Goodman Games

Fan Forums
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: outside the box
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Couple thoughts from computer games:

Ultima (especially 5; 4/6 to a lesser extent)
DWARF FORTRESS
NetHack

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

Post subject: Re: outside the box
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:11 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

What about them? Are these campaign ideas?

DCC RPG playtester 2011, C&C playtester 2003,T&T since 2003,
ADRP Since 1993, OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:28 pm 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Good places for ideas. Dwarf Fortress is pretty much the ultimate in procedural sandbox. It's also a good way to learn about how stuff gets made, why certain metals are better than others, etc. It's a cool low (really, no) magic fantasy setting. You could even use a screenprinted large map as a campaign world. (Not sure if you can print off the legends/history, but I think you can get to view it... so it should be printable as well. Huge, ready-made backstory if you ever wanted it or needed it.)

I really liked Ultima5's virtues system. I've always felt like there was something missing from the WAY people played fantasy RPGs. Ultima5 also squeezed an incredible amount of atmosphere out of very tight computing ability. The reagent system is kinda cool, too, I've always liked the free-form magic system. (Seems like spell components are always the first thing that gets chucked from D&D 3.x games, in my experience.)

NetHack is a great analog for "you're going to die. A lot. but it will be fun." DF has that as well.

Just some thoughts that I had, while I'm waiting on my book to arrive in the mail.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)
Str 10 Agi 15 (+1) Sta 11 Per 11 Int 17 (+2) Luc 10 (Unholy House). Align: C. AC: 14. HP: 13. Melee +1, Ranged +2. Crit: d8, I. Save: Ref +5, Fort +3, Will +4.
Spells: 1: Choking Cloud, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic (odd crystal growths), Magic Missile (mirror images), Runic Alphabet (Mortal) (ravenously hungry), Ventriloquism (rain of frogs)
2: Detect Invisible, Levitate (extremely difficult, d14), Mirror Image (20% chance to raise/lower luck by 1d3 points).
Equip: Ring of the Sand Djinn: +2 AC/saves, Invisibility for 1min/spellburn point, or unmake for great, unknown effect. Padded Armor, Longsword, Longbow, quiver w/20 steel-tipped arrows, 10 silver-tipped arrows, backpack, spellbook, quill and ink, sturdy parchment (10 sheets), 5 days rations, high leather boots, belt w/ belt pouch, gray robe, dark gray hooded cloak. Also carries 3 small mechanical toys: wind-up mouse, wooden puzzle cube, small jewelry box that plays a little tune.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:11 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

I've dreamed of a conversion of Darklands for a while. Great video game set in medieval Germany. Very sandbox and innovative in the RPG realm. High points are: Alchemist class (and a detailed alchemy system), Clerics that are similar to DCC wizards (saints are their "patrons"), great, what I call, campaign world control -- i.e. if you commit a crime in a city, that city (and possibly the greater area) has you tagged as wanted until you make amends; as well as a fairly complex reputation system that scales local, regional, national, solid economic system.

The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:26 am 
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Might & Magic and Wizardry series for me, especially Might & Magic III-VIII and Wizardry 6-8.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:37 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Thought about DF some more, and decided to share what a procedurally generated map looks like, for those who aren't familiar with the game. It's pretty badass, goes through a long simulation of uplift and erosion to place mountains, rivers, oceans, deserts, glaciers, etc. You can also tweak all of the parameters at world gen, in case you want tons of volcanoes or something.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39712087/world ... -10081.bmp

[Edit: 19MB file, so it make take a bit to load...]

[Edit 2: forgot to add, this is a Huge map, so you could generate a smaller one if you wanted.]

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:49 am 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

beermotor wrote:

[Edit 2: forgot to add, this is a Huge map, so you could generate a smaller one if you wanted.]

Very cool. I must find this game.

The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:13 am 
Cold-Hearted Immortal

ragboy wrote:
beermotor wrote:

Very cool. I must find this game.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Word of warning: very steep learning curve, and it's kinda like looking at the Matrix for a bit until your eyes adjust to the ASCII graphics. Once they do, though, it's more immersive than any slick-graphics game I've ever played.

RoM pbp:
Hamun Ry (Wiz 4)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:39 am 
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

beermotor wrote:

DWARF FORTRESS
NetHack

Amen! Dwarf Fortress is something else. Its so many things I cannot communicate properly. I actually just fell into a DF hole yesterday. Fired it up for the first time in over a year.

Nethack is, of course, full of flavor.

Orastes: Wizard - Grave Digger AL:C AC:10 HP:6 Weapon:Shovel -2 (1d4-2) 4/12/12/10/14/10
Tonunt: Thief - Weaver AL:L AC:11 HP:6 Weapon:Dagger -2 (1d4-2) 5/13/9(11)/5/6/13
Portly Trim: Cleric AC:11
Fritz: Thief AC:10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:32 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

ragboy wrote:
I've dreamed of a conversion of Darklands for a while. Great video game set in medieval Germany. Very sandbox and innovative in the RPG realm. High points are: Alchemist class (and a detailed alchemy system), Clerics that are similar to DCC wizards (saints are their "patrons"), great, what I call, campaign world control -- i.e. if you commit a crime in a city, that city (and possibly the greater area) has you tagged as wanted until you make amends; as well as a fairly complex reputation system that scales local, regional, national, solid economic system.

I remember that game. I had it. Can you even get it anymore? How do you remember the details of it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:32 pm 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

cthulhudarren wrote:
I remember that game. I had it. Can you even get it anymore? How do you remember the details of it?

*Poof* -- http://www.gog.com/gamecard/darklands

*Poof* -- http://www.eskimo.com/~mwirkk/dl/man/DL_man_TOC.htm

*BLAM!* -- http://www.darklands.net/

Like a thunderstorm.

My Gamer Profile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 am 
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

ragboy wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:

*Poof* -- http://www.gog.com/gamecard/darklands

*Poof* -- http://www.eskimo.com/~mwirkk/dl/man/DL_man_TOC.htm

*BLAM!* -- http://www.darklands.net/

Like a thunderstorm.

Thank you ragboy. I should have googled. Heck, with all the support I'm surprised it isn't available for xbox360!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:19 am 
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

#rub
What would you like to rub?
j - lamp
"You see a puff of smoke"
:mrgreen: