local color -- illustrations from various editions of the books

Appendix N is the literary wellspring of the DCC RPG. Discuss it here, along with related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

local color -- illustrations from various editions of the books

Post by catseye yellow »

i thought to put this up here. this is illustration on the cover of my first copy of moorcock's weird of white wolf. i thought that it could interest peeps to take a look at the appendix n stuff from around the world. this one is from my country - yugoslavia.

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Show off your Appendix N

Post by catseye yellow »

and some interior illos

first mistress of castle kaneloon receives earl aubec

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Show off your Appendix N

Post by catseye yellow »

elric summons mist and air elementals before raid on melnibone

just now realized that this could have been completely new thread/topi on the art sub-forum - let's call it 'local colors'.

i just thought that showing off differences in various local editions of appendix N books could really highlight in an interesting way how we see different aspects of fantasy. for example, for me this will always be elric and not something that rodney matthews (whom i adore) painted.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: local color -- illustrations from various editions of th

Post by GnomeBoy »

Here's a thread that shows off many examples of Appendix N cover art: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 77&t=25040

I don't remember there being interior illustrations in anything I've read to date...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Thanks for sharing this. It is the kind of stuff we would probably never see without the help. The last one in particular looks somewhat like a Roslof illo.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

Doug Kovacs wrote:Thanks for sharing this. It is the kind of stuff we would probably never see without the help. The last one in particular looks somewhat like a Roslof illo.
thanks. i call that 'soviet' elric.

this is elric navigating melnibone's maze.

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

GnomeBoy wrote:Here's a thread that shows off many examples of Appendix N cover art: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 77&t=25040

I don't remember there being interior illustrations in anything I've read to date...

first i posted all of these there but than i thought that it would be great to have some spot where we could unload illustrations from our local editions of appendix n books. i feel that it could be especially interesting when it comes to non-english speaking countries. there is a thread about the proper look for conan and someone, i think, doug kovacs mentioned that in a way proper look for brawny cimmerian was set as much as by frazzeta as by howard himself.

these images, especially older ones, harken to days before this visual dominance has been established. i find that fascinating.

here is elric lamenting over stormbringer.

Abacus Ape
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Abacus Ape »

I agree, Roslofian indeed. Lots of the old paperbacks had really nice interior pen and ink scenes. Seems like it maybe went out of fashion, a shame. They weren't always fantastic, but a pretty good % seem to be more than decent, and they always seem to have a lot of charm. Sometimes names would do them like Frazetta, Jeff Jones, Mike Kaluta. I love the idea for the thread.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I was surprised when I managed to get de Camp's Tritonian Ring and it had a couple of interior illustrations. Quite good illustrations.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “Appendix N”