World Tour 2014 The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust

This forum is for finding other players, announcing games, sharing actual game play reports, organizing online games, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

World Tour 2014 The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust

Post by DCCfan »

This was my third game this year at a guild meeting with the least amount of players.
Lisa: Played a pregen 1st level cleric.
Joe: Played his 1st level wizard from last weeks Tower of the Black Pearl game. He also agreed to help me test drive a patron.
Eric: Played his 1st level warrior from last weeks TotBP.
Note: I tried but couldn't convince anyone to play a thief. With only three PCs I dropped the number of monsters and their stats. I also went over the patron with Joe at this time while Lisa read up on the cleric class.

Spoilers below...

After Shmee and the two survivors make it back to New Port they part ways. Shmee spends the next couple of weeks getting drunk and running his mouth at the Blade and Bottle. This attracts the thieves guild who are looking for Lisa's last character. She had promised to get the pearl for the guild. The guild boss decides to round up the PCs and make them an offer they can't refuse. After some role play the group agrees to break into Ogo's house and see what happened to him and his treasure. They negotiate a 50% cut of the take and a clean slate with the guild.

B-A I read the player start to them and lay handout A on the table. They decide to make a slow circle of the house to take it in from all angles. Eventually they decide to light a torch and look over the garden wall. Not liking the look of things they decide to explore the sewers instead. After some tense moments filled with strange noises and smells Eric stumbles onto a hole in the clay pipe. Not wanting to stick his eye or finger anywhere near the hole he gets out his hammer and goes to work. The boarded up secret passage is revealed and in they go.
B-B After taking a look around they barely step inside long enough to set the webs on fire. They can't believe that the wrapped men with spiders swarming out of their mouths were still alive. They twitch and moan and die in the fire. Their moans are almost drowned out by the shrieks and screams from something up above. They have no idea that they just killed the three spider/ticks in the garden. Joe searches the smoking bodies and finds the dagger and some coins. Lisa is spooked by the screams and keeps watch near the secret door.
B-C Eric inspects the empty pen and after a failed attempt to bend the bars he rejoins the other two near the ladder going up. Eric is sent up the ladder and pokes around with a dagger to check for traps. He discovers something solid on top of the trapdoor and after some deliberation decides to open it anyway.
1-5 A loud noise is made by the tipped over crate but after a few tense moments the all clear is given. After looting a couple of candles and a sack of flour the decide to move into the kitchen. Before they go they drag the heaviest barrel they can find over the trapdoor. Lisa also closes the door and spreads the flour in front of it to reveal any invisible stalkers that might be hunting them.
1-4 The kitchen is quickly searched and nothing of interest is found. They move deeper into the house.
1-2 They head into the store front and go straight to the safes. After seeing the open safe with the needle trap Eric decides to use his hammer again. This time he stands off to the side and hooks the handle to open the door and sets off another needle trap. He is rewarded with a sack of gems for his cautious approach. Lisa sees a glitter coming from an open safe and picks up a silver necklace with jewels. They press their luck looting the shop and set off a pit trap. Lisa and Joe are dumped into the pen below. Eric manages to catch himself but rolls a 1 trying to climb up and falls down with the rest. Joe's wizard starts bleeding out but Lisa's cleric is able to lay on hands. With a little luck burn she is able to save him. The wizard then casts rope work combined with a spellburn of five strength. He rolls a natural 20 and is able to lift Lisa up and out of the pen. She ties off the rope and the rest climb out. The gang shows up now and starts trying to break in through the front door and the trapdoor. I figure between the fire, screaming spider/ticks, and the thunderclap from the spell that the lookouts know that someone is in the house. They decide to run upstairs to the second floor.
2-1 The wizard is upset that the library has been destroyed and pouts. Lisa shuffles through some papers and tries to find some clues. A bad roll gives her nothing and the decide to move on after hearing the front door break.
2-2 As soon as the walk in their shadows are created and we go to initiatives. After a short battle the wizard falls and dies while the cleric throws a vial of holy water and extinguishes the candle killing the shadows. The wizards body is rolled over and Joe prepares to make his roll by saying not to worry. I got this I've been rolling low all night. You know what happens next. He rolls a 17 and is dead. :lol: Hearing footsteps on the stairs Eric and Lisa go into the next room.
2-3 They find a purple crystal at the center of a vortex of stars and galaxies. A couple of spider/ticks start moving and reveal Boss Ogo. We go to initiative and start the fight. Eric hits Ogo for 8 damage and watches as the wound immediately heals. He then turns his attentions to the spider/ticks and falls after a couple of hits. Lisa hangs on the longest. She casts word of command on Ogo but he matches her 22 spell check and saves. Then she tries ward against evil but the spider/ticks save and attack. Ogo has been spouting curse and promising doom to the PCs souls as well as failing to summon more spider/ticks. Lisa charges Ogo and stabs his hand causing him to let go of the crystal. She notices that he does not heal. Unfortunately she only has one HP left and Ogo knocks her unconscious with a wild roundhouse blow. The spider/ticks go to work wrapping up three new anchors for Ygiiz the Spider Mother.

Despite the TPK we had a good time. The board gamers invited us to play a couple of rounds of werewolf with them since our game was over early. We had fun hanging out with some of the other guild members that we normally don't game with. maybe I can convince a couple to try DCC next time.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

Return to “DCC RPG Community”