Spoilers:Sailors on the Starless Sea...anyone played it yet?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Sailors on the Starless Sea...anyone played it yet?

Post by Harley Stroh »

I don't have a copy yet either, so at least you are in good company. :)

Since the first part of your order went through, I suspect the rest of your order is okay (though maybe lagging at the warehouse). Give Keith an email at keith at goodman-games dot com and he can confirm that Sailors is on the way.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
GreyM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Sailors on the Starless Sea...anyone played it yet?

Post by GreyM »

I figure I'll wait until the end of this week before I bother him any more :D
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Spoilers:Sailors on the Starless Sea...anyone played it

Post by Vanguard »

I ran this module yesterday. I'm not going to say too much about it on this post because a full review will be up on my blog either Wednesday or Friday of this week but: it's a whole lot of fun, and a great introductory adventure for the game. I'm actually running it this Saturday for a group of complete strangers at The Compleat Strategist.

My player (he ran it solo with one level 1 and six 0s) and I agree: the method of character creation in DCC RPG may not be ideal for every situation, but it's certainly the most fun. He rolled an Elven Sage who was illiterate, couldn't speak Elven, and who had, as per his trade goods, a quil pen and paper. Brilliant.
My Gaming Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

We got about 3/4 of the way through it on Sunday -- most of the party was 1st level with one new player joining with 4 0-levels. Highlights (from the DM's perspective):
  • The vine monster encounter -- the text of the encounter states that the two victims were sons of the village blacksmith... One of the 0-level characters was the village blacksmith... priceless. Even moreso because he joined his sons in the eternity. Bad day for the Smith family.
  • One character had almost all the magic items from Doom of the Savage Kings...then promptly fell into the Well of Souls -- she caught herself on the chain, and rolled 10+ on the minor corruption chart (knocked unconscious). Someone rushing up to save her also fell in... wonderful!
  • The looks on the player's faces when they nearly froze to death getting the big axe... only to find that no one had the Strength to use it...
  • The Leviathan fight...yeah...they fought it. Bypassed the room where they might have found a way around fighting it...but they fought it. They actually defeated it, but lost several characters (0-levels and hirelings).
  • The players (after wandering past several boons without searching/investigating) went the fully monty on the pool (and were smart about it...after general stupidity at the well), went into the under chamber and found the ring... I was impressed.
  • They enjoyed it. Really liked it so far...
Lowlights (from the DM's perspective)
  • I had problems with the map -- at area 1-1, where does the passage to the south (down) go? I don't know if I was just tired, but I could not figure it out. -- nevermind...now I see it. I was running it from the PDF, and I guess that part of the map was "under the fold."
  • Also, at first glance, I couldn't figure out what the land around the keep looked like -- I couldn't figure out if the party could even approach the castle from B, but I guess since it was described, there must be a way!
  • That's it...
I really liked the atmosphere and the fact that the module was completely genericized -- no work to fit it directly into the current campaign. I'm really looking forward to the climax of the module.

I'm trying to figure out what the effects will be that several artifact-level magical weapons just got thrown into the Chaos. Maybe nothing, but possibilities abound.

Another good one, Harley.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

ragboy wrote:Another good one, Harley.
Thank you, but these are truly team efforts. I can't tell you how much more I like "my" writing once it is developed, edited, and the maps are professionally rendered. And you really can't go wrong with the likes of Jim Holloway, Doug Kovacs, Russ Nicholson, and Stefan Poag.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I've got a review up here:

http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/2 ... -tell.html

If you want to know specifics about what happened, just ask.
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

ragboy wrote:I'm trying to figure out what the effects will be that several artifact-level magical weapons just got thrown into the Chaos. Maybe nothing, but possibilities abound.
I would just have the magic items show up later, just lying by the side of the road as the players pass by. Muahahahaha...
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Galadrin wrote:
I would just have the magic items show up later, just lying by the side of the road as the players pass by. Muahahahaha...
The player that lost the character was really depressed. She's fairly new to gaming and this particular 0-level was the best I'd ever seen (no stat below 13 and I watched her roll every one). I'm thinking of bringing the character back as a prisoner, ghoul, servant of a major bad guy, or something. Not as a character that is "recoverable" but just a nod and a hint that the magical items may have also survived. Who knows...
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

ragboy wrote:The player that lost the character was really depressed. She's fairly new to gaming and this particular 0-level was the best I'd ever seen (no stat below 13 and I watched her roll every one). I'm thinking of bringing the character back as a prisoner, ghoul, servant of a major bad guy, or something. Not as a character that is "recoverable" but just a nod and a hint that the magical items may have also survived. Who knows...
Totally. Go big. Maybe she's made a bride to a Lord of Chaos, and starts to mastermind revenge on the companions that "let her die."

