Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Appendix N music
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:00 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

I thought it'd be neat to share ideas in one thread.

Anything drone/stoner in tone just summons the 1970s right out of the air... I'm currently listening to OM "God is Good" ... which will really fit well with a desert-y themed campaign like mine. And I think it makes for good background music, too. Sleep "Dopesmoker" / "Jerusalem" is great for that, too, also YOB's like that, but a little more "metal." OM is more like rhythmic chanting with a little bass.

Really digging this right now. I may try to play it tonight at the game.

Other thoughts include Steve Von Till's solo records, which are semi-Norse and just accoustic guitar for the most part, Lotus Eaters (entirely ambient), Sunn O))) (sort of evil-sounding drone), Black Sabbath (duh), Dio (double duh), bands like that. Obviously The Sword really evokes the sword & sorcery stuff (they're probably the MOST "Appendix N band" out there). WarHorse "As Heaven Turns to Ash" is also pretty solid.

Of course, Morbid Angel really evokes old school, evil sorcery type stuff. So if you have a Cthulhu-crazed campaign, it'd work well.

I'm interested in what other folks find inspirational as far as music... I listen to a huge range of stuff, but the above stuff is what really makes me think of a fantasy gaming campaigns.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

Post subject: Re: Appendix N music
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:07 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

I would recommend my nasakes "Hawkwind" who even have an appendix N author writing their songs and appearing on thier LP's

Blue Oyster Cult also have Moorcock connection

but best of all must be Bal Sagoth who have a constant appendix N theme to every song they have ever done

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:17 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

hawkwind wrote:
I would recommend my nasakes "Hawkwind" who even have an appendix N author writing their songs and appearing on thier LP's

but best of all must be Bal Sagoth who have a constant appendix N theme to every song they have ever done

Haha, Bal Sagoth... :-) Definitely a Warhammer-y feel to them.

I've actually never listened to Hawkwind I don't think, but I love Lemmy and Motorhead. 70s prog rock is great stuff too, old Yes, Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:32 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

beermotor wrote:
hawkwind wrote:

Haha, Bal Sagoth... :-) Definitely a Warhammer-y feel to them.

I've actually never listened to Hawkwind I don't think, but I love Lemmy and Motorhead. 70s prog rock is great stuff too, old Yes, Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc.

you should check two hawkwind Lp's for the appendix N stuff

Warrior on the Edge of Time which is lemmy's last one and has Mr Moorcock contributing lyric's and "Chronicles of the Black Sword" which is the Elric concept album

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm 
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

This topic comes up regularly on these forums. Check out these other threads for more (and some of the same) ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=41457&p=85956
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=22666
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21267

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:06 pm 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Hawkwind! Every album is like watching a newly regenerated Doctor! You never know what you are getting. That is why they are my favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:10 pm 
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Did anyone notice the title of a book on the shelf of the magic user's study on page 105 in DCC RPG? It's on the back wall to the left. The only volume with a legible title written on the spine is "Hawkwind"!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:39 pm 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

headspice wrote:
Did anyone notice the title of a book on the shelf of the magic user's study on page 105 in DCC RPG? It's on the back wall to the left. The only volume with a legible title written on the spine is "Hawkwind"!

I see it! But it's not the only legible title... I see "Gygax" as well below it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:51 am 
Wild-Eyed Zealot

headspice wrote:

I'm in the Book!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:06 am 
Ill-Fated Peasant

LOVE Hawkwind. "Space Ritual" was my intro to them many years ago. It's great.
I played a lot of Electric Wizard in the background recently at a DCC session and it was great. Really I don't think you can go wrong with any of the stoner/doom stuff. Rise Above (http://www.riseaboverecords.com/) has been putting out some great stuff. I feel like a lot of it has that Appendix N vibe. Check out the new Purson album along with Blood Ceremony, Uncle Acid, Circulus, etc. The list goes on and on.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:39 pm 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Just the name Electric Wizard sounds like they are worth looking into.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:28 pm 
Ill-Fated Peasant

I really like instrumental music these days.

The Re-Stoned - Northern Lights

Serpent Throne - Red Moon Harvest

STONERFRONT NIJMEGEN - Sector 11

Los Asteroide - Lazer

And if you dig the riffs, you could do worse than visit http://www.stonerobixxx.net/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:21 pm 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Just had to post that I bought my hawkwind trickets for October 18th in SF! w00t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 pm 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Got my Hawkwind tickets for Cleveland. Still my favorite choice for DCC background music. I cannot come to terms with the fact that I get to see Hawkwind perform Warrior on the Edge of Time live! The gods of chaos favor me!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:16 am 
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Aaaaaahhhhh! Cleveland is the closest they're getting to me, and there's no way I can travel that far on a Tuesday night. :(