Incinerated by Molan
Pankas Darkeyes (Wheat farmer from Feldor, Acolyte of Cherek the Bear God, Hero of Hirot) -- Incinerated by Molan
Halfman (Halfling warrior of Hirot) -- Smashed and drowned by the Starless Sea
The Survivors and their Exploits
Handscar Cutter - Outlaw of Penwick, Bandit, Destroyer of Molan, the Chaos Lord
Kallen Striver -- Mercenary from Feldor, Hero of Hirot, Drove off the Chaos Leviathan on the Starless Sea