//H

Dionysos
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dionysos »

Hello,

I still haven't received my copy. I have emailed Keith twice about it since Tuesday, with no reply. I preordered ALL of the adventures in December.

Is there anyone who can give look into this for me? At this point I'm wondering about the delivery timeline of People of the Pit as well.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Dionysos wrote:Hello,

I still haven't received my copy. I have emailed Keith twice about it since Tuesday, with no reply. I preordered ALL of the adventures in December.

Is there anyone who can give look into this for me? At this point I'm wondering about the delivery timeline of People of the Pit as well.
Dionysos,

Please accept my apologies for the delay. It's no excuse, but we're sprinting to catch up with a very successful launch.

I'm about 4 hours away from my work computer, but when I get back I will touch base with Joseph to see if we can't get this sorted out.

Thank you for pre-order, and again, please accept my apologies for the delay.

//H

Dionysos
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Dionysos »

Harley, thanks very much for passing that on. I've heard from Joseph about it.

I just wanted to make a public forum post about it to highlight the incredible customer service that Goodman Games provides. You guys are awesome!
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

I ran a second game of Sailors last night using the full 15 0-levels. This time, it was a TPK. I felt bad because it was my first time GMing for this group and their first experience with DCC RPG. They had a lot of fun, but there was the disappointment that character death also brings.

A word of caution: the final encounter is by far the most lethal. Delaying combat seems to be your best chances of survival.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Vanguard wrote:I ran a second game of Sailors last night using the full 15 0-levels. This time, it was a TPK. I felt bad because it was my first time GMing for this group and their first experience with DCC RPG. They had a lot of fun, but there was the disappointment that character death also brings.

A word of caution: the final encounter is by far the most lethal. Delaying combat seems to be your best chances of survival.
D'oh. Yeah ... the ending is intentionally rough. Sorry to hear about the TPK though.

//H

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Dionysos wrote:Harley, thanks very much for passing that on. I've heard from Joseph about it.

I just wanted to make a public forum post about it to highlight the incredible customer service that Goodman Games provides. You guys are awesome!
Thank you!

//H

Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Vanguard wrote:I ran a second game of Sailors last night using the full 15 0-levels. This time, it was a TPK. I felt bad because it was my first time GMing for this group and their first experience with DCC RPG. They had a lot of fun, but there was the disappointment that character death also brings.

D'oh. Yeah ... the ending is intentionally rough. Sorry to hear about the TPK though.

//H
It's okay though, I seem to have converted them. Our FLGS has a few copies of the limited edition and one of the players is en route to pick it up now. The kind of fun this game encourages is infectious.

Coincidentally, the player who is purchasing it is the one who initiated the TPK.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Vanguard wrote:Coincidentally, the player who is purchasing it is the one who initiated the TPK.
I would love to read a summary of how it went down. I have visions of "Leeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3602998196

//H

Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Vanguard wrote:Coincidentally, the player who is purchasing it is the one who initiated the TPK.
I would love to read a summary of how it went down. I have visions of "Leeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3602998196

//H
That's exactly how it happened actually. The players landed on the ziggurat, some wearing the cloaks, some not. A good portion of them managed to hide in the shadows, but there was one lone prisoner who failed his hide in shadows roll and was not wearing the cloak. One of the beastmen stopped one of the "acolytes" and asked, "Why isn't this prisoner in chains?" The acolyte quickly bound his hands with rope and thanked him for making sure no one escaped.

Then another player, wearing the cloak, who had found the axe, ambushed that Beastman. They did well against the onslaught of Beastmen that were suddenly rushing down the ziggurat. In the end, they were overrun.

They would have likely survived had the player not Leroy Jenkins'd the party.
crabus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by crabus »

I have some questions about this module:

Where go the way on left in map II 1-1 ? To B-1 ?
If no where go the way in B-1 ?

I don't understand why there are two opening for B-1 (northwest and southwest).
Northwest is when you try to climb the wall AND trigger the avalanche, no ?
When the southwest intro should be read, when you come from the courtyard AND the avalanche is triggered ?
DCCRPG Lille (france) : http://dccrpglille.blogspot.fr/
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Vanguard wrote:He rolled an Elven Sage who was illiterate, couldn't speak Elven, and who had, as per his trade goods, a quil pen and paper. Brilliant.
Sounds like my manager at work. :evil:
crabus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by crabus »

crabus wrote:I have some questions about this module:

Where go the way on left in map II 1-1 ? To B-1 ?
If no where go the way in B-1 ?

I don't understand why there are two opening for B-1 (northwest and southwest).
When the southwest intro should be read, when you come from the courtyard AND the avalanche is triggered ?
No idea everyone ?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

crabus wrote:Where go the way on left in map II 1-1 ? To B-1 ?
Yes, this leads to B-1.
crabus wrote:I don't understand why there are two opening for B-1 (northwest and southwest).
The southeast description is if the PCs arrive from area 1-1. The northwest description is if the PCs arrive from the courtyard.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
crabus
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by crabus »

goodmangames wrote:
crabus wrote:Where go the way on left in map II 1-1 ? To B-1 ?
Yes, this leads to B-1.

The southeast description is if the PCs arrive from area 1-1. The northwest description is if the PCs arrive from the courtyard.
It's maybe because I am not fluent in english but it was not obvious and I see no hint in the text.

Thank you very much.
reverenddak

Post by reverenddak »

I've ran it twice now, once at a con and once with my weekly group. This is an excellent 0-level funnel adventure, but it's also challenging for a few 1st & 2nd level players. My group had them all. The con players were a mix of zeroes and three that were 1st-level after surviving "Portal..." the night before. If this is your players's 1st DCC RPG game, make it VERY CLEAR that this is a funnel. Have them make 4-6 0-level characters, and have them randomly pick 3 or 4 to play. Take the extras for later. Don't be afraid to kill off characters.

Notes for the Judge: **SPOILERS FOLLOW**

Paragraphs kept dense so it's hard to "skim" or read on accident.

** SERIOUSLY SPOILERS FOLLOW**
There are a few opportunities to "restock" the party with more 0-level characters when they lose some characters (and they will lose a bunch.) Once in the "Beast tower" and the other time is after the "kraken" when they climb the ziggurat. The beast tower AND the tentacle monster will likely kill a few characters off, quickly. Having access to pre-made 0-level characters after brutal encounters like that will speed things up. A few freed from the tower can play immediately. I gave players opportunities to play some of the extra zeroes on the ziggurat and had them make saves to "shake out of it" and attempt to fight before being thrown into the pit. Neither group thought of using the hides in the tower as disguises, but the rot grubs really grossed them out and discouraged it. One group did take the robes from the skull-water room, but didn't think to use them as disguises to get to the top, so they chose to fight to the top. If the party gets over-ran, the beastmen should be trying to capture them to sacrifice to the chaos god. This is for good reason, 25 beastmen + chaos lord will kick 15 0-level character's ass in a straight fight. Delay the slaughter with their scrifices! Which gives them opportunities to do crazy (read: FUN) things.

After the game it is a good opportunity to share some insight on the dangers of bad "leeroy jenkins" habits. Tell them about the robes or hides and that they could have snuck to the top with their own set of "prisoners". Tell them the tricks this one time. But never again (some players hate knowing the secrets.) But remind them that they earn XP for surviving, not just defeating the monsters. Remind them to use Luck, and reinforce it by rewarding luck (once in a while.) The XP to level span is so wide at the top 0-level characters will catch up to the higher level guys pretty quickly, so it's OK to lose characters or make new ones. I've decided to have new characters start at 0, even though others are at 1st and 2nd. They'll catch up!
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
Vanguard
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Vanguard »

Yeah, I never had players try to use the censer, ever, and 2/3 of my groups found it. Oh well. I'm putting my own adventure together now, and I'm actually trying to draw! Haven't done that in, oh, fifteen years.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”